Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Oprah Speaks for Millions

"I’m mad at myself,” Winfrey writes in an upcoming issue of O magazine. “I’m embarrassed,” she says. “I can’t believe that after all these years, all the things I know how to do, I’m still talking about my weight. I look at my thinner self and think, ‘How did I let this happen again?’”

No coincidence that I read this article online Tuesday morning, and the night before in my tele-support group some of the participants were talking about their frustration with themselves re: having lost weight, knowing how to do it, understanding when and why they overeat, yet still sabotaging their long term weight loss success. One woman having lost nearly 100 pounds with Weight Watchers gained close to 30 pounds within the last 6 months. She was saying how angry and frustrated she was with herself and she couldn’t believe she let this happen. This prompted me to go on a bit of a spiel about the need for self love and compassion, trusting that you are exactly where you are meant to be, accepting what is, living in this moment, listening to your inner voice right here, right now, and acting on it’s guidance in terms of what you need to do in this moment to honor your highest good. That means not beating yourself up about the last moment or worrying about your ability to succeed in the next but rather learning to be a non judgmental witness to your behaviors and their consequences and evaluating their effectiveness in supporting you in living your best life. The words we speak to ourselves are powerful. I believe that what we say to ourselves in this moment creates our experience/reality in the next moment.

Isn’t it amazing that even Oprah would be angry and disappointed in herself? Even with all the access she has to the world’s most powerful spiritual teachers on some level she still struggles to truly/unconditionally love herself. More than anything this proves the point that we are all the same, we are all connected, we are all human.

On a very positive note Oprah has said that being thin is no longer her goal, but that she wants to be healthy strong and fit. Like I wrote in my last blog re: What Motivates You? I do know that chances are slim (pun intended!) that you will maintain your weight loss if your only motivation is the number on the scale. Motivation must come from the inside out!

Some things you may want to affirm for your life:

I listen to and trust my inner wisdom.

I treat my body with kindness and respect.

I listen with love to my body’s messages.

I say only kind and loving things to and about myself.

If you have any thoughts or comments about this blog or would like to learn more about my tele-support groups please do not hesitate to contact me at Louisa@louisalatela.com , www.louisalatela.com or 856.429.9799. Also you can read my column "Soulful Living" in WLS Lifestyles Magazine (www.wlslifestyles.com )

P.S. Thank you Oprah for speaking your truth and sharing your story. Your words resonate deeply with millions of people and serve to motivate positive change in the world. You are a most precious gift to the universe!

Edited by Louisa

I am sorry , I am going to be a little negative here... Probably not the most popular "comments" But why is it when Oprah talks about what other obese people speak of nearly EVERY DAY She's SO Courageous , she so outspoken and gets so much attention for doing what millions of people do and feel every day?

She would give her a cookie for doing what every single one of us have done ?

Is it amazing Oprah would be upset w/ herself ? NO She's a normal person , she's a human being ? Saying things like "Isnt it AMAZING Oprah is upset " is what makes HER Think SHES Amazing . Im sorry Oprah has done NOTHING but negative things for the WLS community . She has bashed it EVERY Chance she got . I think had she NOT done that when she was THINK she WOULD have gotten a band by now !

I am not going to sit here and say " OH PRAISE OPRAH For Saying she's gotten fat again" She's just like the rest of us its about time everyone else including HER realized it !!!

Mindy

I agree with what Mindy said. Oprah is so busy downgrading WLS she makes it sound like we don't deserve to have it. That we should be like her and do what she does. Oprah is so hooked onherself anymore that I no longer like her. If it isn't done her way it isn't the right way. Sorry she is a tangent my daughters and I get on. You really don't want to know the rest.:wink:

Edited by gone 4 ever
mispelled a name

Self love and connection to the universe are always good messages to hear.

Knowing we are not alone is also important.

Regardless of who is saying it, don't worry about it coming out of Oprah's mouth, Mindy's mouth or mine. Look for the message and how you can be a better you.

I am sorry , I am going to be a little negative here... Probably not the most popular "comments" But why is it when Oprah talks about what other obese people speak of nearly EVERY DAY She's SO Courageous , she so outspoken and gets so much attention for doing what millions of people do and feel every day?

She would give her a cookie for doing what every single one of us have done ?

Is it amazing Oprah would be upset w/ herself ? NO She's a normal person , she's a human being ? Saying things like "Isnt it AMAZING Oprah is upset " is what makes HER Think SHES Amazing . Im sorry Oprah has done NOTHING but negative things for the WLS community . She has bashed it EVERY Chance she got . I think had she NOT done that when she was THINK she WOULD have gotten a band by now !

I am not going to sit here and say " OH PRAISE OPRAH For Saying she's gotten fat again" She's just like the rest of us its about time everyone else including HER realized it !!!

Mindy

Oh thank god I'm not the only one to miss out on the Oprah love! I wish she'd shut the feck up and sort out her issues without telling the whole world about it.

She always talks like this time she's found the answer. Yeah. Snore.

Self love and positive affirmations and all that stuff is fine and dandy but every now and then you've got to just face the bald fact that your own behaviour is causing your problem and that you either want to do something about it or you dont. I've already had an Oprah rant on another thread this morning, where I said I think she's against WLS because she actually doesnt WANT to solve her weight issues. She's all about the struggle, we've all had shoved down our throats for years all the adversity Oprah has overcome, she's so strong, she's so grounded, she's so darn gooooooood to have no goal other than to help others when she's had so much to cope with herself. I think maybe she keeps the weight issue going because without it, she's lost the whole foundation for her personality. She'd have to invent another disorder to overcome.

Edited by Jachut

Sorry, but I have to agree-- she's no better than the rest of us, but- she does prove that lots of money and a team of weight loss guru's can't stop that thing we all, including Oprah, have in us that eventually makes us gain back the weight we worked so hard to loose. So, it just validates my desire to have a band- She should consider a band herself.. one thing is for sure, if her insurance won't cover her surgery she'll have no trouble with self-pay.......

Uh----excuse me. Oprah is Oprah because billions of people love her. She has views. She's a human being. She does some things wrong---and she does a ton of things right. I haven't sat down and watched her show in many years and I don't read her magazine but I like and respect her. Even if she has gotten a little full of herself I'll take 1 incredibily decent but flawed women over most of what I see out there in the public eye. Let's just take what we can and leave the rest ---or---eat our carrot sticks and give the woman a break.

Desdemona

Let me say that Oprah is definately NOT an example to follow anyway!!!! Look at her lifestyle, she's miserable. It's going to take more than "spiritual teachers" and "inner voices" to straighten her out. Until she comes back to her roots with "Jesus" she will be headed for disaster on every path that she takes. Wake up Oprah!

I wish she would just get a band and be done with it.

The "band" is not the answer for everyone, I am sure she has thought of it and researched it and for reasons only she knows is not considering it. And I will say it again it is not the answer for a lot of people, many many bandster regain some, most, or all of their weight.

We should not throw rocks while we all live in glass houses!

For those of us who choose to follow Jesus -- how about if we follow HIS advise and let HIM decide who is and who is not miserable and how well any of US (including Oprah) are doing. "Judge not --lest ye be judged."

Sorry, but I have to agree-- she's no better than the rest of us, but- she does prove that lots of money and a team of weight loss guru's can't stop that thing we all, including Oprah, have in us that eventually makes us gain back the weight we worked so hard to loose. So, it just validates my desire to have a band- She should consider a band herself.. one thing is for sure, if her insurance won't cover her surgery she'll have no trouble with self-pay.......

The problem is NOW , even if she wanted the band she couldnt get it . She's been SO Negative for so many yrs about ALL weight loss surgery she would look like such a hypocrite to get it and we all know she wont "Allow" that to happen .

Mindy

Uh----excuse me. Oprah is Oprah because billions of people love her. She has views. She's a human being. She does some things wrong---and she does a ton of things right. I haven't sat down and watched her show in many years and I don't read her magazine but I like and respect her. Even if she has gotten a little full of herself I'll take 1 incredibily decent but flawed women over most of what I see out there in the public eye. Let's just take what we can and leave the rest ---or---eat our carrot sticks and give the woman a break.

Desdemona

If you have not watched the show in yrs then you would see now that Oprah does NOTHING unless it is about HER and benifits her ! The LAST Straw for me was watching her " Vacation " to Africa and she wanted to show her " personal video diary" giving away thousands of dollars of gifts.

OK you dont happen to bring an ENTIRE FILM CREW To Africa on your vacation and ONLY Show yourself hugging children and acting like your an Angel giving away crap. Fine its great she helps people but dont call it what is is, She took a crew there to film it. She acted like " OH I would like to share my personal video w/ you " It was a damn film crew ! I was done w/ her then . And if you watch the show now she worries more about watching HERSELF in the monitor than the guest.

She's so damn self centered now !

Does she help people yes ? Does THAT make her a good person ? NO , Sometimes people do that stuff to benifit themselves !!

Mindy

Let me say that Oprah is definately NOT an example to follow anyway!!!! Look at her lifestyle, she's miserable. It's going to take more than "spiritual teachers" and "inner voices" to straighten her out. Until she comes back to her roots with "Jesus" she will be headed for disaster on every path that she takes. Wake up Oprah!

I dont think it has anything to do w/ religion ( that's a whole other issue ) I think she needs to deal like all of us do w/ the root of her weight issues , the emtional side of it and she's not done that .

THAT is the hard work !

The "band" is not the answer for everyone, I am sure she has thought of it and researched it and for reasons only she knows is not considering it. And I will say it again it is not the answer for a lot of people, many many bandster regain some, most, or all of their weight.

We should not throw rocks while we all live in glass houses!

I agree the band is not for everyone.

However, if its not for HER she should not , in the position she's on throw rocks at US , those of us who have had WLS.

If she does not want the band then , that's great i respect that , if she choses to keep fighting the way she has that is great i respect that. What i DONT respect is why everyone acts like she's a GOD and she's so wonderful for admiting what is A. Obvious , she's put on weight.

And B. Something millions of others deal with and admit

She's NOT SPECIAL !!