Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Hi everyone. I so excited. I just had my surgery on dec the 27 of 2008.

it's has been 6 days since my surgery. i have been off from work for about a week and now that im back to work i have found myself with the same habits that i have been use to here at work. One of them is smoking. I smoke at work and now that im here i have the urge to smoke a cigarette. But im scared and I'm wondering something. I already know that smoking is bad for you but a smoker doesn't care about that. So, bypassing the main reason why smoking is bad, I wonder how it can affect my surgery? If any one has a good explanation please send it over so i can ready it. Or if is not that bad send it over too. Although I will let you know that by the time i get a reply I might have already puff one. I can feel it in my mouth.

Edited by ffp1970

I quit nearly 3 yrs ago, & glad i did, but getting back to your situation,

when i smoked after operations, it took me longer to recover, made me cough, & hurt like hell when i was healing, made me feel dizzy/weak & wished i had waited longer for that first draw..

made me run to the bathroom & gave me a tummy ache...

That was my ordeal...did i listen to anyone? ...No..but wished i had..but that was from a smoker too back then...

Now i quit i hope after my lapband op i will recover better & quicker ?....Maybe i will ? maybe i wont ?

Amazing!!!!

Thank you for your quick reply. I was about to light my first one but i think I will try to hold on a bit longer. Thank you for your quick reply.

it's has been 6 days since my surgery. i have been off from work for about a week and now that im back to work i have found myself with the same habits that i have been use to here at work. One of them is smoking. I smoke at work and now that im here i have the urge to smoke a cigarette. But im scared and I'm wondering something. I already know that smoking is bad for you but a smoker doesn't care about that. So, bypassing the main reason why smoking is bad, I wonder how it can affect my surgery? If any one has a good explanation please send it over so i can ready it. Or if is not that bad send it over too. Although I will let you know that by the time i get a reply I might have already puff one. I can feel it in my mouth.

I am not a smoker and I have never been. I don't even know why it is a requirement to stop smoking in order to get the lapband. What I do know is that most of us had the lapband done for health reasons; and some to improve their look. Isn't that the same reason why people quit smoking? Why would you do one with out the other?

Smoking constricts the blood vessels and impairs healing. It is also vey bad for your lungs and just a few days out as you are you're still at some risk for pneumonia. May I suggest going on your lunch hour and buying the patch? Now's a good opportunity to quit for good. Smoking can also irritate the esophagus etc...

so stay strong (I know it's hard I smoked over 3 packs a day when I finally quit in 1995) it's worth it. Use the money you spend on cigarettes to start a fund for new clothes! :biggrin:

Thank you for the info. I think I will try to hold on. But the information you are giving I will use to make me resist the temptation. And yes, you are right, I will be needing money to buy me my new smaller clothes. Thank you.

For better or worse, my surgeon doesn't require patients to quit - although it's obviously not advised. I've smoked everday for 7 years and I'm terrified to try and quit. We all know how bad it is - but I love it - well I love it and hate it. Part of getting the band is to be "free" from food - and I need to be free from smoking also. I know I NEED to stop - but I'm scared. Any helpful hints?

i can tell you one thing .... quitting isn't easy (for most of us) but it's only really hard for a little while. Each and every day it gets better until the day dawns when you don't want to smoke and haven't even thought about it.

That doesn't really ever happen with food...so like you I was afraid to quit because I thought it would be lifelong misery (like most diets are). It wasn't. There were tough times, for me anyway, but I just thought "I've already gone X days (or weeks or months) without a cigarette. I don't want to start over and I want to quit, so hang in there". Use the patch, use the commit lozenge, use chantix, whatever you think you need, and do it. You will feel good (and smell good!) and you can use the money on new clothes!