Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Banded...Day 2

I remember being so grateful to those people who shared their experiences right after banding. They were very helpful, so I hope this does the same for others...

On 12/30, I arrived at the hospital at 10:30am. I'll admit I was nervous, but I was also sure I was doing the right thing. I put on the gown, peed in a cup, they started an IV and took blood samples. (Nothing too painful, really).

My surgery was at 1:00pm. Because I'm slightly squeemish, I asked the anesthesiologist if he would put me out BEFORE we got to the OR. I didn't really want to see the bright lights, cold room, OR table, etc. He said sure, so I kissed my boyfriend and off I went to lala (lapband) land.

I woke up about an hour an half later although the surgery was only about 30 minutes. I won't kid you, I felt rotten. But that's when you ask for those great drugs!

After some drugs and a cup of tea (so they could see I could drink OK) I walked around the hospital doing some very slow "laps" to get the gas moving. They gave me some broth and Jello but I wasn't too hungry. And I was home by 6pm.

Yesterday I took it VERY easy. Lots of naps, and pain meds every 4 hours. I could probably go longer between meds but I want to stay in control of the pain. The main is mostly gas/cramps/sore belly.

I have four incisions which are healing nicely and I was allowed to take a shower yesterday which made me feel better.

So here I am day 2. Woke up early, took meds, have been walking around the house while everyone sleeps and drinking lots of Water. I feel sore, but I'm glad I did it!

Hope this helps anyone out there thinking about this. :Yawn:

good for you my date is january 13th hope mine go as good, hoping you have a nice recovery, an happy new year.

Hello....

Today is my DAY 2 as well. Let me say that I feel I'm doing great. The only issues I have right now is standing up and getting up on my own, I can't bend much and that is frustrating. My experience at the hospital was great too.

I woke up at 6am, at the hospital by 7:30am, they prepped me by taking a urine sample, then IV, a shot of Heparin, antibiotics, then they rolled me to the OR and they asked me to move myself from the gurnee to the OR table, I did that and that's all I remember. After surgery, they gave me a few sips of Water and a few ice chips, sat me down in a chair and then I was off to home and home by 1pm.

Mostly, I've slept, but I've managed to go up and down the stairs at home just fine. Also, go from the bedroom to the family room and sit with my legs propped up. I've managed to have Jello and broth just fine without any incidents. I also had an ice pop yesterday. Tomorrow will be my last day of Clear liquids.

Other than gas pain, standing and sitting up on my own, I'm doing great. Today I'll be showering and I'm sure that will make me feel much better.

Dear Anabeni,

Thank you for your post. My surgery date is Jan 16th. The closer it gets the more nervous I get. I have had several surgeries before so am not new to the OR. I had my gall bladder out this past summer so my surgeon is using the same port holes. Thanks again............:Yawn:

Thought I would post my progress. Banded Dec 8, 2008 by Dr. Uchal Allegheny General Hospital, Pittsburgh, Pa. My surgery went as expected, with more post op pain than expected and nausea that I hated in recovery room but overall went well. Overnight stay in hospital and back to work 8 days postop. The first days back to work were easy days as my coworkers are awesome and carried me through. Diet post op has been easier than I thought---I am basically eating broths, skim milk 24 oz per day, and no sugar added popcicles and splenda drinks. I also started to exercise this week. My incisions (5) are healing nicely, and now that the swelling has subsided, I can feel my port a bit, but not bothersome. I get my first fill next week. I am not using any Protein supplements and feel good without them. I am hungry in the morning, and drink my milk first thing!

Thank you both who are post op day 2 for your posts, good to hear good experiences. I am scheduled for Jan 16 and am getting anxious. I start the liquid diet tomm. :thumbup:

Hi Beachwalker,

I lived in Westford, MA about 16 years ago. My husband was stationed there. We now live in the Dayton area and I am having my band put on by a military doctor on base. I have been to several of their support groups and you hear both sides of the stories. The surgeon sits there and listons to us then talks the last hour. I start my pre-op diet a week before surgery, which consists of 2 Slim Fast drinks and a Healthy Choice meal for dinner, that is it, NO SNACKS! I am getting very anxious about this just hope I can do it......:Yawn: