Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Poll: How many have acid reflux problems?

How many of you experience acid reflux after surgery?  

4 members have voted

1. 1. How many of you experience acid reflux after surgery?

• Yes, I am still having problems
    • Yes, but it went away with time
    • No

I just HATE the feeling of being full know. I eat until I'm comfortable. Agter a few minutes I feel full. I never like sweets so that has never been a problem. My problem in the past is that when I ate, it was a very social thing. My weight loss has slowed but not stopped. Next month I am going to my Dr. to see about a fill.

I just HATE the feeling of being full know. I eat until I'm comfortable. Agter a few minutes I feel full. I never like sweets so that has never been a problem. My problem in the past is that when I ate, it was a very social thing. My weight loss has slowed but not stopped. Next month I am going to my Dr. to see about a fill.

Before my band I used to eat until I could eat no more....and I would feel miserable...NOW if I eat too much I get sick....Thankfully it only took 1 time to get sick for me to realize when to stop eating...I love my band because of that I no longer feel miserable after eating!!! When everybody else is ready to keel over at Christmas I was ready to take all the kids outside and play it was an AWESOME feeling!

Strange as it is, I haven't had ANY reflux or heartburn problems since being banded. I used to chew through a bottle of Tums very quickly. I asked my surgeon about it, and was told that it is not uncommon to stop having heartburn or reflux after banding. I am going to guess maybe the change in diet(not so many fatty or greasy foods), increased movement, and the smaller portion may be the key. :thumbup:

i just discovered I was taking acid reflux med for nothing. I had thyroid nodules that were hurting me to swallow. Geshhh. once they were removed, I am feeling much better but still feels like there is an abstraction, I see my surgeon in a week and I will discuss it with him. It just coincided with my lapband so I thought it was related.

I havent had a fill since the beginning of Sept, i was quite tight but i didnt feel too tight, a few weeks after the fill i started having some slight reflux especially after eating fruit or drinking wine it then got worse and worse over the last 4 months. Two days ago my band tightened so much that i could not swallow and had to have an emergency unfil of 1ml. I guess this shows that you should not keep a really tight band...eventually you will have a problem. 1ml was quite alot to have out but i feel absolutley fine now and i am finding already that i am making better food choices because i can eat meat which i havent been able to manage rather than low Protein slider foods all the time. I am not going to get another fill until i have given my throat time to rest. I actually think that i will be able to maintain because i will be getting more Vitamins, be able to drink more Fluid and have more energy for the gym!

well you are lucky. i have not lost any weight since my band a year ago.

I never had it before, but since being banded I have. It only happens if I eat or drink something before laying down. When I dont I have no problems.

I had it so bad, I would wake up with it and it would stay with me until I went to bed. I was almost in tears. I would choke all the time with it. I had to take a 2 week dose of antacid. I still get it from time to time and I've only had one fill. I hate to see when I have more fills.

I've been having it really badly the past 6 weeks or so. I don't feel like this is fill related as I haven't had a fill since October. I'm relating it to stress right now (my fiance moved 5,000 miles away for 6 months - he left 6 weeks ago). I'm thinking his departure stimmed the reflux and since then it hasn't gone anywhere. Last night was TERRIBLE. Like the previous post, I woke up with it and it kept me awake at least 45 minutes. I've been taking zantac at least once daily and I try to remember to take it twice a day (once in the a.m. and once more after work). I also have days where I need to pop Tums throughout the day. I HATE IT. I was diagnosed with "gastritis" a month before my surgery, surgeon said it was okay to operate... after the surgery I had absolutely no problems with acid reflux, gastritis, ulcer, etc. It was like the surgery fixed it and now it's creeping back into my life. I guess I need to keep a close watch on my diet to figure out what foods are making it worse...??

I had my surgery in September of 2008. I just recently over the past 3 months have experienced really bad acid reflux. It is worse at night. I constantly feel Fluid in my throat.

Is anyone else experiencing this and has your doctors told you why. Mine hasn't helped. Will it go away?

I had my surgery in September of 2008. I just recently over the past 3 months have experienced really bad acid reflux. It is worse at night. I constantly feel Fluid in my throat.

Is anyone else experiencing this and has your doctors told you why. Mine hasn't helped. Will it go away?

sounds likes you're too tight...have you had a fill or anything???

I am SO glad I checked here about reflux. I was banded in December (so that's about 6 months ago) and am thrilled with my weight loss. But in the past month I wake up choking in the night with puke in my throat. It's awful. I am discovering that spicy foods, fruit and anything eaten too quickly make it worse. After the second week I asked the doctor to take my latest fill OUT, thinking it must be from the band being too tight. Well now I am hungry again (which is awful!) AND I'm still experiencing reflux. So I'm going to see him again to put the fill back in and hope the reflux disappears. I have never had reflux as a fat person. What a drag!!

My Doc told me I had the worst case of acid reflux he had seen in his 30 yrs of practice, it felt like a 100 spiders trying to crawl up my throat. I would open my mouth and I could hear bubbles popping. I gagged/coughed so badly I saw white stars.Nothing helped, and I mean nothin!!

I am not going to mention the brand name of the product I used in my first post, (don't want to get in trouble) but WOW..what a diff! It was "digestive enzymes" I ran out of the brand I was using, and pu a dif brand, didn't work. It will run you approximately 19.00, but I know it saved my life...I have no vested interest in this product. If I am allowed to share the brand name, then feel free to pm me.

I just went in to the Gastric center of the hospital my surgeon works at. They ex-rayed my band and found out that my lower stomache was actually going up through my band because of the inflamation from my acid reflux. They completely emptied my band and want me to come back in 6 weeks to get it re-filled. Man! It was like night and day! I haven't been able to keep food or beverages down very well the last couple of days and if I would've waited longer...it would not have been good! Don't let your reflux go to long!!!! Talk to your bariatric docs about it if it goes for very long at all!:smile: