Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Anyone know anything about The Dominican Republic?

Hi! I am new to this forum. I live in a north east suburb of Atlanta, GA. I am ready to be banded!!!

I am considering using Dr. Edgar Leino from the Global Medical Services in The Dominican Republic and I was wondering if anyone on this forum has had any experience with him?

I am a self-pay and the package they are offering is less that half the cost I have been able to find in Atlanta. Plus their package includes the following:

All Consultations, Pre-Lab work and testing

Hospital Stay – Private Room for 2 nights (night before and after surgery).

Support Garments (specific to surgery)

Medical & Staff support Service

Blood Test & Screening

EKG

Surgeon Fee’s

Anesthesiologist

Medications

Follow-up Appointments

Transportation to and from Airport

All necessary transportation to and from Doctor’s office

3 nights in a hotel post-op including meals.

They claim that the only thing not included is my airfare to and from Santa Domingo.

Is this a rip-off?

Welcome to LapBandTalk!

I don't know anything about lap-band surgery in the Dominican Republic. But I know that lots of people go to Mexico and get good deals that are legitimate. The main thing is that a real lap-band costs around $3000. So the surgery should be costing at least 2x that (in US dollars). If it's too cheap, that means they are saying they are using an Allergan or J&J band, but they aren't.

Hope that helps!

Thanks MacMadame!!!

The cost for the Global Medical Services (GMS) lap band procedure is comparable to the cost in Mexico (about $250.00 less).

I have spoken with two people regarding the clinic and both raved about the cleanliness of the hospital and the helpfulness of the staff. They both were satisfied with resort where they stayed for the 3 nights following the procedure though hardly deluxe but it was a clean, comfortable 3 star. It is just that one can never have too much information so I was hoping to find more former patients.

One of the people I spoke with was banded 6 months ago and the other was banded 4 months ago. Both consider their procedures successful and recommended GMS. The second person would like to return to the clinic for some additional procedures (GMS also performs cosmetic surgery) as soon as she reaches her goal weight.

Have you considered Dr. Kirshenbaum in Aurora Colorado. It is about 15 minutes from Denver airport and you can probably fly into Denver for way cheaper than to DR. Dr. Kirshenbaum is $9950 for everything and he will be much cheaper to get back to if you have problems in the future. I loved Dr K and he does such a great job.

Hi there,

I used Dr. Edgar Leino from the Global Medical Services in Dominican Republic. I am an expat living here on a 2-year work contract. I was banded on December 12. I would be happy to chat with you about my procedure. I just came from his office after my first fill (fills are included in the price).

The band that is used is J & J. I asked and they showed me the box. I saw my band on x ray today and Dr. Leino is trying to get me to watch the video of my surgery. No thank you!

My total surgery was $6900. I did not use the transportation services and did not stay at the hotel, however, Dr. Leino had Wilson, the driver, take me home when I was discharged. I asked, and received those deductions for my surgery costs. I went from the hospital back to my apartment. The hotel stay is at Dominican Fiesta which is in my neighborhood (5 blocks from my apartment). The hotel is ok but I have never seen the hotel rooms. I have a membership to the fitness center and use the pool on "non-traveling" weekends. The neighborhood is safe, upper middle class and upper class (Sammy Sosa has a penthouse apartment down the street), and Mirador Sur Park is right across the street from the hotel. MSP is equivalent to Central Park. I walk there most afternoons. There are several colmados, fruit stands, and Bravo (grocery store), within walking distance of the hotel.

The only concern that I had was my spanish is not that good. Dr. Leino speaks English and is understandable. Dhanya was there with me at the beginning and helped me every step of the way. I was so tired from the surgery that I slept for about 24 hours straight. She said she checked in on my three times, but I never saw her again because I was sleeping. Not her fault. I thought I was leaving the hospital at noon and I left at 10:30 AM and was offered a ride home so I took the free ride. She called me several times my cell phone to check in on me. I had a little trouble communicating with the nurses but to be honest, I rolled over and went back to bed. Make sure they show you how the bed works ~ very confusing.

If you want more information, let me know. The weather right now is perfect and should stay this way through March...after that, the humidity will be high. Take care.

I'm scheduled to be banded by Dr. Lieno 4/28. My boyfriend's family lives near there so it didn't bother me too much to go to the DR for surgery. We were planning on just going to DR for fills...(he can get the tickets for around $200) instead of paying here in Florida....I'm not sure how much fills are here in the US. Not sure yet, but good luck to you and thanks for the information.

You are welcome. Fills in the DR plus a mini vacation for the weekend. How fun is that! Good luck and I will be thinking of you in April....My 2nd fill will be at the end of March or the beginning of April. Take care.

Hi, I am getting bandes in Santo Domingo, by Doctor Joseph Manuel Ramirez Kubicek, I am not sure how much they are charging you with Dr. Leino, can you please tell me, as it includes almost the same as my doctor, with the difference I paid for my labs here in US as well as my air ticket from New York. I research Dr. Ramirez and he seems to be one of the best in his fields in Dom. Rep.

Please let me know how it goes with you.

B. Santos

I had a funny thing happen to me before I was able to make it for the surgery.... I got pregnant!!! LOL. So I have it basically on hold until I have the little one. Sometime in October. :thumbup: But the surgery with everything included is around $7500. Hope all goes well for you!!

Hi Everyone!

I am a newbie who is ready to be banded. I am from Jacksonville, Florida and unfortunately, insurance will not cover my procedure (my BMI is a 38.5 and it needs to be 40). I am planning on having my procedure done in the Dominican Republic by Dr. Leino. I cannot tell you how happy I am that I found this site- the information is wonderful.

Anyone banded in the Dominican recently? If so, I would love to hear your experience. I am taking my mom with me and I was wondering where she will stay while I'm having the procedure. Also, any info on the hotel? I read the Dominican Fiesta and some of the reviews said it was horrible. I spoke to someone at Global Medical and she assured me it was ok and had recently been redone...

At any rate, it's not about the hotel (just kinda worried for mom) it's about being banded and starting a new, healthy life!!!

Again, that you all for sharing your stories. I'll let you know when surgery date is!

I'm not sure if you had your surgery with Dr. Ramirez-Kubicek. But I'll ask him about the case with Vihelka Garcia who passed away on 2006 after his surgery. Just a thought! Do your research very well! Your life is not worth the few dollars you'll save by going overseas for surgery!