Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Manitoba anyone?

Hey all -

I'm kind of relieved some of you are also having some issues not drinking while you eat. It'll come, but man it's annoying!

I've spent the last 5 days breaking one of the biggest rules. I had a really bad bout of tonsilitis and strep throat and I'm not sure about the rest of you, but when my throat feels like it has razor blades sticking out all over it i can't drink anything unless it has bubbles in it - ie: pop. Big no-no, I know, but short of actually taking a knife and trying to cut my tonsils out myself, it was the only relief I could get until the meds kicked in! Ah well, Water under the bridge - not going to worry about it for now. I'm on the mend, I actually even left the house today - go me!

Haven't heard yet from Jen, so I will try to give her a call tomorrow to see about when my next appointment is.

I don't have time to respond to everything you guys have written but a couple stuck out that I thought I'd make quick mention of -

Tammar - hope things get better, and if not totally talk to Danielle, we didn't pay all this $$ to just hope for the best!

Fish - Sorry to hear you're shoulder pain is still there sometimes - it will pass - but it's damn awful while it's there, so I feel for ya. Eventually you'll just realize 'oh - i haven't felt it in DAYS!' and you can do a happy dance :smile2:

moonbeam - YAY! Glad you're feeling some restriction, and I'm glad he listened to you and put in as much as you wanted. Considering you're in Winnipeg, if it didn't work, it's not like you couldn't of gone back to get it taken down a bit, so I'm really happy you got what you asked for. I feel a bit of restriction and i'm at 4.5 as well so it'll be interesting to see what all of us eventually end up being filled to.

Take care all, off to get the rugrat ready for bed so I can hit the hay myself!

k.

ps not proof reading, so my apologizes for any major faux pas :)

To be honest I was starting to feel very depressed and 2nd guessing my decision to get the band. Today is only day one after that last fill, but I experienced slime and discomfort after trying to eat some cold chicken. How odd is it that we are happy to feel discomfort and pain? I've actually gained back 4 pounds since the surgery so now I hope things start to go back the other way. Fingers crossed!

Moonbeam, I also have gained a bit of weight back since my surgery, actually about the same amount too. What you wrote there pretty much sums up what I've been feeling. I'm getting a fill next week and hopefully I too will get to feel that discomfort and pain. Probably the only time I will ever look forward to such a thing but so be it, that is what is going to help me get to where I want to be right?!

Hi All,

I have some exciting stories to share, since the last few days. I haven't had to purge for 2 days now. This is a first for me, since my fill a couple of saturdays ago. I've really been conscious of the size of bite I take, and really count my chews now more than ever.

And...even more exciting to me than that, I hit a pretty big milestone. Exactly 319 days ago, I bought a Wii Fit. I was soooo excited to start using it. Only, when I stepped on it for the first time, the darn thing told me to get off, and that I was too heavy. I've waited almost a year, but my first major goal for myself was to be able to look like a fool, and get some excersize in on that darn game. Last night I finally got my chance!

I stepped on the Wii Fit, and it didn't yell at me to get off. I was 1 pound lighter than the maximum weight!

Anyways, gotta go, I have a hoola hoop contest to enter in the virtual world of Wii!:thumbup:

Hi All,

I have some exciting stories to share, since the last few days. I haven't had to purge for 2 days now. This is a first for me, since my fill a couple of saturdays ago. I've really been conscious of the size of bite I take, and really count my chews now more than ever.

And...even more exciting to me than that, I hit a pretty big milestone. Exactly 319 days ago, I bought a Wii Fit. I was soooo excited to start using it. Only, when I stepped on it for the first time, the darn thing told me to get off, and that I was too heavy. I've waited almost a year, but my first major goal for myself was to be able to look like a fool, and get some excersize in on that darn game. Last night I finally got my chance!

I stepped on the Wii Fit, and it didn't yell at me to get off. I was 1 pound lighter than the maximum weight!

Anyways, gotta go, I have a hoola hoop contest to enter in the virtual world of Wii!:thumbup:

Happy Dance for Tammar! Now that's a milestone! Way to go. ;) !! Gotta love the non scale victories eh? They really seem to mean more.

How are you finding the Wii Fit? I'm seriously considering getting one but after spending all the money in the world I have on this and then missing the sale they have on right now...:) I don't know if I want to spend the money for something like that unless I know it's not just another weight loss tool i won't use.

Tammar - Glad to hear the eating is going better! Right after I imparted those golden words of wisdom and encouragement - I was a little hungry, so I snarfed down a piece of fish too quickly and did not chew that great either. I got my that sicky, nauseated feeling which I knew meant that my chest and head were about to explode. I had not had the slime spit happen, but never say never! I am no longer a slime virgin! I tried swallowing it - but that only made the blockage feel worse - like when you take a drink thinking that you will just wash it down - instead it is 100x's worse. My advice if this happens would be to keep spittting out the spit - do not try and make it go back down - learn from my stupidity! :-) (big sigh - so good at giving advice and not so good at heeding it!). So far though, no purging.....

Congrats on the Wii - it is a great source of fun - you have inspired me to try and get back on ours - I quit as I thought I was too fat and was embarrassed my Mii looked like a little porker when compared to my family who were in a battle to see who could unlock the most levels and beat the trainer which one of them actually did - how do you compete with that? I was still trying not to get smacked in the head with the shoe on the soccer pitch! But I think I will give it a whirl again!

Cheers

I just read the thread about the summer special at the Maples.....with the lapband surgery being $2000 less! Wow,shouda, coulda, woulda... *sigh* still I'm glad I had it done no matter that I paid more. I'm also glad that I haven't experienced 'sliming' it sounds nasty!

Moonbeam, the Wii Fit is certainly fun. If you already have a Wii, the investment for the Wii Fit isnt that much, and I understand there are several new games available now which make use of the Wii Fit board. If you try it, let us know how it goes for you.

That's too funny, I actually went and bought a Wii and Wii fit this afternoon and I'm totally loving it! I was surprised that after a half hour using it and trying out the different exercises I could really tell that some of my muscles were being used in a way I'm not used too. It was sad though when it started with this cute litte Wii character and then it weighs you and such and all of a sudden that little character expands to look just as big as you already know you are. I have to say that I didn't expect that and was kind of upset when it reminded me that my BMI is "extremely obese" as if I didn't already know that. But I love how it lets you set a goal and will keep track of your progress for you. I really think this is going to be a way for me to get in that extra bit of exercise I need!

I too am bummed out about missing out on the price reduction by just 4 months but I have a plan in place to try and bargain with Jenn, so we'll see what happens. I will definitely let you know.

Great to hear people are enjoying it. It really makes excersize fun when you start doing things like hoola hoops and tight rope walking.

It is sad that you have to watch your mii expand, but it's fun to see it shrink too. Imagine how it feels to be yelled at by the thing, and told you're too obese to even use it. Remember that old joke about stepping on the scale and having it tell you, "one at a time please", well thats almost a reality for the wii fit.

Keep on keeping on.

Btw, when are we all going to meet somewhere for a nice healthy Protein Shake?

wii fit sounds fun. i was one of the lucky ones that got the break on surgery but the wife missed it by fews days .

did not save to much money in the end, i am getting more active and getting out more and the wife made me buy her a camper so i have to go camping now. yaaa!

three weeks out of surgery and feeling much better now. 2nd week sucked like crap but got through it.

noooo restriction at all but still not eating as much and Protein is big item on my plate.

tried to sabotage myself the other day by eating like crap but caught myself before to much damage was done to me. its something i have always done to myself when i have dieted before .

love my lap band !!!

it wont let me go back to what i was. :tongue_smilie:

later everyone.

Ahh the journey of self discovery.. and slime! Jeez what a slimey weekend! lol I've discovered that bacon doesn't go down, neither do hot dog weiners. It's the weirdest thing though, I seem to be able to eat chips and popcorn and Cookies just fine!

I went camping in St Malo this weekend and wistfully looked at the kayacks and thought that one day I would fit into one of those! Hope everyone had a great weekend!

Hi All,

Well, I was hoping to get banded on Aug.11 and now it may have to be pushed back a month because my blood pressure is high and have started on a new medication so they would like for me to be on it for a month before doing the surgery. I just hope I still get the discount. To save $2000 would be nice, although it wouldn't change my mind if I didn't get it. It's understandable but I was really wanting to just get this over with!!! Has anyone experienced Hair loss? I spoke to someone who had the surgery a year ago and she told me that was one of her symptoms. Glad to hear all your successful stories...it's really motivating!

Hi Mandine,

I can understand your eagerness to get the process started (and saving 2000!) but better to be safe than sorry right?

Personally I have experienced no Hair loss. I'm guessing that hair loss could be a result of poor nutrition...

Keep us posted!

Mandine,

Like Moonbeam I also understand your wanting to get started as soon as possible. And yes the 2000$ savings would be nice too! You're health really is the most important part right now and the Dr's would make you wait unless they felt that it might complicate the surgery or hinder your healing process. Although it sucks it is in your best interest. If it were me (and I know this is totally the wrong attitude but its the way I think sometimes) I'd take advantage of the last summer month being band free and enjoy all that summer time food/drink that may very well no longer be an option for you in the future. For example I went to a concert the other night and decided I would treat myself to a drink... well I guess my body and decreased food intake isn't used to alcohol cause I was finished after just half of a vodka cooler whereas in the past I could enjoy 4 or 5 safely. Now that I think about it this is way better for my liver and pocket book anyways. :rolleyes:

As for Hair loss, I'm just 4 months out now and have not experienced any hair loss. It is my understanding that this is mostly caused by too low levels of Protein intake amongst other nutritional factors. When you meet with the dietitian (if you haven't already) she'll go over the importance of all of the dietary requirements including protein and how to make sure that you meet them all.

Hi Mandine,

What Leslee said about the Hair loss being related to a nuturitional defiecency is absolutely correct. You need to eat your Protein. I myself have not noticed any more hair loss than what I normally had before.

Leslee - sounds like you went to Green Day, fanstastic concert , eh?

Cheers All!