Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

reflux and ulcer issues

I had lapband surgery in June 2008. I had some GERD, acid reflux, and minor stomach ulcer issues before that and was on protonyx. After surgery the surgeon kept me on protonyx, which I still take. 6 months after surgery, I had some stressful things going on and I began to get reflux issues. I went for days not sleeping, because everytime I would drift off to sleep I would get reflux, even if I had eaten hours before. I would get awake choking and sputtering from the reflux. I have tried sitting up in a chair, but it still happens. All day long I am constantly belching and getting reflux, It's tough to get a night's sleep. If I take any tylenol or eat anything Tomato based, cirtus based, or spicy, I throw up most everything for several days. The surgeon took some saline out of my band, saying I had pressure in it. For about 2 weeks I was better but now the reflux/sleep issue has gotten worse again. I have an appointment to see a gastroenterologist. I'm not losing much now because of having some taken out of the band, despite throwing up almost everyday. I'm just very frustrated here. My stomach feels as though it's constantly on fire. I am afraid I will have to have my band removed for GERD reflux and ulcer issues. Has anyone else experienced this. I thought the GERD would get better after losing weight. I am down 75 pounds now. Somehow it just seems to have intensified my previous stomach issues. Any thoughts, input or experiences would be greatly appreciated.

I'm sorry you are going throught that. I don't have an answer but I am going through almost the same thing. I was banded in Jan 2008. While I was reading your post, I was thinking that it could have been me writing it. I thought if I fell asleep sitting up it would help, but it doesnt. I have been taking Prilosec and I eat really way before I even attempt to sleep but to no avail. My problem is that if I have enough of a fill to have good restriction, I also get the acid reflux and that's what I'm going through now.

Hope you feel better soon.

Alfie

I had an ulcer prior to banding and have had some GERD, but nothing like what you describe. I've been on Nexium, Prilosec and now Aciphex. Prilosec is definitely the weakest of the PPI drugs. Nexium gave me some side effects and Aciphex is just right for me. I think that both of you may need to ask your docs to try some other treatments. I tend to have more reflux just after a fill. As my band loosens, the reflux goes away. Also, for a short time when the Prilosec wasn't working, I took Pepcid in addition to the Prilosec. That really did calm things down, but I'm not sure it's a great idea long term. You can check with your doctor. I hope this helps.

Cindy

Hi:

Is it possible that you have a hiatal hernia? I had reflux for years before banding. When I was banded he repaired my hiatal hernia too. Hardly ever have heartburn anymore.

Hope you get better soon.

Sue

Thanks to those of you who replied. It's nice to know I'm not alone. And I appreciate your words of encouragement. I saw the gastroenterologist today. He has scheduled me for and endoscopy and prescribed a new medication called KAPIDEX. It's a quick and slow release medicine for reflux. The dr. did scare me when he asked if I had ever had an ultrasound on my aorta. He pushed in all kinds of places and asked if I felt pain but I didn't. He could not understand why I get stomach pains and more reflux when I take tylenol. I'm rather nervous now, not knowing what he may find when I get scoped. I don't want to have had to go through all this lapband procedure only to have to have it removed. A fellow lapband friend said she read some information about band sizes causing reflux. That the band which holds 4 ml, the chances of pressure build up and reflux were greatly less than with a larger size band. I have a band which holds 10 ml. I would be interested to know if the people with reflux issues have a bigger or smaller sized band.

Well, as an update to my original post....I went to see a gastroenterologist and he reccommended having an endoscopy. I had the test a few days ago. It showed some minor irritation in the bottom of my stomach, but everything else was normal. He saw evidence that my pouch had stretched. I did not think it was possible to have the pouch stretched, according to the dietician that does the support meetings I go to. The gastro dr said he suspects I eat too much. I have now lost 80 pounds since June 24, 2008. In those almost 9 months, I don't think I could have been eatting too much. But maybe so, who knows. A gastro dr knows all about stomachs but not much about bands. The surgeon who implants the band knows all about the surgery yet not much about what complications can follow. The gastro dr did put me on a new stomach med called KLAPIDEX, a slow release medicine for esophogeal erosion and GERD. I have felt much better since being on this med. And am trying not to eat 'too much'. I still do get the reflux, burping, belching, and sleepless nights, just doesnt seem as often. So maybe being on this med for awhile will help.

Have you ever been tested for H. Pylori? I'm not banded but have lived with up-your-nose-reflux and heartburn for years. I did not do anything until I started getting this weird pain in my stomach. Well, I am pretty sure I had a ulcer - since I don't have insurance there was NO WAY I was having a endoscopy, but the Nurse Practitioner did a blood test and it came back for H. Pylori bacteria. I'm still on the antibiotics for it along with Nexium but have had a episode since. It very well may be the band- but you may try the testing first. I hate thinking I've been living with this since I was 13 and 115 pounds through to now- 26 and 220 pounds I am also grateful it's getting taken care of before banding.

Hope this helps maybe!

As part of my endoscopy some tissue was sent to be biopsied for H. Pylori. I have not heard about the results of that yet. They said it would take a week to 10 days for testing and I go back to see the gastro dr in 4 weeks. He did not mention anything about hiatal hernia either, so that was not an issue. I do think stress plays a part in all my issues as well. And the band seems to tighten and I throw up more and get more reflux when I have ahd a stressful day. I will be interested to see the results of the H. Pylori test.

I just had an endoscopy today. Thought it would be a breeze (like the ones I've had before) but they did biopsies and I was in tons of pain and sick most of the day. I remember he said there was some scaring. Then, went for upper GI. I go back to the doc on Monday afternoon.

I'm a little nervous. I was supposed to have a fill on Thursday but he sounded like that wasn't going to happen. All sorts of scenarios are going through my head. Especially since the office said that he normally doesn't see people for 7-10 days after the procedure. He definitely wanted to see me next week. Oh well, need to stop thinking about it because worrying will make more stomach acid and that's the last thing I need.