Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

6 days post op and hardly able to eat...help!

What is a realistic amount of weight to loose in the first 30 days following surgery? I was scheduled to be banded on 12/23 but because of my insurance requirements I had to change the date to 04/08/09. I can't wait to have the proceedure done.

Hello all!

I was banded on 12/23/08 and my weight before surgery was 235. Today I am at 227. I have been doing liquids, including the Protein Drink, and yesterday had about a 1/4 cup of cream of chicken Soup. Later in the evening I added mashed potatoes to the soup but couldn't eat much. Other than discomfort, I think things are going well.

I was banded on 12/23 and am doing great. I'm very gassy and can belch like a sailor.

I'm getting my 60+ Protein and over 64 oz of Water. I really want to chew something but I gotta weight for that.

I was banded on 12/22, and I am starving! Tomorrow is day 8, and I get to have cottage cheese, oatmeal, and creamed Soups. The pain from stomach hunger shoots up my back and makes me very uncomfortable.

When I first came home, I couldn't eat (drink) what I was supposed to until 3 or 4 day post op.

Now I have 3 Protein shakes, a Fiber drink, and a cup of tomoto Soup. Also sipping in Water constantly. I can't wait to fill full. Will I fill full when I start eating more solids? I hope so!

Should I be worried? I've lost almost 10 lbs and it has been less than 6 days since surgery.

That's all you lost? Well, chin up. Some are slower losers than others. You may just be one of those.

I cetainly don;t want to tell you to not follow doctors order, but I had a solid food on day 4, (Meximelt from Taco Bell) -- only time I cheated and it took a couple hours to get it down, but I really needed it and it helped me with post banding depression.

What's "post-banding depression"??

And going against doctor's orders is NOT recommended since stitches holding your band in place can be severely compromised with solids like that so early on.

Wow, when you said this was not a "diet," you weren't kidding. Maybe you should have considered something that required absolutely no self-control on your part.

What's "post-banding depression"??

Um, just a guess, but maybe that means being depressed after being banded? I know I was for a while.

Um, just a guess, but maybe that means being depressed after being banded? I know I was for a while.

Hmmm. :frown:

Edited by BethFromVA

I mean, why would anybody be depressed after being banded? Isn't that what we wanted?

Because there can be a lot of emotion associated with this operation. Take me, for example. This is not something I particularly wanted. I'm not that overweight. However, I'm a type 2 diabetic, and it was either do this now when I'm 30 or start looking for new kidneys when I'm 40. Given the choice, I think I'd rather do the lap-band.

I'm not thrilled about it, but I'm going to follow my diet and exercise and do what I have to do for me to lose weight and my diabetes to go into remission. And if a cure ever comes along for insulin resistance, then I'm going to give serious thought to having the band taken out.

So the weeks leading up to my surgery and the days since (it was one week ago today) have been very hard for me.

I certainly don;t want to tell you to not follow doctors order, but I had a solid food on day 4, (Meximelt from Taco Bell) -- only time I cheated and it took a couple hours to get it down, but I really needed it and it helped me with post banding depression.

The reason we are not supposed to cheat and eat stuff like taco bell mexi melts ,is not because we can't physically eat it, but because our stomach's have to work hard at digesting the food. it can cause the stitches holding the band in place not to heal properly and cause a slippage later on.

Post band depression...I have it. I even cried on the operating table and the dr put me to sleep "early". I did the band for a multitude of reasons, health, vanity, etc.. But at the same time I love food as well. I am morning the foods I can not eat right now. Angry, that I do not have a fast metabolism and can eat what I want like many of my friends without getting diabetes, heart disease and dying young. So, yeah post band depression does exist.

Because there can be a lot of emotion associated with this operation. Take me, for example. This is not something I particularly wanted. I'm not that overweight. However, I'm a type 2 diabetic, and it was either do this now when I'm 30 or start looking for new kidneys when I'm 40. Given the choice, I think I'd rather do the lap-band.

I'm not thrilled about it, but I'm going to follow my diet and exercise and do what I have to do for me to lose weight and my diabetes to go into remission. And if a cure ever comes along for insulin resistance, then I'm going to give serious thought to having the band taken out.

So the weeks leading up to my surgery and the days since (it was one week ago today) have been very hard for me.

Sorry to hear that. I guess I just have a hard time thinking about something like this that can literally save our lives being something that we "had" to do. I mean, we all "have" to do it to a degree, but not being thrilled about it -- well, I would worry that you are already setting yourself up to fail.

You have to want to have it in order for it to succeed, I believe. I may be proven wrong by others, but if you are doing it cuz it it is the lesser of two evils... it's just not a great way to do this.

The reason we are not supposed to cheat and eat stuff like taco bell mexi melts ,is not because we can't physically eat it, but because our stomach's have to work hard at digesting the food. it can cause the stitches holding the band in place not to heal properly and cause a slippage later on.

No worries, mnn has this all down pat. She makes up her own rules as she goes along and then pulls the high-and-mighty act when others admit their struggles, saying "this is not a diet," as if there really is no requirement on our parts to make the band work FOR us. Seems somebody can't keep away from the Taco Bell for even four days. Whatev... I just hope the newbies and those considering the band don't find this thread.

this is just one of the many 'validation' threads.

i think we need a sub-forum of sorts.

post 1 - i ate something really horrible even though my doctor said i should still be on liquids. it went down fine, i'm OK, RIGHT??

post 2 - (coming from someone who's been banded for 2-3 months) - i did it too, you'll be fine

post 3 - (coming from someone who's been banded for 2-3 YEARS) - dont do it, the post op diet is for healing, not for losing weight

original poster - ok, thanks post 2, i'll keep on eating my fried chicken, steak, refried Beans, etc while on liquids....

post 3 again - GAHHHHHHHHHHH

this is just one of the many 'validation' threads.

i think we need a sub-forum of sorts.

post 1 - i ate something really horrible even though my doctor said i should still be on liquids. it went down fine, i'm OK, RIGHT??

post 2 - (coming from someone who's been banded for 2-3 months) - i did it too, you'll be fine

post 3 - (coming from someone who's been banded for 2-3 YEARS) - dont do it, the post op diet is for healing, not for losing weight

original poster - ok, thanks post 2, i'll keep on eating my fried chicken, steak, refried Beans, etc while on liquids....

post 3 again - GAHHHHHHHHHHH

Ah, I see how this game works! Okay, I wanna try one:

Post 1 - I have this car, it's pretty old and worn out, but I really need to make this car last, so I got new tires which will really help my situation and allow me to get to my job so I can keep my home and pay the bills. However my overwhelming desire to drive over fields of glass shards and nails got the better of me and I did it three days after getting the new tires. Do you think they are okay?

Post 2 - Yeah, I did that once and I was fine. You'll be fine, just don't do it that often.

Post 3 - Wait, I'm no mechanic but I have owned cars for 20 years and that's just not a good thing. If you need the car to get to you job which helps keep you in your home and food on the table, you may want to reconsider doing that.

Original Poster - Okay Poster 2, thank you for sharing your experience. You came out okay, so I'm sure I will too. My tires can handle it even though the owner's manual and my mechanic said not to. That way I can enjoy my new tires AND feed my overwhelming need to drive over shards of glass and nails.

Hm, I dunno. Sounds kinda stupid when you put TIRES in the storyline... I mean, they're hundreds of dollars and you have to put the car up on those wicked lifts and stuff... :frown: