Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Some unanswered questions - pre-op

Guest TheEyewitness
Sign in to follow this  

Guest TheEyewitness

My wife has resolved to have LB surgery, and I have now begun to explore the surgery for myself. I have a couple of questions that I haven't found answers for on the 'net.

(1) Is there an increased risk for complications if a post-operative patient is struck in the abdomen (i.e., in a car accident, playing weekend sports, etc.)? If so, what are the potential complications, how serious are they, and how sensitive is the LAP-BAND to these kinds of shocks?

(2) I play golf. A round of golf can last for 4-5 hours … sometimes even more. I drink a lot of Water during this period. Would I be at an increased risk for dehydration or heat stroke due to the minimal size of the "pouch"? Would I be able to drink enough Water to keep my body hydrated and cool during prolonged physical exertion?

(3) My wife and I are discussing having the surgery at the same time. Do you recommend this, or would you recommend staggering the surgeries?

I sincerely appreciate anyone's help in answering my questions.

I don't have a verified answer to your first question, but I know there are lots of Bandsters with different professions, hobbies, etc. I would think that it would be pretty painful to take a shot in the port area, but I personally wouldn't let that sway me from getting the band. I was concerned about seatbelt placement, but the belt doesn't cover my port site from either side of the car.

Regarding Water intake, it will depend entirely on your level of restriction. Water might slow down a little, but should have no problem going through the band. I've had 2 fills, but I can still handle big gulps of water. If I'm wearing tight pants, it slows down a little and I can sometimes feel it slowing down in the morning.

I don't think it would be a problem for both of you to have surgery at the same time. Recovery is usually not a big deal and consists of some soreness and discomfort. I was able to care for myself just the same as always.

I asked my surgeon once about the Lapband and a car accident and his reply was "the Lapband would be the least of your concern."

Having actually fallen down some stairs and not had any problems with my band I can attest it can take a lot of abuse! I've also ridden EXTREME roller coasters for almost 2 days straight and it fared quite nicely.

As for Water, Water goes RIGHT THROUGH the pouch so there is no limitation to how much you can drink. I can guzzle as much water as I want.

And if I had a spouse going through a band with me I would say do it together. Recovery is fairly easy and that way you'll suffer through the same stages together and hopefully keep eachother on track.

I think it's WONDERFUL when couples do this jointly. Really special!

Originally posted by CoffeeWench

As for Water, Water goes RIGHT THROUGH the pouch so there is no limitation to how much you can drink. I can guzzle as much water as I want.

That's good to hear--I was really worried about how I was going to break my water chugging habit! If all I have to do is slow it down, I can handle that.

Guest TheEyewitness

Thanks so much for all the input so far! I spoke with AnnMarie from Dr. Sanchez's office, and she went through these questions with me. I am posting her replies so that everyone can hear what she had to say about my questions.

(1) Regarding durability ... the LB is situated high on the stomach, so it is nestled behind the liver, gall bladder, and ribcage. It is sturdy and safe -- should be able to handle any rough-play.

(2) Regarding Water consumption ... Water drinking is not a problem, just HOW you would drink the water. Instead of downing 8-12 oz. at a time, you would drink some, then drink some more, then drink some more. You can drink as much water as you feel comfortable drinking, you just won't be able to guzzle a large quantity all at once.

(3) Regarding having the surgery at the same time as my wife ... she recommended it. The recovery is not as hard as some other surgeries, and we can be each other's support group as we go through each stage.

I hope that everyone will continue to post their opinions and experience in these matters. I feel much better about our decision to go forward with the surgery!

Guest beauty1960

Good questions, I would love someone to go through it with me just so I could have the support. I also heard that you had to sip the Water and not drink too fast. Glad to hear that isn't always the case.