Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

sleep apnea and this surgery

well was diagnosed with sleep apnea on the 19th of this month and i have to go back in for a sleep study with a cpap machine. I was wondering what kind of issues will I face with surgery and having sleep apnea. I have stopped breathing while waking up from anesthesia after my past surgeries and have voiced my concerns with a doctor that i don't see anymore about it and was told it was normal to stop breathing after surgery.

I was wondering what precautions they will take now that I finally have my unwanted answer :/

wow, that's a great question that i never asked my doctor about. but i figure, you can't even use a straw immediately after surgery, so i'd assume the same with the cpap. i'd assume after the stitches heal, you can use your cpap. if no one answers, i'll ask my doctor this weekend when i see him (if i remember).

Actually, I was told to bring my machine with me the day of surgery, just in case I needed it during recovery.

My doc said to use it the first night, and I have used it from day one. No problem.

Ditto with Steve - I've been using my CPap for about five years now and its my primary reason for wanting to lose this weight!!! Anyways, most hospitals require that you bring it just in case. But since I didn't need to spend the night they didn't use it then or in recovery. Hope this info helps!! Best of luck to you!!!

You will still have sleep apnea after surgery. It takes losing the weight to resolve you apnea.

And, yes. you will need your CPAP until the weight is off and you decide to have another sleep study done to make sure it's resolved for you.

I haven't got my machine yet. gotta go in and get retested with a cpap on. Gah :/

Also wondering if anyone has had problems with the tape they put on your skin? I had tape on my throat to the side Sunday night and my skin is still red and now it's peeling. It's not horrible, but it's not exactly great looking. Wondering why that could of happened. I have no allergies that I know of and had plenty of surgeries so I would know by now if I was allergic to tape.

I was diagnosed with sleep apnea in December as part of my pre-op testing...surgery was 1/20 (Tues). I had to bring the cpap with me, and stay in the ICU because it was the only place they have monitored beds. I took the CPAP off about 4 am because the gas was really bad, and the CPAP seemed to just push it down and keep it in - I was not able to burp, and once I took it off, and walked around the ICU I started to burp again and felt much better. So, I slept propped up in the chair the rest of the night.

I haven't got my machine yet. gotta go in and get retested with a cpap on. Gah :/

Also wondering if anyone has had problems with the tape they put on your skin? I had tape on my throat to the side Sunday night and my skin is still red and now it's peeling. It's not horrible, but it's not exactly great looking. Wondering why that could of happened. I have no allergies that I know of and had plenty of surgeries so I would know by now if I was allergic to tape.

This happened with me with the tape ,my hands ,and neck were red and started to peel on the third day after the sleep test ,you might want to mention it when you go for the cpap test . I had to take my machine with me to the hospital ,but did not need it . I was told to use it that evening of the surgery ,and had no problems .I have been on my cpap for 2 weeks and I feel great after a good nights sleep ,it is so refreshing waking up and having energy . Best of luck ,and hope you have much success

went to my pcp for a 3 month check up and mentioned the sleep apnea to my doctor and she asked why i was tested and i told her it was for the lap band surgery -which she referred me for- and she's like wow people will do anything to get that surgery. Even fake sleep apnea. I was appalled. I can't believe she'd even say that. I asked her "how can you fake sleep apnea when you're asleep?" she's like "it would be really hard to do" She was laughing the whole time and I just didn't know what to do. Other than tell her I didn't fake it and i didn't want it. She also mentioned that it would help my case with the insurance to have it. And i told her that my bmi is over 40 and it's not a requirement. She dropped it. And what's bugging me now is that I have a fever and just so weak and I was fine when I was there. Nothing like getting sick after you go home :/ So taking tylenol and gonna see how I feel in the morning.

went to my pcp for a 3 month check up and mentioned the sleep apnea to my doctor and she asked why i was tested and i told her it was for the lap band surgery -which she referred me for- and she's like wow people will do anything to get that surgery. Even fake sleep apnea. I was appalled. I can't believe she'd even say that. I asked her "how can you fake sleep apnea when you're asleep?" she's like "it would be really hard to do" She was laughing the whole time and I just didn't know what to do. Other than tell her I didn't fake it and i didn't want it. She also mentioned that it would help my case with the insurance to have it. And i told her that my bmi is over 40 and it's not a requirement. She dropped it. And what's bugging me now is that I have a fever and just so weak and I was fine when I was there. Nothing like getting sick after you go home :/ So taking tylenol and gonna see how I feel in the morning.

Wow ,sounds like your pcp is a real nut job . Sleep Apnea is nothing to laugh about ,very serious medical condition . I would think that she all of people would know that ,but then again there are a lot of quack doctors who have no clue about anything . Sounds like she has lack of oxygen to her brain,to sit and laugh at a patient is beyond not having bedside manner ,more like class-less.The next time you go for a visit you might want to rethink who is in charge of your health care. I have never heard of anyone faking a sleep test . I for one would bring her sleep apnea bookets and leave them on her desk( better yet hand them to her) as to clue her in on something she soo apparently has no wisdom in .

I'm sorry that you have to deal with such a moron ,not all doctors conduct themselves in this manner. You are attempting to get healthy and that's all that really matters,continue doing for you . I wish you all the best ,and hope you have great success with your up and coming surgery .