Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Christian Bandsters - Let's get down to some facts.

Hey Gang,

Lap Band Talk has so many subgroups that it is easy to get lost (probably why there is only one long Christian thread active).

So this is beyond just the standard "I praise God for my band" statement... Let's talk the band and our faith.

I will start out by saying that while I have had my band for nearly 8 months, and I am a strong Christian, I have to say that I am one who does not equate the two directly. So I would like to know how you balance the two, so to speak.

I have a master of divinity from SMU, pastored for 7 years in smaller United Methodist Churches in east Texas (1991-98). As a musician, Off and on during the past 30 years, I would also do Christian concerts that incorporated faith. Since I am a good songwriter, but have a bit of Bob Dylan in my voice, I incorporated a lot of comedy in my concerts (both in my songs and in my "between song banter"). Since I have at times weighed as much as 450, I never had any problem joking about my weight, and weight never was a problem with my weight.

I say all that to say that weight and faith have not been in conflict with me - I have not noticed a difference now that I am losing. God's love is still there for me fat or thin.

But in glancing through the 95 pages of Christian bandsters thoughts, mostly surface thoughts, I see all sorts of comments about "I praise God for my band."

So I am asking, what is it about the band, about weight loss, or even about your fat life prior to the band, that relates to you as a Christian.

Thanks for sharing.

I believe in miracles.

I believe in miracles are worked through other people.

I believe in miracles are worked through other people like the ones who thought of, developed, and created the Lapband.

....and my surgeon, my doctors, and me.

The Lord works in mysterious ways and the band has been such a blessing in my life.

Weight is just like any other ailment. We are delt cards in life and we just have to play the game. I don't feel I was being punished by gaining all that weight [was injured in the military and lost mobility and gained weight over the course of several years].

My faith hasn't been effected by my injury or weightgain and it hasn't changed because of my weightloss.

My testimony of miracles has indeed been strenghtened.

My LB surgery is scheduled for one week from today. I have been struggling with the thought that getting the Lap Band is cheating - going around behind God's back, so to speak. But I have decided that getting the Lap Band is my helicopter. You've heard the story about the man stranded on the roof of his house with flood waters all around him praying for a miracle . . . . . God sends all kinds of people and resources, but the man doesn't see that they are from God. God even sends a helicopter, but the man ignores it. He dies in the flood and in Heaven asks God why He didn't save him. Well, I am now looking at the LB as my helicopter. :wub:

I agree with you MelanieAnn... Lapband is my helicopter too! I believe God has worked all this out for my good! To sit back and think that I only started thinking seriously about this last October... just had a new insurance policy that had a pre-existing clause... so I couldn't have surgery until after June 09... then the pre-existing clause was waived... then I was going to have to come up with $1200 up front... which is not a huge amt compared to what others have to pay... but this is a huge amt for me.... and the money was just there when I needed it to be... and I had surgery one week ago, April 8th! He has worked all this out for me. I've been very blessed and very healthy....and was just starting to have some problems with my health and He worked this out for me! So yes, this is my helicopter and I'm gonna fly with it! As high as He has for me and do all I can for the Glory of God!!!

PTL I have had my band since February 20th. It has been a real blessing to me. So far I have lost 15 lbs. Getting to the point of surgery really strengthened my faith.

Before LB I was living in the sin of gluttony. (eating more than my body needed) I always knew that God forgave my sin of gluttony simply because I was his child and when he looked down upon me, he saw Jesus in me, but it was still hard for me knowing that this was a sin in my life that I could not conquer on my own. I never gave up trying to lose weight on my own, and God knew me and knew that I 'wanted' to be able to stop overeating. (remember the beatitudes? Blessed are those who hunger and thirst for righteousness, for they will be filled.)Well, I see it as God has 'filled' me! lol I have hungered and thirsted for freedom from the sin of gluttony, and God has provided the way for me to be free.

I know I prayed alot before making this choice. I believe this is the tool God gave me to become healthy. God is not limited in the ways He can use. With the lapband I still have to make right choices in the kinds of foods I will eat.

I am involved in a Sunday school class @ church, we are using First Place Bible study series. It talks about a life that is balanced, physical, mental,emotional and spiritual. It has been great. All the girls in the class are losing weight but also studing the Word. The lapband is a answer to prayer for me. MiMi

Hello Everyone,

This is my first post in the Christian thread. I am not banded yet, but I feel God has sent my surgeon, the band, and all involved to me. I am in the same boat as ldeere2005 financially. I am disabled and live on a very limited income, so coming up with the $1000 I have to pay down has been a huge concern for me. Well, I had a financial source I never expected send me the money. I feel that was a God send. Right now I'm waiting on the hospital where my surgeon practices to get their Center of Excellence certification, but I am sure it will be very soon. Yes, I know God loves me right now while I'm fat, but I know He will also love me when I'm thin again. I have almost every co morbidity, including hypertension, diabetes, sleep apnea, etc. I am looking forward to being healthy again. I don't think I'm wrong in believing that God has sent this to me.

Joan

The only reason I see the two as intertwined is this: I have ALWAYS struggled with my weight and I have ALWAYS struggled with my faith. I find that as I become more accepting of myself at any size, I become more acceptable to the fact that God does love me, fat or thin.

Now, keep in mind the fact that because I accept myself does not mean I love the fact I am still 295 lbs. I find that as I accept my faults it is easier for me to lose the weight, and easier to see the light of Jesus in any place I look.

Now if only God would grant me the gift of being able to say what I want to in a clear manner...lol.

Steve,

I started a blog in June as soon as I found out I'd been approved and was given a surgery date of June 18, 2009. It speaks to my journey as a Christian with food addiction who has chosen bariatric surgery. I think you might enjoy it. It's at: IF YOUR STOMACH OFFENDS YOU, TIE IT OFF