Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

My 2nd fill, Vanguard band and totally stressed!

{warning long post ahead!}

Ok, so I had my second fill today and it was a horrible experience. Ok not so much the fill but my interaction with the Dr.

Let me start off by saying that like a lot of people on these boards I went to Mexico to have my surgery. I knew it was a risk but it was the ONLY way I could afford to have the surgery done. I researched for a year found a dr. that I felt comfortable with talked to his office and his other patients for months and went ahead and had surgery in June.

I totally love my dr. and I had a great experience! I was banded with the Vanguard band. 4 cc's were put in at the time of surgery.

I had my first fill at the end of June and they put in 3.5 cc's so I was up to a total of 7.5 cc's.

I've just moved to a new state and needed some more restriction. Found a dr. that did mexican patients fills and went to see him today.

A few minutes into the fill he starts getting really worked up about the fact that I went to Mexico to have my surgery. Basically he told me that I was an idiot for going to Mexico that all Dr's in Mexico are incompetent. I totally stuck up for my Dr. and said that I had been very pleased with my choice. It just went down hill from there. He told me that I should have done more research and that I should have called him before I went to Mexico (hello! I just moved here and didn't know that he exsisted until last week!). I told him that I had researched for a year and felt confident with my decision for surgery.

Anyway here's the part that I'm stressed about. He said that there is no way that I should have been fitted with the large Vanguard band. He said only really heavy people 400+ lbs should be fitted with that band. He said because of my weight and size that I should have been fitted with the smallest band and at the very most the mid sized band. He says that he's worried because I now have 8.7 cc's in my band (as of today) and that my band should only hold 9 cc's and I'm still 80 lbs from goal. He said that in order for me to have restriction and achieve my weight loss goal and to lose everything that I need to that I'm going to need to be refitted with a smaller band. he said that he would do it for $15,000 or I could check and see what kind of deal my dr. would work out with me. I don't have $15,000 or even $1,000 for that matter. I put everything I had into this surgery.

He said once I get to 170-180 lbs that I'm not going to have any restriction and that there is nothing that he can do because my band will be at capacity and it will be way too large around my stomach. I'm stressed because I'm at 8.7 and I'm so far from goal.

I totally left the office crying. He told me not to be upset he just wanted me to have the facts.

Anyway I have a call into my Dr. and should hear back tomorrow. I totally love my mexican Dr. so please don't bash him.

I'm just not sure what to do.

Anybody else who has the vanguard have any thoughts on this?

I am sorry to hear that. I am also a Mexico Bandster. I have the 11cm band which I just found out is also known as the Vanguard band. I can say this I know (from here) that there are lots of us who have the Vanguard Band that are not even close to 400+ lbs. and some where banded in the US and some in Mexico, so I don't think it has anything to do with Mexico Dr's being incompetent.

I was and still am very happy with my Dr. in Mexico. I do miss not having him here for aftercare, But, everyhting has been just as he told me it would.

I am interested in what others have to say, I will follow this thread.

There are also a couple of very nice Dr.s that post and help out on here, maybe one of them will check the thread.

Try not to worry or stress to much until you get more information......please.

Ruthie,

I wouldn't be stressed out unless you were at a maximum of 10cc filled and weren't receiving the results you wanted.

See our thread on another topic:

http://www.lapbandtalk.com/showthread.php?t=9192

About half way down find my message with a link to a paper by Dr. O'Brien. On page three of that paper there is a graph showing the size of the stomach opening with the 3 bands (9.75/10/11 or VG) at different fill volumes. What you will see is that at higher fill volumes, the VG band has an opening just about as small as the other bands at their higher fill volumes.

I'm hopeful you will do just fine with your VG. Remember this is a journey for the rest of your life, and don''t get stressed out over one particular place in time.

Ruthie,

Here is information for the Inamed website. I think your Dr. was wrong. It says the band is used for patients with a BMI under > 45. At 400+ I think the BMI would be like 60.

Larger Perimeter Area

The LAP-BAND VG has a larger inner perimeter. This design feature provides more flexibility in allowing for:

• Patients with BMI > 45
  • Patients with larger anatomy (i.e. thicker gastric walls)
  • Patients that require a large amount of fat dissection

DOnt get discouraged..all you can do is go with it right now and prove him wrong. DO not go and get a smaller band, you may be successful..he doesnt know for certain you wont be. The Dr.s in Mexico in my opinion are more experienced then alot of the U.S. docs. I love my MX doc This is a lifelong journey there is no time table on when you have to lose this weight as long as you are going in the right direction and leading a happier healthier life is all that matters..I'm not at goal..I'm not stressed. I know I will get there one day. I'm not filled too tight I have 1.5 cc's in a 4 cc band and Im fine with it. Somedays I have to work at it and other days my band seems to do all the work. Patience is key here and just take things one day at a time is all you can do..dont get stressed. Have the mindset that this will take some time and you will do just fine I'm sure.

Dont Stress Ruthie!! I am sure everything will be fine! I dont even know what kind of band I have. My doctor showed it to me and it looked more like the VG in the article that Dr Hekier directed us to, but it didn't have the join. I remember him pointing it out and saying thats why he used that particular band because the restriction could be 360'. But I dont have any fill or restriction atm, and wont get any for a while sadly. But I'm hangin' in there. Its sounds like your doctor was just frustrated by lots of potential-patients running off to mexico and unfortunately you caught it! try not to take it personally honey!

Hello Ruthie(my middle name)

I went threw alot of contreversy I even called Don Mills at Inamed about the VG band, yes it’s indented for large BMI’s but I truly believe it’s a lease risk of slippage or erosion… so take the good and bad. I’d take your band to the need of restriction even if it mens 9 cc’s….I think these bands could possible could hold more, but your just startinging out.

Ruthie these bands do work with good restriction.

Mexican doctor placed my band and my second band. Some good Mexican doc's and some bad…I adore Dr. Sanchez…I don’t know who banded you, but I heard that Dr. Ren of NY only uses VG band because of low erosion/slippage…

Good Luck!

Hi Ruthie,

I have the VG band also. At surgery, my BMI was 40.6 /280lbs. Not what you would call enormous. My Dr. who has done hundreds of lapband surgeries says he perfers this band for most men because of anatomy. Maybe your Dr. felt that anatomy was the determining factor, and not merely BMI. I hope this helps you.

Ray

8/9/05

Dr.Snow

Fort Worth, TX

280/259/180

Why not just go back to your regular doc in Mexico for fills? Is it too far? Are you saving a lot by using local?

I was told that the size of the band has nothing to do with the size of the person but the size of the stomach. Someone can be of low BMI and have a larger stomach.

Hell, I dunno, but I wouldn't trust someone that bashes another medical doctor because of them living in another country. They don't even know your original doctor. I am not bashing, just merely saying... is it worth it to see this doctor when he obviously irritates you, upsets you and stresses you out???

Hi everyone!

Thanks so much for your words of encouragement. I feel so much better after yesterdays incident. I talked to my husband who is such a great cheerleader and I talked to my mom who went with me to Mexico. They both said that not to second guess myself and that I made the right choice for me. My mom who was very skeptical of me going totally fell in love with my Dr and said that she would go in a heartbeat and have him band her.

So I got an email from my Dr. in Mexico he said that he is sorry that I had a rough time with the fill dr here and then he said

"there are some doctors in the US that are only using the Vanguard band, it is the newest and it is not only for patients 400+ lbs. The small bands are high pressue and take only 4 cc and these VGs are low pressure and take up to 10cc, you still have room for plenty adjustment. Your fills will not be as large as the first ones, it is normal that the following ones are smaller. I have patients that come in for fills and only need tweeks, not really big adjustments.

In this case this doctor is not only talking bad about other Dr's but also about the product, he does not know how to use it."

He said that he has every confident that I will lose all of weight with this band. He said that if he had to do it over again that he would still use the Vanguard band because he felt like it was the best option for me and that he would monitor me and make sure that I was successful.

Anyway I feel much better.

Thanks again! I appreciate your kind, encouraging words.

Guest susan

Hi Ruthie,

Here is my story...I am a patient of Drs. Ren & Fielding of NY. I had a 4 cc lapband inserted in Dec. of 2004. Sadly my weight loss has been slow and I've had many issues, including considerable reflux. This necessitated frequent unfills. I lost 30 lbs and still have about 40 to go. Anyway, recently, after my first fluroscope, I was advised by Fielding to have my current band replaced with the VANGUARD BAnd. He believes my hernia may have slightly reopened and also that although I don't have slippage, the shape of my pouch isn't right. Additionally, he said his experience is that people like me whose esophagus may be more sensitive to pressure, the Vanguard BAnd is a better choice. Soooo, now I must make a decision.

The VG seems to have varied purposes. I am nervous to start this process all over again, however, he seems to be confident from his research that the VG has good results also.

Good luck! Any advice to me from those of you who might have similar experiences to me, would be appreciated.

Susan

Susan,

I had a larger band (sweedish) a year ago with no reflex or hearthburn of any kind. I also was dealing with a leaky band.

After being re-banded with a smaller(Inamed 9.75) band I frequently take Previcid and feel a bigger change.

he said his experience is that people like me whose esophagus may be more sensitive to pressure, the Vanguard BAnd is a better choice. Soooo, now I must make a decision.
This very interesting indeed

I will add all the reading I've done show a slower loose with bigger bands unless your willing to whatch everything you eat...

Wishing you the best!

Susan are they willing to re-band you for free?

I heard over 5 monthes ago that Dr. Ren uses only the VG band, claims it's the best.

I have the big VG band also. My Dr will only use these now, he says it is less chance of slippage and they are also more adjustable/flexible?? Something like that not sure of his exact words. I was around 260 lbs when banded and it has taken me 8 fills and 8.9mls to get good restriction. Once at this stage it is only .1 or .2 tweaking every now and then. My friend has found good restriction with 9.1 mls, another 9.4mls. So alot of ppl arent getting good restriction till about 8 or 9mls but it does happen. Dont be discouraged, everything will work out.

Good Luck

have faith! i'm 5 months out from my surgery and only have 4ccs in my vg band and my surgeon thinks its insane he said normally i should be up to 8 by now!! It is definately true later down the road you'll need very small fills to make a difference..

my suggestion....

find a new fill doctor that guys a jerkoff who is obviously inexperienced and cares more about the $$$ then the patient