Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

symptoms of gall bladder issues

I once had an attack so bad that I handed my newborn daughter to a perfect stranger because I thought I was having a heart attack and they called an ambulance for me.

Thank you for all your responses, they have been very helpful. My pain is more of a toothache, on my right side and sometimes going to my back. I have had it after my morning coffee, after lunch one day and it can last for a couple of days then go away for a while. I am going for a fill tomorrow and I will mention it to my surgeon. I have heard how painful it can be and I definately don't want to get to that stage, but I must say I am not anxious for surgery again. I will let you know how I make out. I love this board, it is so helpful!

Here is my update, I went for my fill, metioned my issues and my surgeon ordered an US, he wanted to rule it out. It took a week for the results, but I am the owner of a gallbladder filled with stones. I continue to have good and bad days. I am going to make an appt w/my surgeon this week for a fill and discuss my options. I have a vacation planned in June so I want to get it taken care of before that. Thanks again for all your posts, they were very helpful.

Had surgery on 5/12 to remove my gallbladder. At home recouperating. The surgery wasn't bad, but I had a great deal of nausea from the anesthesia which I had not had previously. Glad it is over with.

This may be obvious...but if you got a post op diet for this (I did; don't remember it now but was to eat liquids for a day or so, then soft etc...) do it. People who have problems post gall bladder removal seem to have starting eating "normally" too soon. Just like post op with the band, you need to heal.

Glad it's out; you'll feel much better soon!

Mine comes out on my one year bandiversary.:)

i had my gallbladder out 13 years ago. for me, it would occur 2 hours after eating anything spicy, even just seasoned chicken. it felt like something was standing on my stomach. the pain would last about 30 minutes and then be gone. it was a horrible wretching pain, and i'd usually end up in a fetal position. i was glad to get that sucker out !!!

I just had my gall bladder removed on Friday. I was told I developed gall stones because of the band. A certain percentage of people get them after being banded due to the amount of weight dropping so quickly or change in diet or something. I wish I had known about this before the banding. I thought my band had broken loose and was floating around in me. GALL STONES SUCK!

I am still not having any bad pain, nothing related to eating and nothing like the gall bladder attacks I had years ago..just an uncomfortable stitch in my right side. It does seem to come on when I walk for too long. My surgeon is not convinced that what I am feeling has anything to do with the gall bladder but he said we will remove it then we will go from there. Almost makes me want to just skip the surgery for now. He did say that he can do it in one small incision so it doesn't sound too bad.

Good luck Jodi -----my galbladder attacks felt like I have heard a heart attack described - pain in the middle of my breast area that radiated all the way around my back. It was worse than labor - I had 2 children naturally (yeah Navy Hospital) I wouldn't wish that pain on anyone - I didn't have stones though, I had a thick grey Fluid in mine that wouldn't let anything pass through the bile duct! Good luck - it's an easy surgery to get over!!!!!

I just found out last thursday i have gall stones as well. I would have attacks where i really felt like i was dying. The pain was so bad, all i could do was lay on my back and grip the side of my bed. my pain was right below my breat bone and to my back. be very careful of greasy foods/fried foods. Im supposed to have my GB out next month

Had my gallbladder out 8 months before I had my Lap Band surgery. The doctor said that my gallbladder had so much scar tissue wrapped around it she thought she was going to have to do an open surgery instead of Laprascopic. Thank God she got it out and I was driving my car the next day! I was at church camp 9 hours from home when the pain hit. It was in the middle of the night and I thought I was going to die! My roomate got up and tried to comfort me and I told her to go back to bed, I would die in peace! LOL

The pain under my chest was worse than child birth, couldn't even sit up!!!! OMG! Never would wish that on anybody!

I suspect my gall bladder is sending out a few brief warnings too.

Either that or its gas, as it came on once after drinking diet coke. The other thing that appears to set it off is cold things like ice cream.

I get a pain I would describe as colicky, like it feels like the muscles in my stomach are in spasm and locked tight and it does radiate to my back and makes me scared to take a deep breath. Its a real ache, very painful and it aches up my esophagus and into my cheeks and the roof of my mouth. There is NOTHING that relieves it - like with labour or period pain, you curl into foetal position around it, there is no position to get into which relieves the pain. For me, I've had four or five attacks of this since banding, where it lasted half an hour or so and occasionally I'll get just a shadow of it, but it doesnt turn into anything.

It feels as if its my stomach but no nausa. It could easily be gall bladder. I've got my head in the sand at the moment. I figure if its going to get worse, I'll know about it soon enough.

Or, it might just be a spasm in my my stomach muscles set off by the cold food. But it doesnt feel like the pain before you're going to vomit.