Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

How much weight did you lose on the pre-op diet

I am on my 13th day. i've lost 13 lbs on pre-ops. Basically a pound a day.

Can you let me know what your preop diet consists of ...I need help in a major way.

I am on day 4 of my pre-op diet and I've lost about 6 lbs. I've lost 11 lbs total since my surgical consult on 1/7, which feels pretty good.

My pre-op diet consists of:

Breakfast: Slim-fast Optima (I know its full of carbs but the Cappuccino blast is really good)

Lunch: 1 cup veggies Soup (homemade with low sodium chicken broth, carrots, broccoli, zucchini, and mushrooms), slim fast low-carb, sugar free jell-o cup

Dinner: 1 cup vegetables (either broccoli or salad), 1 tbsp lowfat dressing, slim fast low-carb

Dessert: sugar free ice pop

I drink a ton of Water each day which definitely helps, and when I get sick of Water I switch to crystal light.

No caffeine, no diet soda, no added dairy besides the premade shakes. These aren't my surgeons guidelines, they're mine. I also take a Multivitamin everyday as well as an added Iron supplement since I am anemic. It seems a little boring but if its what I have to do, then I'm sticking to it!

wow, i'm so envious of all of you. I've been on my pre-op for a couple weeks and i've only lost 6lbs. I've got PCOS and a thyroid problem, so no doubt that's playing a role. still got a month to go, so hopefully i'll lose what i need to.

I am with you I lose some and then today I got on the scales and gained two pounds.::thumbup: I am not sure what I am doing wrong here. Any advice? I also have a thyroid problem.

I started my preop diet on 1/7 and I had my surgery on 1/16. I was allowed to have only 1000 calories a day. I didn't have to be on liquids or Protein Drinks. I did really well and never really made it over 900 calories. I lost 12 pounds before surgery and it worked great.

OP here...I'm on Day 10 and have lost 11 lbs so far. I'm down 27 lbs since I started my pre-approval diet. My pre-op diet consists of 2 Atkins shakes, 4 oz Protein, 1/2 non starchy veggie and 2 servings each of sugar free Jello, sugar free popsicle and broth. I don't eat all of the Jello or broth each day, nor is a popsicle appetizing when it's below 32 degrees outside (I haven't had any yet). I'm also drinking lots of Water and doing 20-30 min of cardio a day.

Thanks for all the replies! Good luck if you are still on your pre-op diet!

Here is the pre-op diet I am required to follow for two weeks before surgery:

With prepared meal:

three milk-based high Protein, low sugar beverages

4 oz lean meat

12 cup or 1 oz starch

1 cup cooked vegetable AND unlimited raw

1 medium piece of fruit

4 oz low fat milk

1 tsp regular or 1 Tbs light fat (butter, oil, mayo)

If I choose to use frozen meals instead of prepared (home made) the diet looks like this:

frozen meal (Lean Cuisine, Healthy Choice, Smart Ones)

2 oz lean meat

1 cup cooked and unlimited raw

1 medium piece of fruit

4 oz low fat milk

1 tsp regular or 1 Tbs light fat (butter, marg, mayo)

Both plans include a daily Multivitamin, and of course drinking tons (64 oz per day) of non-carbonated liquid. I am still drinking coffee, which is a great way to use my 4 oz of low fat milk! I haven't been a soda drinker for years, so that isn't something I'm missing. The hardest part of this diet is, of course, being hungry almost all the time!

But, at my pre-op test appointment today I was down 6 pounds from last Friday. I have been good about using my treadmill since starting this diet, and that is certainly helping too. I keep telling myself that these two weeks are a great way to transition to a more deliberate way of eating, and the real bonus will be that with the band in place I won't be so hungry!

I started Saturday June 11, 2011. So it has been 6 days (not including today) and I'm 13 lbs down. I have another week and today to go, so hopefully I get down to -25 or so. That's what I'm hoping for.

Diet: 1 Protein shake in the morning (powder, 8 oz non fat milk & 2 oz water), and then I eat 4 oz of baked chicken, 1 cup of carrots & a handful of salad with vinegar on it. Sometimes I drink another Protein Shake for dinner if I'm hungry. But lately, no dinner.< /p>

Surgery date: June 24, 2011

I lost 25 pounds on my pre-op diet, but it was also for a whole month, which would make mine about average. if the diet were only 2 weeks, I would have lost between 12-13 pounds.

I know everyone loses weight differently but I'm a little discouraged because I lost two lbs the first 2 days I was on the pre-op diet and now its day 5 and I haven't lost anything else. It makes me worry that it's going to be really hard for me to lose weight even with the band...anyone else not lose a lot of weight on the pre-op but have success with the band?

I know what you mean. I've been on my pre op diet for three weeks and the scales show a loss of between 4 and 8 pounds, depending on the day. It's very discouraging hearing other people's weight loss. My biggest fear is that I still won't lose after being banded on the 27th. I know the mega doses of insulin I'm taking don't help matters any, so maybe when that's reduced I'll get better results.

That's exactly what my fear is!! I don't take insulin, I walk in the mornings....it's frustrating and scary that I might go through all this and not have it work >.<

I know what you mean. I've been on my pre op diet for three weeks and the scales show a loss of between 4 and 8 pounds, depending on the day. It's very discouraging hearing other people's weight loss. My biggest fear is that I still won't lose after being banded on the 27th. I know the mega doses of insulin I'm taking don't help matters any, so maybe when that's reduced I'll get better results.

I am on day 6 of my pre-op and have lost 5 lbs so far. It is getting easier as the days go by. My pre-op consists of 2 Protein Shakes a day and one 300 cal low fat meal. I can eat a prepared frozen meal from lean cuisine, smart ones, or healthy choice and add a big salad with fat free dressing. I can also snack on veggies if I get hungry. Lots of Water or crystal light and 30 mins of exercise 5 days a week. So far so good!

I lost 6 lbs on my preop diet.

Just completing day #4 of strict boring Optifast diet - about 4-6 lbs so far.