Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Poll: How many have acid reflux problems?

How many of you experience acid reflux after surgery?  

4 members have voted

1. 1. How many of you experience acid reflux after surgery?

• Yes, I am still having problems
    • Yes, but it went away with time
    • No

I jjust wanted to put out ther that Prevacid makes a soluable tablet that disolves on your tongue for acid reflux. It's prescription only. Maybe that could help someone

never had it in my life until after surgery, it gradually went away but now after my second fill it's been bothering me off and on... i'm hoping it will gradually get better again

Bandana, My Gastro Dr. Switched me to the desolve tabs after the banding so I wouldn't have to take another pill. All the pills in that class work the same.

Angie, I had VERY mild reflux before the banding. Maybe 3 or 4 episodes a year. After banding I have been hoarse and my voice gets worse the more I speek. When I tell my Dr., his answere to me is "reflux is supposed to get better". I am so sick of these XXXXXXX Dr.s. On the Realize Band site it states clearly that reflux is a possible side effect from banding. I had my band done 10-10-08 and to date have lost 72 lbs. without ANY fills. I haven't allowed him to fill because is you read all 11 pages of this thread you will see that too much fill, too fast makes reflux worse. People call it their Sweet Spot and it takes some time to find it. Good luck.

Had it before surgery, haven't had it since surgery, THANK GOD!!!

never had it in my life until after surgery, it gradually went away but now after my second fill it's been bothering me off and on... i'm hoping it will gradually get better again

If you start having reflex, that means you’re over eating or the band is to tight, let your doctor no so he can help. I no from the past exp. I went threw.

I had it bad before surgery and still have it -- my stress level is very high though and I believe it's the stress not so much the band. Stress makes my band and port hurt really bad and my back too.

I had it bad before surgery and still have it -- my stress level is very high though and I believe it's the stress not so much the band. Stress makes my band and port hurt really bad and my back too.

I think the stress point is a good one. I used to have such bad acid reflux before surgery that I would end up throwing up. Ugh. It was awful. Since surgery I hadn't had an acid reflux episode once. Now, for the past month I've been getting some reflux. No where near what I used to get, but it feels like it's getting worse and worse. It woke me up last night and I had to go take a Zantac (OTC).

I'm thinking it's because I'm stressed. I've noticed that tea and coffee don't help either. I've gotta stop this stress. Thanks for the note about stress - it's what I needed to hear today.

Go onto Barnes&Noble.com and click on tapes & cd's and type in "ralaxation" I used to get bouts of anxiety from too much stress. Go into a quiet place, even your car, put on a set of head phones and listen.. I find that head phones work much better that a stereo or boom box.

Wallygirl, I appreciate the input but I really don't over eat, I've lost 79.2 in 14 weeks and have not had a fill yet. My relux is wierd. I NEVER get heartburn. It seems to stay in my throat and I start to loose my voice. I have the Realize Band and on their web site they say that reflux may be a side effect. I truely am very carefull what and when I eat. Before the surgery I loved very hot spicey foods. For Breakfast scambled eggs cover in tabasco was a daily event. Red pepper and extra garlic on pizza. I miss the heat........maybe one day. I've been told by every Dr. I have gone too since the banding and they all say all is well but it may take up to a year for my digestive system to adjust. BEST OF LUCK TO ALL OF US.

Edited by JesseH

Go onto Barnes&Noble.com and click on tapes & cd's and type in "ralaxation" I used to get bouts of anxiety from too much stress. Go into a quiet place, even your car, put on a set of head phones and listen.. I find that head phones work much better that a stereo or boom box.

Wallygirl, I appreciate the input but I really don't over eat, I've lost 79.2 in 14 weeks and have not had a fill yet. My relux is wierd. I NEVER get heartburn. It seems to stay in my throat and I start to loose my voice. I have the Realize Band and on their web site they say that reflux may be a side effect. I truely am very carefull what and when I eat. Before the surgery I loved very hot spicey foods. For Breakfast scambled eggs cover in tabasco was a daily event. Red pepper and extra garlic on pizza. I miss the heat........maybe one day. I've been told by every Dr. I have gone too since the banding and they all say all is well but it may take up to a year for my digestive system to adjust. BEST OF LUCK TO ALL OF US.

Your doing GREAT with your weight loss, hope you get the reflux under control. Maybe you should have an upper GI done, it’s easy and they can see when you’re swallowing what’s going on in your stomach? Good Luck the best to you! :cursing:

Wally,

You are absolutely right. I had my 15 week check up this morning with my surgeon (my surgeon is 78 miles away, what a pain). I went to my Gastro Dr. (he's a friend) and he ordered an upper gi. I had a copy of the films and report sent to my surgeon. Other than the fact he said it was the WORST upper gi he has ever seen (film quality and what they took pics of) but everything seemed good. The Radiologist report said that at this time my reflux was "minor". Its been 4 months since my banding and I guess everything is going the way it should. Thanks for the help.:cursing:

Wally,

You are absolutely right. I had my 15 week check up this morning with my surgeon (my surgeon is 78 miles away, what a pain). I went to my Gastro Dr. (he's a friend) and he ordered an upper gi. I had a copy of the films and report sent to my surgeon. Other than the fact he said it was the WORST upper gi he has ever seen (film quality and what they took pics of) but everything seemed good. The Radiologist report said that at this time my reflux was "minor". Its been 4 months since my banding and I guess everything is going the way it should. Thanks for the help.:tt1:

Glad to see you had nothing wrong; keep up the good work on losing weight. Let me how you're doing in future. :cursing:

On the stress issue, do any of you have port pain when you are stress or if the reflux is bad? Mine hurts so bad I'd like to rip it off my side!

I rarely get any acid reflux. I've been banded for over 3 months now and I've maybe had to take an antacid 6 times. It's so nice. I used to get it every night.

I was very reluctant to have anything taken out of the band but after several weeks of the worst acid reflux, restriction and very little sleep, I finally went to see my doctor. He took out 1 CC of the 7.5 CCs in my band and IMMEDIATELY I felt relief, no more acid reflux symptoms. I don't know why I fought it so long. I guess I thought the band would just become less restrictive over the following weeks from the last fill - what a nightmare. I will NEVER do that again!!!! I would encourage anyone that is reluctant like I was to change your mind and find some RELIEF!!!!! Thank GOD!!!!!:unsure: