Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

January 26th

hmmm...trock I agree about the charts...but I have no idea what to put on my ticker as a goal weight. I put 150, but to be honest, I don't recall weighing 150 in my adult life...I am 5'7", does anyone have any ideas? I'd like to have a goal, but I certainly dont want it to be unrealistic...

Hi Everyone,

Happy Valentines Day! It sounds like you are all doing well. I have a question for you all. I had chicken tonight and meatloaf last night. I had about 4oz each time and did not feel full. Are any of you having the saem issue, I see that some of you said that you have not been feeling restriction. My doctor won't give me a fill for three more weeks and I am trying to not think about stretching out my stomach too much or the band slipping. I am so nervous about stretching out my stomach. I am also trying to stay positive. I have only taken off 1.5 lbs since the surgery. It is a total of 12 lbs but it is taking so long. I am not unrealistic but it seems so slow.

Thanks again for all of you. Reading all of your posts adn having your support has been invaluable.

Thanks!

Ideal Body Weight Calculator - MyDietExercise.com

This is a decent ideal body weight calculator because it allows for different frame types (and how to determine which type you are). When I go to my Gastric Band followups, they have me stand on a Tanika Body Composition Analyzer and record the results. My FFM (Fat Free Mass - muscle,bone,tissue,water) is 155 pounds (I weighed about 160 pounds in high school). Per their chart, ideal percent fat above the FFM for a male is 14-23% (female is 17-27%). So my ideal weight would be 177-191. I chose 180 pounds but that is probably a bit low. I'll probably have to adjust as I get closer to goal.

Tonite my wife and I split a 6oz steak filet, a baked potato and a salad. No problems eating anything, so it looks like I'm pretty much healed. Now I just have to keep from gaining weight before my first band adjustment in 10 days.

Craig

Thank you Craig! This is my info according to that chart:

Your ideal weight range-- 148 - 162.8 lbs. (67.3 - 74 kg.). --is based on a formula that calculates what a healthy weight is for most people of your height (67 inches) and frame size (Medium).

So, I am going to change my goal to 160, and then, hopefully I will get there or close, and see if I need to change it again.

weight.png

My mom and sister both had bypass and found that as they got close to their "ideal" weight it was actually lower than they were comfortable with. My sister found that when she was at 135 (ideal weight for her based on height and build) she looked almost gaunt and really had a hard time staying at that weight. She is now at 145 and much happier, looks fantastic, and can maintain that weight with balanced eating and exercise. I am hoping to get down to 150 and then see how I feel and look when I get there.

It's kinda like Queen Latifa who keeps saying she's a size healthier.

Does anyone know what happens when you get the flu now that we are banded? Do we throw up like normal? I know we do more pbing when things get stuck but if our lower stomach is trying to get rid of food because of being sick do we have it pass through to the upper stomach and then out? I don't mean to be graphic but my little one has the stomach flu and I'm not sure what I'm going to do if I get it.

Thanks!!

Christy

I was banded the 26th. I think that my post surgery swelling has gone down becasue this weekend and today I feel like I am starving. But I will eat a little bit feel ok and then hungry again. I think it may be mental, but I have only been eating around 400-500 calories a day. I have lost 27 lbs but I think I am eating too little and that I may be going into starvation mode. I have been getting around 50g of Protein in. I have been exercising too. Any suggestions? I still am in the mushy stage.< /p>

27 pounds is fantastic! You are doing well on your Protein. Try to get your calories up to 1100 or so per day and you won't be as hungry. A good thing I found to eat at mushies stage was Hormel Turkey Chili. Low fat with lots of protein and very filling.

Craig

Hi guys, it's been a while but I wanted to check in with you all. Things are ok with me, struggling to stay at a steady weight but doing ok with it, I bounce around 3-4 pounds up and down but that's ok as I'm not going up steadily, whew.

Who has a fill coming up? Mine is the 3rd of March.

Hope you guys are doing well.

Christy

Hey all..I just go my first fill today!! I got 4cc in a 10cc band!! I'm soo excited b/c I did not have any restriction at all before and I put a few pounds back on...So hopefully this will be when things normalize!!

That is GREAT, Summertime!! How exciting for you. Did it hurt? Did they do it with an x-ray? Can you feel a difference?

I think you're the first of us who has gotten filled. How exciting. I'm looking forward to getting a fill, definitely in Bandster Hell right now, LOL.

Take care!

Christy

My first fill is Tuesday 2/24. My doctor does all of their fills with a fluroscope and they explained the procedure at the support group last Tuesday nite. They put the needle into the port, have you stand up, and then have you drink some strawberry flavored barium. They watch you drink the barium while they fill the band. The plan is to gradually fill the band over three adjustments (1 month, 2 months, 3 months). They told me I probably wouldn't feel much restriction until the third fill. Sometimes they said people can drink during the procedure but a couple of hours later they have swelling which tightens the band too much, so they have to remove some of the saline. Hopefully that won't happen to me. I haven't PB'd yet and don't plan on it if I can help it.

I'm staying steady at 21 pounds lost since starting pre-op. I was told by my doctor that I might gain weight about now, so I guess I'm doing pretty well. I'm still not in the habit of exercising everyday. If I could do that I'm sure I would still be losing weight. My wife and I are splitting meals when we eat out (a lot), so I know I'm not eating nearly as much as I used to.

Craig

Hi all, have been 1 week eating normal food. Have been wary as dont want to get things stuck don't want to stretch anything. Have lost 12kg and going for first fill on 5 March. It is so nice to be "normal"again. Got so tired of Soup but notice I still use soup as a saftey place for me as trying to adjust to different feelings in the body and trying to identify what is normal pain and what is hunger. I do notice that I can't eat as much but still get starving sensations so tend to eat little but often 6x per day.

Back at the Gym and feeling great, did spin class today and felt tired but good.

The fill was not nearly as bad as I had worked it up in my mind..at my doctor you lay down and he numbs the area before putting the needle in..then you sit straight up and they x ray, then you drink the stuff that shows on the x ray and you drink until you start feeling the liquid stay a little...but it was just like getting a shot! I,m on liquids for a couple of days then I work back up to solids...but I really can feel a difference right now b/c before I felt no restriction at all and now if I take a big drink I feel it go down!

Hi everyone!

Well, I'm down 2 more pounds, still having a little trouble remembering to eat slow enough- have had a couple of instances of food feeling stuck, but then it went down.

My first fill is 3/10...I'm so excited!

weight.png