Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Manitoba anyone?

Thanks SK! Thanks Moonbeam!

It sounds like I'm in the same boat as SK. It really does come down to chewing and small bites. You spend your whole life eating a certain way, technically speaking of course, and in the blink of an eye, you need to re-learn how to eat.

Moonbeam, I also experienced the gas issue for the first week post op. I'm sure I would have felt this a lot more if my I wasn't as concerned with the pain i was experiencing in my throat. Every time I swallowed, it felt like i was swallowing razor blades. The breathing tube they used during surgery cause me to have the worst sore throat imaginable.

Moonbeam, you talked about getting Andrews and Brackens pager number? This was never given to me. Perhaps they were scared to, seeing how often I called Jen and Danielle during my pre-op diet. Being male, they had me on opti-fast for 3 full weeks. I mixed mine with coffee and ice (as someone else in this thread suggested). I blended it, which made it taste more like a Tim Hortons Iced Cap. It didn't really, but i kept telling myself that.

Thanks for everyone's responses!

weight.png

Hey Tammar,

Yes they gave me their pager numbers on the back of the post op hand out. I would definitly phone Jen and ask her for those numbers. I felt silly calling about my questions until I reminded myself I paid thousands of dollars for them to do do a couple of hours of work..they can afford to call us back and do so with no complain.

I keep telling myself the same thing about how much I spent, which is precisely the reason i didn't mind calling so much pre-op. Thanks for the advice, i will certainly call on tuesday to get the numbers.

Another question, how often did you wait to start lifting things again? I want to be able to pick up my daughter, and be more of a help. I feel okay (except in the mornings).

I find int he morning, when i first wake up, the port area is really tight and tender. Feels very muscular. Has anyone else experienced this?:laugh:

weight.png

Edited by tammar

I waited about 2 weeks. I had a hiatus hernia fixed as well and wanted to be pretty careful. My port site hurt for about 3 weeks. I'm at 5 weeks now and finally have no discomfort. I did lots of heavy lifting this weekend with no ill effect. Just have to be paitent. I told my daughter I couldn't pick her up for a couple of weeks. Then again...she's 6 and a bit heavier. lol

hi tammar. glad to see new people on here.

Hi everyone. Moonbeam, thanks for asking how we are making out. I'm three weeks post-op tomorrow and am feeling really good. I still have pain in my left side, especially after eating, but it is just discomfort not anything too bad.

One of the things I am starting to struggle with is hunger. Now that I am eating soft solid food again it seems like I am wanting to eat more often and bigger portions. Of course my portions are far from big, but it just seems like so much compared to what I had been having cause it's actual food. It blows me away that less than a cup of food fills me up! I keep challenging myself to try new things and to eat more when it goes down ok because I'm nervous to try things. The only thing I've had trouble with is scrambled eggs. I thought that would be a great thing to have when I first started on solids but when one egg went down ok I decided to try two a couple of days later and up they came. Yuck! eggs are no longer that appealing... I guess this hunger thing will be better after having a fill- my first one is scheduled for the 20th.

How are you doing, Moonbeam? Did you have your first fill? How are you doing with getting enough Protein in? I'm struggling with that too because I'm not a milk drinker and am just starting to eat meats.

got my surgery date today:thumbup: things are looking up i think. jen called and said to start my pre op diet. june 20 is the big day. its a Saturday and i did not know they did lap band on Saturdays, thought it was a Tuesday thing. oh well here goes pre op yaaaa!

Hey Guys,

I'm doing ok. Kinda down because I'm not loosing any weight. If it wasn't for the scars and the port lump I wouldn't even know I had the surgery. I suppose patience is the key here. I've been reading the forums too much I think and focusing on the negative stories and worst case scenerios. Like needing 7-8 cc's before the band becomes effective.. that sort of stuff. I had my first fill and it was 1 1/2 cc. I get my next one in two weeks and I really hope it's more than that. I felt no restriction at all from it. I tend to focus on the negative and I'm an emotional eater.... sooo.....

I spoke to Danielle about it ( emailed actually) and she was very reassuring. I suppose this is why they call this time bandster hell. On the upside though I have no pain at all from the surgery and am able to excersise with no problems! I've even signed up for my very first Yoga class! We'll see how it goes, it's Yoga for the full bodied woman, so I'm looking forward to not feeling out of place. :-)

Tammar, how are you doing?

Fish how goes the pre op diet? Great that you got your surgery date!

Canadian Girl, do you come back to the maples for your fill?

Hi everyone pre-op SUCKS, my wife is keeping me on the straight and narrow. I am down one week i have two more to go. shakes are OK at home not so good on the road. best thing i can think of to do with them is coffee and sugar twin added kind of makes it taste like hot chocolate

(shitty hot chocolate).

I seem to be down 30 pounds so far and two more weeks to go i think i might make 40 pounds lost. I lost 20 before pre-op and 10 this past week. don't have much faith it will stay off can't live on Water and shakes forever. i saw on here that people gain a Little when people go back on solid foods.

going to try Atkins diet plan after surgery. Atkins seems to work for me before surgery. Proteins first eh!!

things are going not so bad can't wait for this journey to begin. now if i can get of my ass and get moving when i get off the road from trucking i think this is going to be great .

My wife (canadiangirl) is doing great and looks good. we are trying to be supportive for each other.

anyways good luck to all.....

Edited by Too Fat To Fish

Hang in there Fish!

Well it looks like it will be a party at the maples on the 20th! Jen just called and changed my fill date to the 20th from the 14th. I'll end up saying hello to everyone in the waiting room wondering if one of them is you guys!

Hi Moonbeam! Sounds like we will all be there at the same time...hopefully we will get to meet you! My hubby is scheduled for surgery at 10 am so we have to be there at 8:30 or so. What time is your fill?

I will be having my first one that day too. A little nervous about the needle thing but looking forward to having some restriction. I'm so hungry now and although I am trying to stick to the 3 meals a day plan I am often hungry in the evening and wanting to snack before bed. I am also starting to stray a bit from healthy choices and have been eating a lot of new things that maybe aren't the best. For the most part though I'm sticking to the rules and am frustrated because I have stopped losing even though I have added exercise.

It doesn't sound like you felt much restriction after your first fill and that must be discouraging. How are you doing now? What are you finding works the best to help with the hunger?It sucks that everyone is so different and I'm hoping, like you, that I'm not one of those people that needs 8cc's in my band. That's a lot of trips from Regina!

Hi everyone glad to see you are doing good. Good luck to those that have gotten surgery and keep trying to those that are waiting for the wt to come off. For me I haven't gotten another fill for 3 times now. Continue to go the the pool Mon-Fri, doing aqua fit and the lap swim for an hour.

weight.png

Hi everyone I am 4 months post op and have had 4 'fills' .... approx 5cc in a 10cc band. I am still not feeling any restriction :ihih:. Anyone else having this problem, I have lost a small amount of weight post op but it has more to do with me being very careful with portions and exercising than the band. I realize that more factors into weight loss than the amount of 'fill' in the band but it is very frustrating. Thanks for letting me vent!