Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

HELP! I'm starving already...It's in my head, right?

So since finding out that I have my date (Dec. 30th) with insurance approval and all set to go...I have been eating my way through some of my favorite places. Well, I've gained about 8lbs. -SURE WISH IT WOULD COME OFF AS EASY AS IT GOES ON -

Anyway, I realized that I need to stop and tried yesterday to begin a modified version of my pre-op diet. I decided to have only shakes with a small lunch and dinner.< /p>

I couldnt do it. I felt starving hungry all day long and by night time, after dinner...I raided the fridge. :angry_smile:

I am so worried that I wont be able to do the pre-op that I am almost in tears. It also makes me worry that I will fail the band too b/c I just A L W A Y S feel hungry.

Anyone else like this and any words on how to overcome it? I need to get at least that 8lbs off by surgery date or they wont do the procedure. (policy= no gain at all)

Thanks,

Poodles

I will give it to you straight. During the pre-op diet you will be hungry. It will be difficult but you can do it. After 3-4 days it does get easier. Keep reminding yourself that it is just a short period of your life and the rewards in the end will be soooo worth it, and believe me they will. I won't lie it is hard and I cried a couple times. I couldn't wait to chew again. But the majority of us have been through it and are proof that it can be done. Come here and get support when you need it.

Post-op is a little easier. Right after surgery you do not have much of an appetite. I had to force myself to even drink Water. After a few days you may start to slowly get your appetite back but there is not so much of a calorie restriction so you can have a shake or some broth whenever you are hungry and then when the mushies come it was much easier for me.

Then comes Bandster Hell. When you can eat but there is no restriction to keep you from overeating. But once you get a couple fills and you are at restriction you will no longer be hungry all the time. I rarely feel truly hungry and stay satified on three small meals a day.

It is a difficult period but when you get there this will be a distant memory and I promise you that it will be worth it.

Hi Poodle.me!! I have not been banded yet or even gone through any pre-op, but I have realized something about myself. I think a lot of my food issues ARE in my head!! I have realized that I have a food addiction and that I eat when I am not hungry and pretty much ONLY eat to satisfy my mouth!! So, in a sense, it is all in my head. With a food addiction you are always thinking you are hungry and looking for the food that would taste really great. Stay in contact with the people on here!! :angry_smile: There is a lot of great advise, it WILL get easier, especially when you are on the pre-op and post-op diets! I promise! Good luck yo you!! :frown:

Kim

poodles.me, I know what you are going through. I have been waiting on my approval and doing the same thing. Even my co-workers have noticed I am not eating good now. I think it is in my head that I feel like I don't need to diet now since I will be changing my life soon. This is such wrong thinking and like you, we both know it. I tried too to start practicing the pre-op but my head just wont allow me to.

Now I was denied and will need to appeal and worried about my eating habits I have started. I have to get on track. But you will be done soon and on your way to your new life. Good luck to you!!

I am finding myself obsessed right now. Thinking of all the food I want to eat. I know, obviously, I have a food addiction, its just what to do about it at this time.

I have little support too, from a husband who doesn't want to even help or think about it b/c he LOVES his food, to a good, close friend who is always dieting and is pretty thin right now and is making comments like she "will have to use my doing this as motivation to always be thinner?" what the heck is that all about?

Guess I've been the non threatening fat friend for too long huh? BUT it hurts.

I work from home so I cant even distract myself from the fridge to much. My only hope is to not buy anything new at all and just make sure I am cooking everything. I just bought a bunch of frozen stuff for the husband and kids incase I don't feel like cooking after the surgery, just trying to prepare ahead of time. But I find myself fixating on what's in the freezer. I wanted to eat the chicken Fettuccini Alfred for Breakfast with garlic bread. Family size! ( I didnt )

I have it bad. Weird how it chose not to rear its ugly head until now huh? I mean of course I always knew it was an addiction issue...my weight gives that away, but in my head like this is so different.

How do you cope?

I did not cook during pre-op, period. DH had to fend for himself and when he ate, I took a walk and told him to have everything cleaned up and out of sight before I got back. He was pretty good about it too which is surprising. I did not have any "easy to eat" food in the house. I guzzled Water all the time and drank chicken broth whenever it got to be a little too much. If you are allowed broth, I recommend using the broth from actual chicken noodle Soup (I used Progresso) and straining the noodles and stuff out. It know that it is wasteful but believe it or not that is more sastifying that the purchased broth. You can prepare this now and freeze it in small servings. If allowed, sugar free popsicles were a life saver too. That is the closest I got to chewing in four weeks.

It is hard especially when you don't have the support but we are all here for you!

Poodles I am going thru the same thing! My appt. was moved to next Monday from Nov. and its been nonstop eating! I have tried to slow downa nd start cooking again and I started buying various things now and 'taste testing' shakes and packets etc. All I can say is take small steps to get back on track. Maybe visit thedailyplate.com for work on tracking calories. Hope that helps!

Oh, jodi..I think your first post helped me as well..I am on day 6 of preop diet and I was ready to cry on day 2..Now here I am on day 6 and it really does get easier poodles...Not to mention the 9 1/2 pounds I have already lost in these first 6 days! WooHoo! Poodles, if I can do it, you can too!!! When the time comes for the real deal, you keep yelling yourself: it's just the preop it won't last forever..I'm getting my band the 19th! I CAN'T wait! I am getting so much done before, just to keep my mind off of it..10 days sems like a life time from now, but It'll come..YOU CAN DO IT POODLES!!!

Way to go Klutzyhazel, 9 1/2 lbs is fantastic!

I understand what you are going through, I am on day 7 of my pre-op diet and there are times that I think I am just not going to make it. Really though, after the first couple of days it gets so much better, you just have to make it through the initial withdrawal from sugar and carbs and then your body really starts to respond to what you are trying to do. I weighed this morning and was surprised to see that I have lost 10lbs since beginning pre-op. It isn't easy, but nothing worth doing ever is right? One thing I have done that has helped me is to go for a walk or bike ride to take my mind off of food. It feels empowering to make the choice not to give in to a craving and the exercise makes me feel energized. I am so excited about this new lifestyle...I am worth it and so are you. Just hang in there and try to replace any worry or negativity with thoughts about how great it is going to feel to be strong, healthy, and fit. Good luck!

It starts in the head, you no that saying "we want what we can't have" so everything is magnified. Change your mind set on food, talk yourself though the craving, by asking "why do I want to eat this food", it's going to to be tough but you can do it. As I'm in my pre-op and it's been challening but I'm doing. But over all it's been cool. So far I lost 12 lbs in 6 days of pre-op.

No there was time I start to feel qwizzie so I eat some crackers and I felt better. Hang on in there when your time comes. "YOU CAN DO IT".

Oh, thanks so much everyone! I really appreciate the input and that you all cared to answer.

I can see now how much I need this group. I think I feel alone, or at least I did feel alone and now I don't any longer.

I know its in my head and I think I need to look up info on food addiction. I may even try to find a counselor in my area. I think I really need to do that. When you are obsessed with something maybe its time for help huh?

I'm so glad that I'm on this journey though and I do realize it will be hard but in all honesty? I am dying inside right now so this is going to be a lifesaver for me. I cant even walk more than the grocery store and thats it b/c of knees and hips. I limp and am in pain all the time too. I just so much look forward to my new life.

I went out last night and bought some things that are allowed on my pre-op. Jell-O, Popsicles, turkey breast. I plan to start it today just so get my feet wet, so to speak. I need to start on the 20th but I want/need to start now b/c I am concerned. I am still allowing myself to have dinner on Sunday b/c since I will have just been banded when its my birthday, I want to have a nice dinner now. -maybe a little cake too-

One big thing that I have to work on is no coffee. UGH..I don't drink a lot of it but I love it in the morning. -2 cups-...does anyone know why you cant have it pre or post op?

The caffeine. The two reasons given are that it can cause nausea (post-op) and also it is a stimulant so it can stimulate your appetite.

Really? I thought it helped make me feel less hungry? WOW I am really shocked. No wonder I'm always hungry at Breakfast time.

One other question this morning...

I get up very early b/c of work. I get up at 5:00 and usually have coffee and wait till at least 7 to eat. I wonder if this is not hurting me b/c honestly I am hungry for lunch at 10:00.

Any suggestions on how to eat given my schedule? Should I try to hold off till 8 to eat (hard) or should I eat something at 5:30ish?

Thanks a bunch

No, I wouldn't hold off even longer. My day starts at 5 so I can tell you what my doctor suggested.

You should always "break your fast" as soon as possible in the morning. I have to take my thyroid meds first thing and wait an hour so I get up at 5 and eat at 6. I usually have an eggbeater omelet. I am not a coffee drinker but since banding I started drinking tea. I wait until after Breakfast to have my tea (the driking rule is 30 minutes after eating for me). I am usually hungry by around 10:30 so I was told it was OK to have a small healthy snack. This is a good time to supplement your Protein if you need to. You could have a Protein shake, a small piece of fruit (1/2 banana with a tsp. of peanut butter) a tiny handful of Kashi high Protein Cereal (I eat it dry). Then I have my lunch at 12:00. My doctor approves of this and my weight loss has been great.