Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

6 days post op and hardly able to eat...help!

Ah, I see how this game works! Okay, I wanna try one:

Post 1 - I have this car, it's pretty old and worn out, but I really need to make this car last, so I got new tires which will really help my situation and allow me to get to my job so I can keep my home and pay the bills. However my overwhelming desire to drive over fields of glass shards and nails got the better of me and I did it three days after getting the new tires. Do you think they are okay?

Post 2 - Yeah, I did that once and I was fine. You'll be fine, just don't do it that often.

Post 3 - Wait, I'm no mechanic but I have owned cars for 20 years and that's just not a good thing. If you need the car to get to you job which helps keep you in your home and food on the table, you may want to reconsider doing that.

Original Poster - Okay Poster 2, thank you for sharing your experience. You came out okay, so I'm sure I will too. My tires can handle it even though the owner's manual and my mechanic said not to. That way I can enjoy my new tires AND feed my overwhelming need to drive over shards of glass and nails.

Hm, I dunno. Sounds kinda stupid when you put TIRES in the storyline... I mean, they're hundreds of dollars and you have to put the car up on those wicked lifts and stuff... :frown:

Beth...I must be a sloooowwww learner because I need some clarification on this - your post is just way too vague... So when I go to Taco Bell, and order a "nail and spike burrito" I'm supposed to ask them to hold the glass shards????

Brad

i too was banded on Dec 22nd i have had refried Beans, cream of mushroom Soup, mashed sweet potatoes, scrambled egg, grits and of course my Protein drinks my stomach still growls and i feel hungry all the time what gives?

Well there's some humorous exchanges occurring here because this question re-appears about three times a week. :frown:

Look... here's the bottom line. Most all bands are put in place with no Fluid in them. So nearly all of the restriction you initially feel is swelling from the surgical procedure - not the band. Once that swelling subsides - the restriction, in most people (there are a few exceptions - don't expect to be one of them) goes right with it. Your hunger comes screaming back with a vengeance and all you think about is food and wanting to eat. You have to fight this almost solely with will power.

This period is referred to as "bandster hell." Almost everybody goes through it. BUT... just because you CAN eat about whatever you want doesn't mean it's OK to eat whatever you want. The restricted diet imposed by your surgeon/nutritionist, is designed to allow your pouch to heal. When you cheat - you're causing your pouch to be overworked during the digestive process.

This "bandster hell" period IS NOT FOR WEIGHT LOSS - it's for HEALING. By cheating, you are subverting that process, which may cause problems down the road.

Now, most of us have bent the food rules here and there - but to coddle you and tell you it's OK, just because we did it IS WRONG! It's not OK! It wasn't OK when we did it - and it's still not OK for you.

Brad

Sorry to hear that. I guess I just have a hard time thinking about something like this that can literally save our lives being something that we "had" to do. I mean, we all "have" to do it to a degree, but not being thrilled about it -- well, I would worry that you are already setting yourself up to fail.

You have to want to have it in order for it to succeed, I believe. I may be proven wrong by others, but if you are doing it cuz it it is the lesser of two evils... it's just not a great way to do this.

I disagree. Just because I'm not happy about having to do this doesn't mean I don't have the willpower to do what I'm supposed to.

Beth...I must be a sloooowwww learner because I need some clarification on this - your post is just way too vague... So when I go to Taco Bell, and order a "nail and spike burrito" I'm supposed to ask them to hold the glass shards????

Brad

ROTFLMAO! Touche, mate. :frown:

Banded 12/25, my doc made me add more calories. I am not losing and am up 4lbs. He said I had gone in to the starvation mode and that was what was going on. FORCED my self to take in 800 cal today feel awful. I was sipping all day to get those cal down I feel like I ate a huge meal. Hope I feel better in the AM.

i too was banded on Dec 22nd i have had refried Beans, cream of mushroom Soup, mashed sweet potatoes, scrambled egg, grits and of course my Protein drinks my stomach still growls and i feel hungry all the time what gives?

The problem is many doctors have specific guidelines right after surgery which only allow liquids for so many days, then mushies for so many days after, and then solids. Many doctors adhere to this. In my situation, it took nearly a month before I could eat "normal."

The problem is I see too many people here who can't even go three or four days without shoving chicken tenders or other too-solid food in their gobs right after surgery AGAINST doctor's orders. My thought is, why did some people even get the band if they can't even go a few days without following orders -- and THEN they tell other noobs that it's okay to do it because they did and didn't have problems? That is what is wrong. No noob should be telling other noobs what to do when it contradicts doctor's orders. It can do severe damage.

Now, most of us have bent the food rules here and there - but to coddle you and tell you it's OK, just because we did it IS WRONG! It's not OK! It wasn't OK when we did it - and it's still not OK for you.

Brad

That's the bottom line.

By bent, I had a couple things during the mushies stage that I had to chew. I was supposed to have semi-solids that didn't really require chewing, but by bending the rules I mean I had some Greek yogurt with small -- very small -- chunks of cucumber, or my tuna wasn't pureed in the food processor but was mashed with a fork to as fine as could be. That sort of "cheating" is nowhere along the lines of shoving an entire chicken sandwich in my face and taking four hours to eat it.

I disagree. Just because I'm not happy about having to do this doesn't mean I don't have the willpower to do what I'm supposed to.

I sincerely hope that is the case. Good luck with your band.

Banded 12/25, my doc made me add more calories. I am not losing and am up 4lbs. He said I had gone in to the starvation mode and that was what was going on. FORCED my self to take in 800 cal today feel awful. I was sipping all day to get those cal down I feel like I ate a huge meal. Hope I feel better in the AM.

Please don't forget that 1) you are still probably full of fluids from your IV since the 25th was just a few days ago; and 2) this stage is NOT about weight loss. If you have some, it is simply icing on the cake, so do NOT focus on that.

i am not nor never would tell anyone what to eat or not please read my post again everyone here has chosen a doctor to whom all their questions and answers should be directed. i never suggested that anyone should eat "chicken tenders" i just told what my doc approved and listed it

life is full of choices i choose my doctor and he chooses to be a little more free with the mushy stage.< /p>

i was not asking for approval i was telling what i have eaten. per my doctor these were o.k.

Please try to keep up. I wasn't talking about what you have done, I'm talking about others who go very specifically against doctor's orders and then tell others here who have done the same thing that it's okay because they did it too.

If you followed doctor's orders (and what you had doesn't sound out of line at ALL), then what was said wasn't about you. Now if you had an entire chicken fried steak which was NOT doctor's orders, I wouldn't be sitting here and telling you that was okay. Some here seem to need that and get upset when they don't get it.

i am not nor never would tell anyone what to eat or not please read my post again everyone here has chosen a doctor to whom all their questions and answers should be directed. i never suggested that anyone should eat "chicken tenders" i just told what my doc approved and listed it

life is full of choices i choose my doctor and he chooses to be a little more free with the mushy stage.

Please, scrmom, nobody mentioned you AT ALL. Try and keep up!