Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

January 26th

I feel like I need a fill too because I can't seem to stay full. I have been trying very hard to watch what I eat and workout. The only thing that I have found difficult to eat is rice. I won't make that mistake again! I like the support and the updates from everyone! Thank you! We all need to band together. Sorry, I couldn't resist that one:tongue2: I am going to my first support group tomorrow night and I am looking forward to hearing what others in my area are experiencing.

After gaining a pound over last weekend I've hit a plateu and I'm staying at the same weight. It is entirely my fault however, since my band hasn't been tightened yet. I haven't been exercising and I've been eating more (I tend to be a grazer, which is bad news for bandsters). Going to get on the treadmill today (I promise) and I'm going to limit what I eat a bit. I've been eating about 1800 calories a day. I'm going to get back down to about 1500 calories a day.

The good news is that my doctor said I would probably gain weight when I went to soft foods. Only a pound has come back so far.

Hang in there, everybody.

Craig

Morning everyone!! :biggrin:

I've been doing some experimenting and have discovered that when I get my calorie intake up to about 1000-1200 I'm dropping pounds much easier. When my calorie intake was closer to 600-800 I was holding steady or even gaining a pound or two. I'm still having restriction and since my weight is over 300 to maintain at that weight takes about 2000 calories a day or more, I just wasn't getting enough calories. I had no idea this would be the case. :crying:

I have a regular lapband and there is no Fluid in it but I have my first fill on the 3rd which I'm not sure I'm going to need. Since I'm only able to eat a cup of food or less in a sitting and I'm mostly able to keep it to around 3, sometimes 4, meals a day. I struggle between lunch and dinner with hunger at times but I'm afraid that getting a fill will decrease the amount I'm able to eat at a time and mess with my calorie goals. We'll just have to see.

So far I've been able to handle all the foods I've tried (including lettuce which I'm thrilled about) but I have not even tried rice or Pasta since being banded. I'm just not tempted by them and figure I don't need to know if I can handle them or not unless I really start craving them. We actually went to a salad buffet last night and while I ate plenty I did go one mini muffin over what would have been full which just gave me the uncomfortable full feeling for a half hour or so. I haven't had any sliming or PBing yet. (knock wood)

I hope you guys are doing well.

Christy

I definately feel less restriction as the weeks go on. I have about 3 times felt that chest-constricting uncomfortableness from eating too fast or too much...I am vehemently trying to avoid that. I have backed off of the solids that caused these and moved back toward softer foods.

I keep having these fears....that I have slipped the band from these episodes, that the fill wont work, that I will somehow manage to mess this up, that I will regret having the band over the bypass. I know some of this is irrational, but the anxiety is still there.

I went to the Dr. on Wednesday. He said everything seemed good, and would like me to start exercising. I have not yet, but plan to dust off the exercise bike this weekend and make it a daily thing. He also says I should be getting 50g of Protein a day, which I worry I sometimes am not. I know I did today, for protein I had a carnation instant Breakfast (5) with 1 cup skim milk (8), 1/2 can tuna with light mayo for lunch and 1/2 for dinner (37.5) so that was 50.5. I just have to keep track...what are some other really high protein things that you all have been eating (I was so surprised to see the amount of protein and tuna, which is good because I love it).

I am going to weigh in tomorrow...hopefully I have surpassed that 19 lb plateau, or at least not gained anything...

Chins Up everyone!

Something to eat to keep your Protein up. Hormel Chili Turkey with Beans (98% fat free). A 15oz can is (2) 1 cup servings (21O calories/3g fat/6g fiber/17g protein). I don't normally like canned chili, but this is pretty good (maybe because there is not much fat, or maybe because I've been craving chili). It costs a dollar a can at Walmart. I've been crushing up some boiled eggs in my albacore tuna with some fat-free mayo - delicious and a lot of protein also.

I have found that I can eat cornbread muffins (Cracker Barrel) and oatmeal bread toast if I eat it slowly. macaroni & cheese is fine. I haven't tried rice or yeast rolls yet. We are going to eat Chinese tomorrow nite so I'll try some fried rice and see (not brave enough to try sticky rice yet). I lost the pound today that I had gained over the weekend. Still not exercising enough, though.

Craig

Great Julie! Was this your doctor follow-up? I would really like to lose a few more pounds before my follow-up on 2/24, but I've lost 20 pounds so far (8 pounds since surgery), which I'm happy with.

Hi everyone! Glad to see that you are all doing well, well done on your weight losses! I had gained 2 pounds after starting on food again but I have lost that now so I am pleased.

Julie, I know what you mean about your fears. I too have had that horrible stuck feeling pain in the chest when I have eaten something too fast or not mushy enough and then I worry that I have done some damage or made my band slip etc. I also worry that my port has flipped because I have been sleeping on my side! Weird I know but I think the only thing that will settle my mind is seeing it on an Xray but that's not going to happen! I will know when I go for my first fill on 9th March if it has flipped or not.

Is anyone else managing to sleep on the sides yet? I am but only for short periods of time and then only on my right side, not my port side. Also I am still getting twinges of pain, well not quite pain, but discomfort, from my port site and my band and I wonder if anyone else is still getting this? I still have some tenderness to the upper left of my navel when I touch that area which is the same place I was having that awful pain shortly after surgery.

I am managing to eat Soup for lunch mainly and then in the evening I eat fish and veggies well cut up and chewed well. I am still having problems with overeating and need to slow down and stop when I am full. The trouble is I stop when I feel full and then over the next 10 minutes I feel even fuller and then bloated. If I eat too late I can feel bloated all night and end up having a terrible night's sleep. I think this is caused by eating too quickly and too much. I am not exercising yet either but will definitely start soon!:thumbup:

Anyway guys, it's great having you all online and sharing our journeys together. Keep up your good work!:ohmy:

Jacquie

Way to go JULIE!!! :ohmy:

Hope I have been having trouble sleeping on my left side until last night. I crawled into bed and was settling down to sleep when I suddenly realized I was laying on my left side without pain and without thinking about it. After so long of it being tender it was kinda weird to just lay down and be fine. I'll have occasional pain but only when I eat too much or when I'm lifting something heavy from over my head. It may be something to ask the doctor about, I'd be concerned with a lot of pain this far out. Other than that it sounds like you are doing well figuring out how to eat with the band!:thumbup:

Now that I am keeping my calories up into the 1200-1300 range I'm dropping about a pound every two days. I had no idea that eating so much less would not allow you to lose weight. I wonder how bypass patients lose weight so quickly when they are eating so much less?:w00t:

Hope you guys have a good day and a good weekend. Any exciting plans?

Christy

I basically don't have any pain at all - just some itching at the incisions from healing. I started putting Mederma Gel on the incisions two weeks after surgery to minimize scarring and they are looking much better. My port is just left of center right below my ribcage. I mainly sleep on my side and back and have not had any problems sleeping - even the night after surgery. I was expecting to have to sleep sitting up for a few days.

I start solid foods tomorrow! (Valentine's Day)

Craig

Happy Valentine's Day everyone!!!

Hope, I've never heard of the port flipping...is that something they said to be careful of regarding sleeping?

Does anyone have a good Ideal Body Weight Cahrt they could share? All of the ones I have found are different, and I have put my goal weight as 150 (I am 5'7-1/4" tall and a medium frame). Now I'm wondering if that is ok...

Happy Velentines day! I do not know where to find a good chart for ideal weight. I try not to pay attention to the charts, because they seem like fiction to me. I went yesterday to have a fill just under 3 weeks post-op. I have the band that holds 14cc and he put in 4cc. I felt fine and drank Water immediately to make sure it went down ok. Dr. said that I would feel normal, but I should go back to liquids for 2-3 days. He recommended that I do not try to eat anything even soft food, or it would get stuck. I went home and had broth...an hour later I was hungry so I had some more Soup. About 2 hours later, I was starving and I decided to have a slice of Velveeta.....MISTAKE. It got stuck and I was in pain for about 5 minutes! He was right and I guess that is why he went to school for 12 years. I learned my lesson and I am back on liquids. It is Valentines Day and Red Wine is a liquid right????

Another pound down, 22 total! I will admit that I have had a couple of things that would not be considered excellent choices, but I definately am eating smaller amounts of everything, even without the restriction (perhaps there is still swelling?)

It was a nice Valentine's present, I am starting to think that I can really do this. My family has been very supportive and it was nice to see the carefully picked out flowers and heart keychain that they got me rather than the usual large box of candy (I am a self-admitted chocoholic).

Chin's Up all!

weight.png

Way to go Julie! Keep up the good work.