Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

uncertain if it's the right way to go.

Ok I am a 55 year old male. I have type II diabetes, High blood pressure a bad back and have had two knee surgeries. I also take cholesterol medication.

It seems I take a ton of prscriptions, seven pills a day just for the diabetes alone, but no insulin yet. They tell me it's just a matter of time. Currently all the meds keep most of my medical issues under control.

Cholesterol, blood pressure and sugar are all where they pretty much should be. Well the sugar could be a little lower. But it's not bad.

The doctors tell me that that won't last and the meds will only control it so long. They think the band is a great idea.

I go under the knife tuesday.

I have lost weight in the past and got sugar and blood pressure under control. But I always put it back on. I am 5'9'' and weigh 257 but was 287 when I started the program at Buffalo General (Dr. Posner). In 1986 I quit smoking and weighed 168. In five years I was up over two hundred and kept gradually going up. When ever I got down under two hundred I would gain even more.

So am I doing the right thing?

How physically uncomfortable will I be walking around with this thing inside me. What physical limitations will I have? How about the pain and digestive issues? Other than walking I pretty much hate to exercise. But when I am down around one nintey, which I have been a few times, I didn't mind light workouts with free weights. Buffalo is not walker freindly from december to march. So I am thinking of joining a local gym to use the treadmills and weight machines in the cold weather.

They tell me I will feel more energetic and will be more inclined to exercise because of the weight loss. I have three friends who, for health reasons, had gastric bypasses. They all look and feel great. One was taking seven shots of insulin each day and is not taking any now.

I am not doing this for looks, although that is a nice side benefit. I have four grandchildren and I want to be around for them. My grandfather died before I was born from diabetes. I don't want to do the same, I enjoy these kids and want to be there for them. They are all under four years old.

I am not afraid of the surgery. I have had two knee operations, two catarct operations and an umbilical hernia surgery. I have also had four bouts with kidney stones.

I am more concerned with foever feeling uncomfortable with that band inside me as well as the port. I don't know any one who has had the band.

How bad is it? How sick do you get after the operation? I have read a lot of positive stuff here but the negative stuff is pretty nasty, although there hasn't been much negative stuff.

I am afraid to get it and afraid not to. I obviously can't control my weight on my own. I am not a compulsive eater. I would attriute my weight problem to a slow metabolism brought on by dieabetes and the medications i take for it. They tell me that will go away if I get this done.

I want to lose about nitey pounds.

Am I making a mistake with the band surgery?

Hi there, I went through the same thing the week before my surgery. I think electing to do a surgery is somehow scarier than having one that you are told to do. Only you know what the right decision is for you, but I will say that I too am diabetic and have high BP. I'm already off of my BP meds and my blood sugar is a ton better and that is only 3 months out of surgery. I think that you are going to feel a lot better.

In terms of the post-op, I was in a good deal of pain the first 4 days, mostly when I was getting up and down. Then, I turned a corner and felt a ton better. You don't really notice the port at all unless you feel around for it. As for the actual band, you aren't aware of it until you get full or get stuck.

Each person's experience with the band is different, so it is hard to prepare for everything, but I wish you the best and think that you have made a great decision!

Thats what I wanted to hear. My wife thinks I am crazy to go for elective surgery. But she will support me in whatever i do. she hasn't really tried to talk me out of it, but she dosen't trust doctors. Strange because she had two uncles that were doctors. Although we have been married for thirty five years and still very much in Love she tends to stand back when it comes to my health issues.

I understand if I eat right and follow my doctors directions I shouldn't feel that much digestive distress. That seems to be what I am seeing here.

One other question. I am flying down to florida on march forth. six weeks after my surgery. I talked to the Physicians assistant and she hesitated and said we'll discuss it after surgery. But a few months ago I asked the doctor and he said I could fly after a few weeks.

Anybody have any input on that?

My Mom was really worried about all of the risks of the surgery and everything, but I told her I would rather risk it than losing 10 years of my life because I'm hypertensive and diabetic.

My doctor didn't give me any restrictions about flying. You will definitely be feeling fine by then, but you might want to check if your doc has restrictions.

Hi, I am a 49 year old male that got the lapband on the 17th of December. Our stats arent too far apart weght wise. I started at 284 pre op and am now at 254 around 5 weeks out. I am also diabetic and have high blood pressure. I was on 2000 mg a day metformin and took 2 glipizides a day also before my surgery. Around 1 week prior to my surgery my sugar levels were in the 80's so my doc had me stop taking the glipizides. Since surgery I have only taken about half a dozen metformins. My blood sugars were and still are in the 90's in the afternoon. I have noticed since being on solid foods that they seem to be edging up some in the mornings. I dont eat anything with extra sugar in it and havent had a slice of bread since starting the pre op diet on December 1st. I believe there have been many others that have been able to stop the meds after being banded also. Maybe not as soon as myself. I read of one study where something like 80 percent of the people that got banded were completely off meds by there one year anniversary of being banded.

As far as the blood pressure goes I was only taking about 1/3 of what I was pre op until here recently when again I have noticed since being on solid foods my pressure is creeping up so now am taking half the benicar I used to.

I can notice my port and it is still tender once in awhile but it doesnt really bother me. I had no REAL pain after the surgery and only some minor gas issues. I can do anything I could before surgery but notice after doing a lot of bending that my port area is a little tender. I work heavy construction so there is quite a bit of bending. I was lucky enough to get 3 weeks off after my surgery for healing. scale has stalled as of late but I am not worried about it. I feel good to be down 30lbs and feel pretty good over all.

As far as flying goes I dont think there will be any bother at all with that.

Congrats on your decision and good luck with your upcoming surgery. It's a piece of cake.

Thanks again. This whole website is great I wish I would have found it months ago. The program here in Buffalo at Buffalo General is pretty good. Remarkable record in both By pass and banding. They make you jump through a lot of hoops. It was about five months before he would do the surgery. They don't try to push you either way as to banding or bypass, it's your decision. You have to go on the South beach diet and lose continuosly. Once they schedule you the also scedule a final weigh in. If you gain a pound between the scheduling and the weigh in they cancel your surgery.

I feel pretty good about my medical team.

Also I see you are from Maryland. I am watching the game as I write this. Good luck to your Ravens.

I will be off two weeksbut could take more if I need to. I work for the city in the streets department. No bending or heavy lifting in my job. I used to operate heavy equipment. Now I actually supervise the crews on the street. Snow plowing this time of year. I basiclly drive around in a pick up or doing paper work.

So I probably won't need to be off long from what I am reading here.

I take four metfornin, one actos, and one Amaryl daily. In addition one lotrl and one atynenol for blood pressure, and niaspan and vytorin for cholesterol. I also take hctz for Kidney stone prevention.

Hopefully this band will end most of that.