Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I have GERD and Gastro Pariesses...

Does any one know how the lap band can affect these two disseaces? If you don't know what gastro pariesses(I probaly spelled it wrong) is, it's a digestion problem where the nerve that controlls digestion your stomach is dammaged. You digest food slower than you should so sometimes after you eat you end up vomitting a little because there's no room. I know having gastric bypass can make you get it if a certain part is cut. But does any one know if this could keep me form getting banded? And for any one who has or had GERD that got banded did it get better??? :tongue_smilie::confused::thumbup::confused::tt2::confused::lol:

Kaitlyn, I must say this is the first time I have run into gastroparesis on this board. But to be honest I believe that is what I have too. I have only been diagnosed with GERD b/c I dont know how many doctors just dont listen to what I have told them. I was prescribed Reglan before (it is a motility drug that makes the food move faster thru your stomach) but it makes me fall asleep. And I do mean literally fall asleep. I took it before dinner on a cruise one night and fell asleep at the dining room table.:tongue_smilie:

Does yours flare up and then go away? Mine does that all the time. And I notice it happens (the vomiting part) mostly when I drink after I eat and since we are not supposed to do that with the band then I am hoping it wont be a problem. Also if you look at what people on here call a PB that sounds like what I do all the time when mine flares up..LOL Gross huh?

I dont know if this helps but it is sure nice to see someone who kinda knows what it is like.

Jen

Edited by Jenfs5

You need to talk with your surgeon...and so should Jenfs5. I don't know if it will stop you or not but you need to advise your doc and ask him. You would be furious if he withheld important information from you; to intentionally omit data like Jenfs5 is doing is no better.

Odds are he'll have you do extra tests and perhaps put you on some medication (there are others besides Reglan) but you need to be up front!

monkey,

Thanks for your concern. I guess I should have been clearer and said that the only thing I did not tell my surgeon is my suspected self diagnosis. He is aware of all my symptoms and multiple tests I have had and multiple medications I have been put on. I even had to do yet another upper GI for him. So for me that makes about 3 or 4 upper GI's, one upper GI small bowel follow thru (in which case they gave me so much barium to get it moving that they said they could not give me anymore and had me walking up and down the street to see if it would move), an EGD and multiple ultrasounds.

JENfs5 Thanks for taking the time to clarify for me without blasting me for fussing at you! I'm sorry you've had so many tests but glad for you that nothing will stop your band. Good luck! I'm sure you'll be very successful!

JENfs5 Thanks for taking the time to clarify for me without blasting me for fussing at you! I'm sorry you've had so many tests but glad for you that nothing will stop your band. Good luck! I'm sure you'll be very successful!

Thats ok, when i re-read it it did sound kind of like I was keeping something from my doc. I was just so excited to actually hear from someone out there whose symptoms sounded so like mine that I got carried away. :smile:

I am in the process of being diagnosed with what may be gastroparesis. I have been banded for two years and have lost 90 pounds. I do not have diabetes. But my doctor thinks it is a vagas nerve problem. It is not intolerable and I would never choose to have the band removed for this level of discomfort.

I am a diabetic and had fairly severe gastroparesis years ago. I went on a low carb diet and got my sugars in excellent control and took care of the gastroparesis at least I thought. After I was banded, I have had a mild form of it prop back up. I need to take short acting insulin in the morning to take care of it for the first time ever. I think the band puts at least a little pressure on the vegus nerve and causes this. I know it helps to eat your dinner early and not snack in the evenings. I do this now and it is much better. Best of luck with it!!!!