Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

New with lots of ???'s (Las Vegas)

Hi -

I've been lurking here for awhile, but have never posted. I have already started the process for Lap Band surgery. I have the referral from my PCM. I am attending the required seminar next Wednesday. I have Tricare prime ins. (Triwest). I'm wondering if there is anything I can do between now and next week. Can I schedule the appt for my psych eval. through a tricare psychiatrist or do I have to see one recomended by the doctor (Dr. Soong)? Has anyone had the surgery done by Dr. Soong? If yes, were you happy? How long did it take from start to finish for the whole process? Did you have any expenses not covered by Tricare?

Basically I would like all the information I can get about this particular doctor and/or the Tricare process/timeline for everything.

Thanks in advance!

KP :)

Hi there...I don't have Tricare (have HPN) but just finished my entire process before the surgery. My insurance required me to do 3 months supervised diet and then after I finished, they referred me to the psychologist. Just finished with all my pre-op tests so I'm just waiting for the results so it can all be forwarded to Dr. Atkinson. I'm so excited!

Hi! Dr. Atkinson & Dr. Soong did my surgery on 1/15/08. Lost #140. Surgical Weight Control Center is the best. Follow Dr. Fishers 9 steps & the pounds & inches will fall off. If you need books or have any questions you can PM me your phone #. Support groups are 2 times a month @ Meadows office. Go into surgery with a positive attitude. You will do just fine. See you at group. Good Luck, Hasta Pronto, George:thumbup::):thumbup:

Good luck with the waiting lasvegasseoul! That is the worst part for me. I am SO impatient and I just started everything!

georgebals - Congrats on the weight loss! I hope I can be that successful. What are Dr. Fisher's 9 steps?

Can't type to well. If you come to group meeting 1/15 @ 6PM SWCC I'll give you a copy. 1. 3 meals daily 2. 4 ozs. only 3. solid foods 4. no carbonated bevs 5. 30 min. per meal 6Don't eat while doing anything else 7. liquids only 1/2 hour before & after meal 8. your in control of your weight 9. renew your commitment every day. I wish you the best of luck. Hasta Pronto, George:thumbup::laugh::thumbup:

how has your process been with Atkinson's office? I'm considering going to them to have my band removed (their the only people my insurance will pay for, although not much). Just wondering what your thoughts are. Thanks! :rolleyes:

Sorry to hear your band has to go. If I needed mine removed I would have Dr. Atkinson do it. He is a lap-band proctor & can install realize. I think he has the most experience with weight loss surgery in Nevada. Dr. Soong is the 1st bariatric Dr. that I've heard say that the band can be removed. If your in the area Brian Grace, PA-C, will lead a support group meeting tonight at 6 P.M. Meadows Lane Office. Good Luck, Hasta Pronto, George:thumbup::rolleyes::thumbup:

Brian is nice... i've only met him at the office, never seen or talked to any of the actual doctors. I don't think me going to a support group is a good idea, since i'm a the other end of the spectrum, and it's not a positive place for those moving towards getting the band. Anyways, I'd love to know more about your experience, etc. Did you go through insurance? Please feel free to write on here or PM me. It would be good to know someone with first-hand knowledge, which I don't have much of as far as Atkinson goes... yet. :thumbup:

Today is my 1y.o. band day. Lost #140 I started looking into WLS about 11 years ago. Band was not an option in U.S. then. By-pass was different then today. I became disabled and retired from working 6 ago years. I moved here from Alaska to have spine fusion surgery. I think its was 80% that Social Security Disability covers. I had my orthopedic surgeon refer me to a band clinic(SWCC). Brian told me,my after care would be free. I was trying to get new people to (support) group at SWCC. Dr. Segura has helped me alot pre-op & post-op. She is in a the best position to tell you what you want to know about Dr. Atkinson. Her e-mail is ksegura637@hotmail.com

She also has a group. I'm the newest post-op there. I hope this helps & this is what you wanted to know. Wish you the best of luck. Hasta Pronto, George:thumbup:;):thumbup:

Today is my 1y.o. band day. Lost #140 I started looking into WLS about 11 years ago. Band was not an option in U.S. then. By-pass was different then today. I became disabled and retired from working 6 ago years. I moved here from Alaska to have spine fusion surgery. I think its was 80% that Social Security Disability covers. I had my orthopedic surgeon refer me to a band clinic(SWCC). Brian told me,my after care would be free. I was trying to get new people to (support) group at SWCC. Dr. Segura has helped me alot pre-op & post-op. She is in a the best position to tell you what you want to know about Dr. Atkinson. Her e-mail is ksegura637@hotmail.com

She also has a group. I'm the newest post-op there. I hope this helps & this is what you wanted to know. Wish you the best of luck. Hasta Pronto, George:thumbup::tt2::thumbup:

Hi george. Thank you for the info. I think I'm confused... Did you have surgery with Atkinson's office? Do you do your adjustments etc there? Do they charge anything for that? How is the aftercare?

Dr. Atkinson preformed my WLS with Dr. Soong. This was at North Vista Hospital in North Las Vegas, on 1/15/08. The nurse's explained to me that either Doctor might have preformed my surgery- Dr. Atkinson is the one who signed my admitting sheet with Brian Grace. Dr. Segura was working with the clinic ( Sugical Weight Control Center, SWCC ). She did my pre-op eval. She held a very great group meetings at SWCC. She holds great WLS meetings now in Summerlin. SWCC at Meadows holds 2 support groups a month for banders & 1 for by-pass. I have a couple more places that I use for support. I have lost over 143 pounds & have not had a fill yet. If I decide to get a fill Brian said there will be no charge to me. Melissa would be the one to do my fills if needed. My out of pocket expences have been less than $2,500.00 with medicare.

I have attened seminars of the 2 new Doctors in town. I got lucky in my choice of clinics. After care is what I make of it & it's been great. Hasta Pronto, George:thumbup::tt2::thumbup: P.S. Las Vegas is the fattest city in U.S. Many,many tons have been lost through SWCC

Thank you so much for your thoughts and insights. I'm going to talk with them again next week... I'll let you know what I hear. :scared2: