Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Was anyone banded at a weight of 200lbs or less?

I weighed 196 on the day of my surgery 6 months ago ( I am 5' 5") and 186 two weeks after surgery. I weighed about 180 last week - so I haven't lost much due to the band (2 fills, 1 unfill). However, I have lost about 70 pounds altogether from my own dieting, then the pre-and post op dieting (espeically the liquid only). I had to do a 6 month pre-op diet. Not everyone does. So most of my weight I've lost on my own. The band has not made me less hungry. When I got my sonogram for my gall bladder before surgery the tech referred to my as "tiny" as compared to others. If you are at the low BMI don't expect those big weight losses you see posted on here by others who have much more to lose and who may not have been required to do as much pre-surgical dieting.

Cleos Mom, i don't understand, you say last week you weighed 18 but you hae lost 70 lbs, doesn't make sense? if you were a self pay this is very discouraging to me..... i am due to have surgery in April but than i read this.

Dear Cleo's mom, Thanks for some really good info. I guess I should have known we would lose less and less quickly because that's true without LB. Its always good for me to kind of reign in my expectations. There are so many posts you see where people have lost so much, but then they started much higher. As long as the numbers are going down, its al l good!

i too am 5'4" 210 pounds, hoping to lose 70 pounds. Self pay, wow lots of money. do you think it will be worth it for us?

Hi i am 5'4 209lbs

i am scheduled for the band on 4/17

i felt the same way when i went to the seminar, my bmi is 35 but my insurance approved it because of sleap apnea, etc.

i would love to loose 70lbs.

Hi everyone. I started the thread b/c I went to the weightloss seminar and appeared to be the smallest in the room. Everyone was friendly but I noticed a few people looking me over..

that is very common - in fact there's a thread floating around whether those 200lbs or less are "deserving" of surgery. BS - i so am worth it!!!

i don't do support groups at my surgeons practice for the same reason - everytime i go in .... you get the up-down. i don't care, my dr says i'm good advertising for his practice:)

i found all my support here and w/my DH who was banded w/me.

good luck all those w/upcoming surgeries!

i too am 5'4" 210 pounds, hoping to lose 70 pounds. Self pay, wow lots of money. do you think it will be worth it for us?

Yes I think it is well worth it. If you add up the costs of diet programs, gym memberships, pills and supplements for the last few years, I think you will be surprised how much you've invested into your goal weight.

If I am investing thousands of dollars into a procedure, you'd better believe that I am sticking with it, tooth and nail!! I feel like I'm at the end of my rope, been dieting since 2000 and still can't shake the size 14/16 body. I've never had any kids, I think my body hates me for some reason.

This is a race that I won't just finish, but one that I will win!

I was 241lbs when I decided I needed to do something about the weight. When I had the consult I was around 230 lbs. As of this morning I am 211. I have yet to get approval so with any luck I will be under 200 when I get banded. Oh, I am also 5'4" on a good day. I am doing this because I am sick of the yo-yo. Lose 10 gain 15.....lose 30 gain 40. It is time for it to stop. I wish you luck.

Hello everyone, I am so glad that 31andnew posted this. I have had similiar situations at the doc's office. I am also 5'1" and am currently about 187. I will be self pay because my insurance sucks. I absolutly think I deserve this, just like Luluc. I have tried for years to loose only to gain it back and sometimes gain more back than I lost! I know I can loose, its the maintaining that I cant seem to do, thats where the band comes in. I refuse to feel guilt over this, besides I dont want to be as unhealthy as my sweet mom is.

Tomorrow I see my surgeon to discuss my surgery date. I am sooooo excited, the sooner the better. I was told at one consult by the nurse that I would probably not have to do the 2 weeks of liquids, which can I tell you made me very happy! I will probably do low cal low carb for a week.

Anyway, enough ranting, I wish all of you happy loosing!

D:lol:

Hello everyone, I am so glad that 31andnew posted this. I have had similiar situations at the doc's office. I am also 5'1" and am currently about 187. I will be self pay because my insurance sucks. I absolutly think I deserve this, just like Luluc. I have tried for years to loose only to gain it back and sometimes gain more back than I lost! I know I can loose, its the maintaining that I cant seem to do, thats where the band comes in. I refuse to feel guilt over this, besides I dont want to be as unhealthy as my sweet mom is.

Tomorrow I see my surgeon to discuss my surgery date. I am sooooo excited, the sooner the better. I was told at one consult by the nurse that I would probably not have to do the 2 weeks of liquids, which can I tell you made me very happy! I will probably do low cal low carb for a week.

Anyway, enough ranting, I wish all of you happy loosing!

D:lol:

TXmomof4 - Looks like we are kindred bandsters!

31andnew, i thought that same thing! Whats weird is that even though im in Texas, my hubby has an office in Tampa. I was just there last week with him. Maybe we could meet sometime when I am there. Do you have a band buddy yet? We could keep up and give each other support....

D:redface:

I am 228 right now..by the time I go in to be banded on April 6th (after pre-op diet), I expect to be about 218 and I am 5'2". The only medical problem I have besides my weight issue is Polycystic Ovary Syndrome, and I got approved by my insurance in less than 3days. I will be going on my pre-op diet next thursday (as instructed by my surgeon), and hopefully everything will go smoothly 4 days later when I am in surgery. good luck to you, the juice is deff. worth the squeze!

Hi I am also at 215 weight and would love to lose 70 lbs, I have everything done, waiting for insurance approval. I am really excited to start my new life. I also have high blood pressure and just found out I am a borderline diabetic. I am 54v years old and am 5'41/4". So i am also at the low end. What scares me is heart problems are bad in my family, my mom was 49 died with massive heart attack and brother was 46 and died the same way. Me I want to be here to enjoy my grandkids and live a long and healthy life. I am so excited to get this show on the road and work hard at losing this excess baggage. On to a much better me.

Good luck to you and hope yours is soon also.

Thanks for all of the input. Glad to know that I have band twins out there. I posted in another section to ask if folks with lower BMIs have quick weightloss like those with higher BMIs. The other bandsters say that lower BMIs drop weight quickly if not quicker than those with high BMIs and make it to their goal weight faster.

Now I'm no rocket scientist and I can't attest to the validity of the statements but it sure did sound good when I was reading. Makes me more excited to get going.

Confession: I can't wait to wear sexy work out gear and start power walking again!! Been a while since I turned heads, I think I can get used to it again

I was glad to hear what you wrote about your research on year about the low BMI, I hope that this is true that the lower the BMI the faster you lose weight, I can't wait to start shedding these pounds and to start feeling better.So glad this site is here to help us out and to discuss all the things going through our heads before and after surgery. This is a great support group. Thanks to alll of you.

i am 3 weeks post op. i had my surgery on march 2nd.. the best 28 minutes i ever spent. i have my first fill april 14. i was 217 when i decided to look into the lap band. i am now 182. thats 35 lbs . so far. i am 5'2 and i was told by everyone i did not need this.. just cut back and all the crap we all have heard. i told nobody except my 23 year old daughter and my support person /boyfriend. well march 17 we went to a party and my 3 sisters and my mom all said i looked great and how am i losing weight. we all crowded into a tiny bathroom as i lifted my shirt and showed 3 tiny scars and 2 1 inch incisions. they all we shocked and my younger 150 lb sister said i am so jealous. i said its just a tool not a cure.