Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Dr. pushing for bariatric surgery

Hi all, Just found this site while looking for information on Lap Band. Anyone out there being pressured by your doctor for bariatric surgery? I weigh 321 lbs now. I gained alot when I left the Sheriffs office. My blood pressure is great, cholesterol is below 200 but the good one is low. I have a strong feeling that this surgery will cause me more harm than good. I am getting older so losing weight is getting tougher. Any advice from others facing or have faced this decision?

I don't think you will get people here to "push" you to the band. It's a personal decision that requires your committment to make it work.

But you are right, it gets harder as you get older, might as well attack the problem now.

First of all, you are 46? Do you really think your that old? I would say that is actually pretty close to average age for surgery, so I'm not sure what the age thing is about.

Are you happy at your current weight, are you able to live the life you want and for the amount of time you want? If the answer is yes, then who cares, don't have the surgery. If the answer is no, then get the surgery.

If you don't want it, then no, you should not get it. People who don't really want it are pretty much doomed to not havee success with any weight loss surgery anyway.

My aunt also had the surgery, and she's 52 yrs young. She also didn't have major health issues, but she did have joint pain and arthritis. And yes, as you get older it's harder to lose. She's 30lbs down and already says she feels so much better, whether it's playing with grandkids or just walking up and down her stairs.

It is a very personal decision for everyone, and if it's not for you, then it's not. No doc should pressure you. But don't think you're too old! If your weight doesn't bother you, then don't. But if you think being lighter would improve your life at all it might be something to think about. You do have another 30-40 yrs ahead you! ha

Good luck with whatever you decide!

I weigh 321 lbs now. I gained alot when I left the Sheriffs office. My blood pressure is great, cholesterol is below 200 but the good one is low. I have a strong feeling that this surgery will cause me more harm than good. I am getting older so losing weight is getting tougher. Any advice from others facing or have faced this decision?

Just wanted to point out that as you age, unless you get your weight under control (and you don't say how tall you are; that makes a difference...) odds are that great cholesterol etc will tank. It happened that way to me...each year the numbers got a little worse and the weight creeped up. I agree that until you've given diet and exercise a shot you shouldn't contemplate surgery (no one should take any surgery lightly) but I have news; losing weight (and keeping it off) is hard at ANY age. And from where you are, it isn't going to get any easier. You have the good luck of being able to face this problem now before those nasty "co morbidities" get you. Use the chance the best way you see fit.

Until age 45 I was one of what I call 'the fit fat'; healthy as a horse and very active. At around 45 the weight started creeping up from overweight to obese, the cholesterol and BP went up, it became harder to lose weight when I wanted to, exercise was harder, and I saw the writing on the wall.

You'll probably be 400lbs by age 50... with medical problems galore. Sounds like your doctor is concerned for your health- and I bet with good reason.

If you want to lose weight and get healthy look into WLS... if you don't, it'll be a waste of time and money.

Best wishes, whatever you decide.

My doctor gave me the pros and cons with all the WLS. I was good candidate for anyone of them, but I elected banding and my doctor supported my decision. I personally, never felt pressure to select one prcoedure over another.

Now, I must take exception of "46" being old! Give me a break. Did you not know being in your forties is now really your thirties?

This surgery as all surgeries have risks associated to them and could possibly cause harm. But I believe more people have benefited from banding than have been harmed by the procedure.

Do your research and look at data reports pertaining to harm/risks of WLS. JAMA somtimes has free journal studies pertaining to bariatric surgery.

JAMA -- Search Result

Thanks to all who replied to my question. I believe more investigation on my part is what I really need. I have spoken to people here (not this site but actual patients here where I live) that have had the surgery ( both bypass and lap band) and they don't recommend it. I wanted to get a broader viewpoint. I guess I am just the type of person that has to look at long term outcome first. I know everyone is different and results are not the same. I did the Atkins thing in 2002 and lost 75 lbs in 3 months. :thumbup:I kept it off for 3 years with exercise but now that I do NOT have a job that requires me to be that conditioned I let things slide. :bananalama: I suppose I really need to give Atkins another go lose the weight and exercise like I use to with the sheriffs office. OK, Thanks everyone I will keep you up to date if I choose the surgery.

Edited by sandufloor
clarifying what here meant and surgery types

It is an outpatient procedure for most to get banded. Some people don't even stay in the hospital one night. They don't rearrange your insides, only insert a medical device. The risk is very low compared to most other surgeries and you sound like you are in relatively good health other than obesity.

It doesn't sound like you are ready to be banded. If you had long term success after using Atkins by doing exercise, you may be able to repeat the same results if you are committed. Just know that this is an option for you if you ever decide to take this route.

Of course he may just want the nice kick back from the surgeon he is recommending.

Don't kid yourself, for most doctors, most patients are just a way to make a living. Just because they are doctors, doesn't make them saints.

this band is not easy -- do not let a doc push you into this- it is not a simple cure -- I was banded in dec and have lost almost nothing and am still hungry with 2 fills- I do eat a lot less food and that part is rewarding - I think I could have lost this much on my own - but I think the band will stop me from regaining any lost weight- give it a long, hard think before you decide on surgery

No one can force you into surgery. Your dr can recommend it, just as my Dr did, but in the end, the only person who makes that choice is you.

Also when I first came on this site, I found that the majority of people were incredibly happy with their band. If you're saying that you're finding that the people you're talking to are not recommending the band, I can't help feeling like you're looking for the negative in it, which tells me you really aren't ready for it.

Me? I love my band. I am 6 months post op and almost at goal. What's not to love?

One question what is everyone talking about FILL their last fill and such? Sound like your going to a gas station:eek:

If you think the price of gas is high, wait until you see the price of 1cc of saline. :biggrin:

"Fills" are when you go to the doc and have them put more saline in your band. Bands will hold up to 10cc or 14cc of Fluid. The more saline you have, the more restriction. When you have the surgery, the doc might put in a couple cc's of fluid, depending on the surgeon. So you have to go back every few weeks and get some added. I've had 6 fills, and have 7.3cc. It took me 5 fills to get good restriction. Most docs give you 6 months to a year of free fills.