Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

So I received my CPAP machine on Monday... I have now tried unsuccessfully for three days to wear this thing through the night. It's getting to the point where I'm actually getting anxious and all worked up before bedtime. I even tried wearing it while watching tv for a while to get used to it before trying to sleep... But every night, by about 12:30-1:30, I wake up and I feel like I can't breathe, and I freak out and take it off.

Help! I need to wear this thing, and it's got the little chip in it so they'll know if I wore it. I REALLY want this surgery, and I seriously could cry because I hate this thing so much. :tt2:

Does anyone have ANY suggestions about making it easier? I'm losing sleep, and it's affecting my work. I have considered taking an over the counter sleep aid, just to get me used to using it.

The ironic thing is - I never really had any problems from the apnea... I am always refreshed when I wake up, I have plenty of energy, etc. I don't ever actually STOP breathing, I just breathe shallowly. I guess a co-morbidity is great, but still. :tt2:

Help! (again)

Edited by mandilou

Why do you HAVE to wear it in order to have the surgery? I know that many insurance companies who require co-morbidities before they will approve lap band surgery consider sleep apnea as a co-morb., but I never heard that you must treat it before they will approve operation. Does your surgeon require it?

My surgeon was going to have me tested and I told him I sleep fine but that even if I didn't I would never wear the mask thing (personal issues, my mom died of emphysema) and he said ok and didn't require the test.

??

If your apnea is caused by obesity (and many, but not all, cases of apnea ARE tied to obesity) then losing will "cure" it.

So, I'm puzzled.

Anyway people I know (from chat boards) who do have the machines say getting the correct mask is VITAL. If you have to have it, maybe you need a different mask.

Good luck. I feel your pain!

Hi, I would also suggest calling your doctor. Your pressure could be too high. That was the way with me when I started losing my weight. I could no longer wear my mask. Also are you a side sleeper or do you sleep on your stomach or back. If you sleep on your stomach, you may need a new mask. There is one called the comfort lite 2 and it is made for people who sleep on their stomachs. It was really comfortable. Also is your machine set on a ramping cycle where the pressure increases over a 5 min. period or longer. This will help you get used to the pressure. In the end call your doctor and they can also give you tips. :tt2: Good luck and hopefully you will not need your machine very long.

My Dr. gave me a perscription for ambian (not sure about the spelling) so I could get used to the machine. It work some nights, but some nights I just took Tylenol PM, it helped me sleep pretty good. My machine also had a ramp button that started the pressure out at 4 and increased pressure slowly over a 30 minute period. That helped alot too. I only had to wear mine for 6 hours a night, so I would go to bed around 8:30 or 9 and just watch tv for about 2 hours, then I only had to sleep with it for 4 hours. I usually woke up and took it off and my Dr. cleared me for the surgery. I'm getting it this coming Wednsday, Feb 25. Can't wait. Anyways, hope this helps.

I definitely agree that the mask can be key. When I got my cpap machine I had a nasal pillow. Unfortunately, I'm a mouth breather so I had to invest in a full face mask. Once I got that things were much better.

Hi, I also was required to get the CPAP machine before they would do my surgery. I'm not sure why, but I think it has something to do with the insurance company. I have to admit I was so against it a first, but since wearing it for 7 weeks now I have gotten use to it; I wake up with more energy and I don't need my afternoon naps anymore. Hooray, but I still hate the thing! Can't wait to lose the weight so I can get rid of it.

thanks for all of your input, folks!

The woman from the medical equipment place called me, and talked to me for a bit. She said that taking an over the counter sleep aid is pretty typical, and said if I continued to struggle to get a prescription sleep aid for a while. She said it could take a few weeks to adjust to.

My machine is adjustable, so it does ramp up as it detects my throat closing. I can breathe out of it fine, and it has the exhale holes so I don't feel like I'm breathing against a wind storm.

I am a stomach/side sleeper, and the mask stays on and I can breathe. It's just... awful. haha

And yes, I'm required to wear the CPAP until the surgery date, and bring it to surgery day as well. I've been losing a fair amount of pre-op weight, so I'm hoping I won't need it for very long!

I do appreciate the input, sorry for sounding like a whiney baby! hehe I am determined to make this work, because there is NO WAY I'm staying unbanded because of it.

I know a lot of people have problems at first, my daughter had one for her "disturbed" sleep due to snoring but didn't even have apnea so we ended up sending hers back after a fee of course. She just could not use it.

I had to get one before my surgery also and I had severe apnea so I adapted to it because it really did help with my sleep. I have one that just covers my nose. I also joined the WWW.CPAPTALK.COM forum when I got it and they were very helpful with questions I had. I got mine from a respiratory therapist after seeing the pulmonologist and they're seem like they're apt not to try too many masks because once they try them on you they can't sell them to other people. I guess I was lucky that the one I have worked out for me.

Good luck and check out that forum and see if they can help you a bit. But it sounds like you may not even need one. Good luck Nancy.

Edited by Nanook

Keep working at it! I have a comfort gel mask, since the respiratory therapist felt that one was the most comfortable one out there. It took me a while to get used to the CPAP, but once I did it made a major difference to my life. I had gone to my PCP repeatedly for daytime fatigue and sleepiness until he finally ordered the sleep study. They found I woke up 60+ times that night!!! no wonder I was exhausted mentally, emotionally and physically.

Now, I will not sleep without it since it is much better for my mental and physical health, although I do hope that once I am banded I can lose most if not all of this weight, and reverse the sleep apnea and diabetes as well.

When I first started using my CPAP I used a full mask but it didn t agree with me so I switched to nasal pillows and that works great for me but it is up to individual user themselves

Like others have said you may try different mask. My surgeon did not care if I was using the machine only that I'd beenn diagnosed. I had problems with CPAP during my sleep study and had to get a bipap machine it lessens the pressure on exhale.

I can't use mine it keeps me awake worrying if it's leaking and the noise keeps me awake. It sits under my nightstand in it''s carrier. NO one has asked to see the card since I stopped going to the sleep center.

Edited by JayTee562

My fear is NOT using the CPAP after I lose my weight and

the apena is resolved.

I have used this since 2000 and cannot sleep without it

on.

I have used several mask setups for over 8 years and found the ResMed Mirage Vista Standard Nasal Mask is the best fit for me. It has several adjustment settings and comes with a really neat fitting headgear.

Eartha

So I received my CPAP machine on Monday... I have now tried unsuccessfully for three days to wear this thing through the night. It's getting to the point where I'm actually getting anxious and all worked up before bedtime. I even tried wearing it while watching tv for a while to get used to it before trying to sleep... But every night, by about 12:30-1:30, I wake up and I feel like I can't breathe, and I freak out and take it off.

Help! I need to wear this thing, and it's got the little chip in it so they'll know if I wore it. I REALLY want this surgery, and I seriously could cry because I hate this thing so much. :thumbup:

Does anyone have ANY suggestions about making it easier? I'm losing sleep, and it's affecting my work. I have considered taking an over the counter sleep aid, just to get me used to using it.

The ironic thing is - I never really had any problems from the apnea... I am always refreshed when I wake up, I have plenty of energy, etc. I don't ever actually STOP breathing, I just breathe shallowly. I guess a co-morbidity is great, but still. :smile:

Help! (again)

Mandilou,

I totally know what you mean about the cpap machine,they are a b@#$@!!Why do you have to wear it before the surgery? If they know you have sleep apnea why is so crucial for you to wear it? I too had SEVERE sleep apnea.I had to have like 3 or 4 sleep studies.The first one I didn't even sleep at all that night because the machine was making me feel so anxious & like I couldn't breathe.

What kind of a mask did they give you? Because I was a "mouth-breather",most people that snore are.The first mask they put on me was a full mask that covered my nose & mouth,talk about freaking out! I actually had the sleep apnea surgery and still had to wear the cpap!! Talk about depressing!! But they finally gve me a nasal pillow mask that just kind of goes in your nose not over it or over your mouth,so much better!

And the really great thing is now that I'm 3 months out and down 50 lbs my husband says I'm not snoring or gasping or sputtering anymore!!:w00t:And I cant tell you how happy I was to dismantle that machine and throw it under the bed!! After struggling to sleep with it for 2 years!!:tt2:

So hang in there!! I know this soounds bad but does the thing actually have to be on your face to log in the hours? or could you let in run on the nightstand next to your bed??:wink2:Just a thought! I know it's kinda dishonest but desparate times call for desparate measures!!

Yes, My CPAP machine can tell the difference from the mask pressure on my face or on the night stand. It's a flex machine that lets up the pressure when you exhale. It's my 3rd machine that I have used.

I have not problems, cause I went from a job that required me to wear a mask all the time to despense injectable drug ingredients, I was a chemist before I got sick and on SSDI.

Eartha Sue

lacasst - haha! While I appreciate the suggestion - don't think it hadn't occured to me! :mad2: But Eartha's right.. it can register the pressure of air going in, so it "knows" if you're wearing it. Trust me, if that wasn't the case, I wouldn't even be trying so hard to use it.

Last night, I took 2 Advil PM's, thinking it'd help. Alas, I barely got any sleep, and woke at 1am (right on schedule) and pulled it off my face. :sneaky:

I appreciate everyone's suggestions with masks - I tried the nose pillow one, it was harder for me to exhale than my current mask.

Perhaps I can pull a Wile E. Coyote, and drop an anvil on my head?