Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

No you are not the last! I have also struggled pre band with my smoking having tried various methods to quit. Many people have anaesthetics that smoke all the time safely however if you can quit or at least significantly cut down prior would be beneficial. As for smoking and the band?, well obviously its not good for you under any circumstances but my surgeon has not said anything about it.

That is the thing...my patient coordinator said to cut down as much as I can, but then I read of others that say they could not have the surgery unless they quit. I have definately cut down to 5 or less a day, but will try my very best to have zero 3-4 days out and hope I never want to have one again after surgery;). Did you have any cigarettes for days previous?

I'm one of the ones that had to quit before surgery. The Dr. is going to check with a blood test. My surgery is scheduled for next month and I can't wait!

Although I no longer have any type of withdrawals, I must admit that I do still miss smoking. I DO NOT miss the effects of it, wheezing, coughing, smelly clothes, hiding all the time (closet smoker - everyone knew but I didn't like to do it in front of certain people). But I do admit that I catch myself thinking about smoking after surgery and that really scares me! I don't want to be a smoker again! I'm also going through a really difficult time right now, so that is probably part of the desire to pick up a cigarette. If it wasn't for the surgery coming up, I know I would have started again by now.

Sorry for the downer - I don't mean to discourage you or anyone else from quitting. It's been hard, but I'm also very proud that I've finally accomplished it.

Good luck to you!

My mother-in-law quit for surgery, then started again a year later. She had such bad ulcers the doc said if she didn't quit they might damage her stomach permanently to the point where it could be deadly. I don't know too much about it myself but that would be enough to scare the pants off of me.

Good for you for quitting and congrats on your upcoming surgery! Honestly, there are zero benefits of smoking, but yes...it is an addiction and hard to keep off the mind. I am fine during the dy at work...seems to creep up to me at night & on the weekends. So, anytime I want a cigarette at night or this weekend, I am going to make myslef to a physical excersise...skip rope...sit ups....then I will be out of breath & wont want one..and it will be a positive thing and not a negative!

One of the requirements from my surgery group was to quit smoking. They would test for nicotine and if present they would cancel the surgery.

I am happy to report that I have been smoke free for a year now. I had my lapband surgery in October 2008. I have not once looked back.

I don't miss the wheezing, out of breath feeling. I don't miss the stink that comes with being a smoker. I especially don't miss having to go outside in the winter to smoke! (can't smoke in public places in Iowa). I don't miss having to carry my inhaler around everywhere "just in case".

My mother died 3 years ago from complications of COPD. She litterally suffocated to death and I watched her slowly die that way. Horrible, horrible way to die. So this was my incentive to quit as well as getting the band.

My mom is routing for me in heaven I know she is, she always told me to quit so I wouldn't end up like her and I finally took her advice! THANKS MOM

How would they check for nicotine...I asked my Dr.'s nurse about a blood test and she said that she had never heard of one...I want to quit, well I have to, but I want to wait until the day before surgery.

Honestly, today is the day prior to my surgery (banded tomorrow) and I have been so nervous i have had a few already. I will let you know how I go!

Did you have your surgery??? How did it go?

My doctor flat out said "Smoke = No surgery!"

Needless to say I wanted shed of the blubber worse than I wanted to smoke. So after 34 years of smoking, the day that I heard that I layed them down. That was Jan. 5th this year. Just a few weeks ago.

But now I didn't exactly do it cold turkey either. Well I did for about the first 24 hours. I went to my family doctor and got a prescription for "Chantix"! OMG talk about the wonderdrug of the century! :):thumbup::thumbup::thumbup::thumbup:

I smoked 2 packs a day for years and years and years. For the last week I've only taken ONE of my Chantix tablets! No cravings.... GO FIGURE!

I may start back on the Chantix just before my surgery and for a short while after. Just to hedge my bets about making sure I stay smoke free.

I'd rather live smaller and smoke free than be a smoker and look like a beached whale! I'm so glad that I quit.

Well, my surgery is tomorrow & I have not had a cigarette in 4 days...tomorrow will be 5. It has been easier than I thought, but I think it is also the fear of going under the knife while smoking! Truth will be after surgery...just have to keep telling myself "dont even think you can have one".

If you want to lose weight, smoking is not the good one for you. Rather than smoking, you should try simple exercises. It would be good for you.

I have been smoke free for 1 week today. My PCP told me in Jan. when she made the referral that the surgeon would not do the surgery if I was still smoking. So I am using Chantix. It is still not easy even with the assistance of the drug. Some days I feel like I lost my best friend. Silly I know, but cigarettes have been a crutch for me since I was 24 yrs old. Giving up any 15 year "relationship" is bound to be a challenge. I meet w/ the surgeon and/or his staff on March 13th.