Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

How long Have you had Your Band???

Guest dammfamily

Guest dammfamily

I am curious how long people have had their bands and what band do you have?? I was told be my cooridinator that most people have to get them removed within the first couple years that the way to go is the sleeve. She says it works like the band except no getting stuck and no vomiting, slimming, ect!!!! I wish I would have known this before I had mine done I would have thought twice before I jumped head first. I researched for a year before making the choice and I guess that just isn't enough. WOW!!

Rae

Simply put, what your coordinator said is not true....

Some people, YES...most, NO.

If you think about it, if it were true do you think that all these insurance companies would be paying for this expensive surgery if most people would need another expensive surgery in a year or so?

Edited by Jodi_620

I have a sleeve and think it's awesome, but I don't agree with your coordinator.

There have been some studies showing that *long-term* anywhere from 25-40% of bandsters end up with a complication that requires a second surgery by 10 years out, but that surgery is not always to remove the band. So even in the worst case scenario "most" don't get their bands removed and definitely not in the first couple of years.

OTOH, those stats were way to high for me, which is part of why I got a sleeve. But not nearly as bad as your coordinator made them out to be.

Also, the sleeve isn't "just like a band" at all. It is a restriction-only surgery, but it's very different from a band in how it works and what the first 6 months are like and in a number of other areas.

If you want to know more about the sleeve, come to the VSG section of the board and we'll talk your ear off. :thumbup:

Nothing is risk free. "Most" people dont end up having their bands out within the first few years at all, though there's not a lot of idea whether anyone will last 20, 30 years with one band. I was told to be aware that although the band is designed to last a lifetime, the likelihood of mechanical failure at some point should be considered.

I dont see one as better than the other. I got a band, and I may have to have revision surgery (and is likely to be something I could recover from, and even get rebanded), had I had a sleeve half my stomach would be gone. The *likelihood* of something going wrong may be much less with a sleeve but it could be pretty bloody awful if it did. Imagine splitting a suture line early on or leakage or something like that.

both surgeries have some risks that have to be weighed up against the improvement to your health that they offer.

If I lived in the US and had to deal with your medical system, the sleeve would have one major thing in its favour - the reduced need for follow up care. Bands can be tricky, here in Australia its no big deal. Fills cost nothing, doctors are nearby, in every suburb, every city. You can be operated on by one doctor, move interestate and simply get referred onto another without a doctor arguing about taking patients that he didnt operate on, or charging you feels to enter his program, we dont rely on our insurance companies to allow us to have fills or unfills, none of that stuff. So having a band is pretty easy in Australia.

All those things are factors to consider, and the way they fall for you is what makes either surgery the right choice.

Guest dammfamily

This is for everybody!! Being new to banding I come here for support and in doing that I have found I am so upset with the way alot of people have negative things to say if it not putting the doctor down that someone had surgery by if the price was to cheap you must have been lied to and got cheap service and lie to on what band was placed inside of you. Now I am so worried everyday about what is going to happen to me and will i survive through it. It makes me so mad and does anyone even care what effect they have on someone their emotional state of mind?? How cold and uncaring people can be. I thought the whole idea of the support communities was to be here to help each other through our journey. I guess for some us that is true and for those who have alterior motives are maybe you are just bitter for one reason or another. I am not posting this to offend anyone I would just like people to think before you really hurt other people.

What were you looking for in responses?

I have re-read everyones response and I don't see anyone saying negative things, nobody said you got a cheap doctor, I didn't say you have been lied to but your coordinator did give you misinformation...until I see something to prove otherwise I will stick with that opinon. We all stated what we know about the longevity of the band, what would you rather we did?

Have your coordinator give you documentation to back up what she said so that you can see it for yourself and perhaps post it here so that we all can be informed.

I would think you might be relieved to hear that perhaps the bad news you got from your coordinator is wrong...go figure.

Support doesn't mean lying to people so they feel good.

I am curious how long people have had their bands and what band do you have?? I was told be my cooridinator that most people have to get them removed within the first couple years that the way to go is the sleeve. She says it works like the band except no getting stuck and no vomiting, slimming, ect!!!! I wish I would have known this before I had mine done I would have thought twice before I jumped head first. I researched for a year before making the choice and I guess that just isn't enough. WOW!!

Rae

WOW!! Is right. I am going to presume the coordinator is not a doctor and thus cannot really articulate the pros and cons of the band in relation to other WLS as a surgeon could. I would ask my surgeon for their perspective.

Yes, there are pros and cons associated to the various WLS. There are risks with each type of WLS as well. All you can do is equip yourself with as much knowledge as you can to make an informed decision.

I can share with you my personal story that I have not slimed, vomitted, pbing, or been stuck. I am 2.5 months post op and have the New Generatio AP Band, which is 10cc and now how 5.5cc in it.

Good luck with your decision.

i probably would have gone with the sleeve if i were a well informed pre-op WLS patient. but i wasn't - got the band, and that's what i have....

my insurance at the time wouldn't pay for it - went self pay; current insurance will handle any issue, fills, etc - all minus my copay.

it took a good 6 months for me to get restriction - have had a port site infection & surgery to repair a hernia. all negatives in my book - but i had nothing that worked in the 5yrs leading up to surgery that gave me half the chance the band did.

is it more work than other surgeries - yes i think due to working towards restriction. do i have to be diligent on my aftercare - absolutely.... are complications something that can happen - definitely.

i hope this band lasts a lifetime - i lost the weight i wanted to; am a MUCH healthier almost "40" yr old than i was "30" yr old .... but i learned recently not to ignore a single hiccup in the process. i had other ideas for the money i paid for the band, i plan on taking care of it as best as a can; and annoy my dr with every question...i actually think he likes my questions:)

i am an rn and listen to patients carefully over the years. 100% of all people that have had wls i have dealt w/are happy they did it. but i am having banding because i am starting to see the people w/bipass and sleaves gain the weigt back and it scares me. i know w/the band nothing is being permanently cut. i also have issues w/food and the band is going to be my "tool" to help. ideally i wish that i could just get my wt under control and not have to have any surgery, but i just can't (been trying for 30 years)two weeks till banding and im not looking back.

i i had other ideas for the money i paid for the band, i plan on taking care of it as best as a can; and annoy my dr with every question...i actually think he likes my questions:)

Here, Here! I agree with Lulu. That is what the doctor is there for. :rolleyes: