Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Painful and numb toes during cardio

Always happens to me and it is beginning to tick me off. My toes go painfully numb on the elliptical. Any ideas to alleviate this?

Not to state what might be obvious, but are your shoes too tight? I used to wear shoes that weren't wide enough and that kept happening to me!

No, I hope it is not the shoes, I spent a lot of time looking for a pair that fit my feet leaving me room enough to wiggle the toes.

sounds like a circulation problem to me. i also get numbness (and a bit of tingling) when i use the eliptical or the bike. i've always thought it was due to my blood pressure. have you checked it recently? you might want to check with you doc.

Hey! That happens to me too! My shoes fit fine and it only happens on the elliptical and only if I go for more than 1/2 hour. When I do an hour, my toes really hurt. If you find out why, let me know!

:yikes:

A personal trainer once told me that that is normal, she got the same thing.

I did too at first but then it just went away.

Are you tall? Maybe you need one with longer stride. For me that was the key to a comfortable ride.

Painful toes may mean that you are bouncing on the machine.

A personal trainer once told me that that is normal, she got the same thing.

I did too at first but then it just went away.

Are you tall? Maybe you need one with longer stride. For me that was the key to a comfortable ride.

Painful toes may mean that you are bouncing on the machine.

I am tall - 5'11" and I just read somewhere that holding the foot in the same position of the elliptical cuts off circulation. It may have been someone speculating, though.

The elliptical is famous for causing this, its just one of those things. Its one reason why I used to prefer the treadmill.

I am tall - 5'11" and I just read somewhere that holding the foot in the same position of the elliptical cuts off circulation. It may have been someone speculating, though.

Hey Fellow Tall Girl!

I think there may be some truth to that. I noticed today that I move my feet into different positions when my speed changes. Or when my knees start hitting the machine.:wink2: Long legs.

Edited by chocolate_snaps

I get this too! I think it's a relatively common occurance.

I avoid it by switching up my foot location a bit... even if it's just inching it forward or back a little. I also wiggle my toes a bit if I feel the tingling start.

I also switch up my workout by "peddaling" backwards for about five minutes at a time. I find that when my toes start going numb, when I start going backwards, it helps alleviate the numbness a little.

Have you noticed when doing the elliptical that you are clenching your toes or curling them under a bit trying to "stay on" I tried the elliptical one time and my feet muscles hurt so bad because of this that I bought a treadmill instead.

My trainer actually said that the elliptical isn't great for your body as it has the same stride for everyone, even us tall people! Now I use the treadmill and a bike with arms that move and don't have the tingling problem anymore.

My trainer actually said that the elliptical isn't great for your body as it has the same stride for everyone, even us tall people! Now I use the treadmill and a bike with arms that move and don't have the tingling problem anymore.

I know what you mean. My gym has several styles of elliptical and most dont fit me. They have one particular one that ismore comfy than the rest and now that I am exclusivly using it, my toe pain is a little less. The last 15 minutes of my hour I can feel it coming on rather than 15 mintues into it.

tn_neuroma.jpg

I don't think you have Mortons Neuroma (you didn't say you were in pain) but it is sounds like you're in the same area of the foot as one. When you use the elliptical try to use your whole foot in a full stride to help spread the pressure on the foot. So it is not just on the ball of you foot. Watch while others us the machine. Most times their heel never touches.

Just a thought.