Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I left my band in TJ...

Hello all,

Just an update since my cry for help on finding Dr. Ortiz and Dr. Martinez cell numbers (thank you all). I was in such pain, I couldn't focus long enough to find them. I had been having problems with PBing since about May. Thought it was because of job changes/shifts and such so I started getting unfills. They would help for a bit, but then I was back to liquids again.

Last Friday (the 15th) I started PBing and wouldn't quit. Thought it was because I had worked a bunch of OT and my body had caught a stomach flu. By Sunday night, I got a hold of my fill doctor to take all the saline out. I was still miserable. She had me go in for x-rays, but the techs here said the band looked fine (tells you what they know about it). I called Dr. Ortiz on Wednesday. He told me to go get rehydrated and he wanted to see the pictures of the x-rays. I did as he said and when he called me that late afternoon, he told me my band had slipped badly and he wanted me there by Thursday morning. I argued, but he argued back that it was that important. So I got on a plane by myself and got my butt down there. Before noon Thursday, he had started surgery. Apparently my band had slipped enough that it was strangling my stomach. He said it was violet/purple and as soon as he cut the band, my stomach started turning pink again. He said if I had waited until Friday (when somebody could have gone with me), I would have had a perforated stomach. I feel very fortunate to have a doctor that would take time from his vacation to take care of me and let me know how important I am. (Thank God for this man). He said they would still work with me on my weight loss with or without my band and if in 4-6 months (if I'm healed), we can talk about the possibility of rebanding.

Anyway, that is my story. I am determined that just because my band isn't there, that the lessons I've learned while having it those short 7 months will not be forgotten or put by the wayside.

Tough lessons learned, huh?

Darcey I am so sorry about your band slipage. I think that is my worst fear and I am trying to be real careful. I have had my band only 2 and 1/2 weeks. Do you have any ideal what caused the slipage or did it just happen. Did the doctors have any ideals about what might have caused it. Good luck to you and I am glad you got to the hospital in time.

Darcey, I sure hope you are feeling better. Thanks for letting us know. I would say you have a great doctor to help you out. It's so hard to find a good caring doctor anymore. (I love mine also.)

I admire you for keeping up with your new lifestyle. I know it will behard but be strong and it seems that you will have the will power to make it happen. So good luck...

Darcey I am so sorry you lost your band. You have done a great job, and I am sure you will continue to do so. It is great that you have such a caring doctor that will be at your call all the time. Please keep us posted on how you are doing.

Darcey- My heart is so sad that you lost your band. But so happy that your are home & safe & feeling better. My prayer are w/you & a quick recovery!

Oh Darcey, Iam so sorry to hear this.

But at the same time Iam so greatful that you have such a wonderful Dr. in Dr. Ortiz. Amazing he stopped his vacation to come in and help you, no Dr. here in the U.S. would do that, you call them while on vacation and their exchange would just tell you to go to the E.R.

Darcey does he know why the band slipped? Or what may have caused it to slip?

Band or no Band Darcey, I hope you still will come here for support. let us help you through this difficulttime like you have for so many of us here :D

((((BIG HUGS TO YOU))))

Aw Darcey ((((((((((((HUGS)))))))))))) I'm so glad you are okay! You can get that ole band back anytime, thank the Lord! I'm just glad you feel better and didn't perforate your stomach! No more reflux, no more PB's, no more liquids only for days, no more worrying. Thank you Dr Ortiz!! I'm so glad he made you do the right thing. You will heal, you will be better, and you will have the opportunity to give it a shot at maintaining your great weight loss without the band! You can do it! Start saving money though, set it aside just in case you want your band back later! Ya never know!

So happy to hear you are okay! Let us know what he said about why your band slipped...everyone want's to know how to avoid this! :D

Hi Darcy! So thats where youve been?!

B I G (((((hugs))))) to you. You did the absolute right thing at the right time. And Girl, you are so right - you have learned ALL the tricks of banded life - eating small portions is the key!

We are all here if and when you need us. So please dont stop posting - you are just as valuable to us now as ever before!!

God bless~

Oh Darcey! I'm sitting here with tears. I'm sorry you had this happen. At this point I don't give a damn about your band, I'm so worried about you. I am sooo very glad that you were able to catch it in time. Like the very nick of time.

Sending you waves of healing light and warm prayers

darcey: Thank goodness someone listened to you and took care of your emergent needs.

You will do well in the interim before the next band. If you want the next band.

Dr. Ortiz did not say exactly what it was (since he hasn't even seen me since my original band surgery). He said it was probably just being too tight and PBing too much. I believe I tried to rely on the band too much and let it tell me to stop rather than using my own silly brain. Now I've got to use the brain more (it could use the exercise). Thanks everyone for your good wishes.

Darcey, I'm so glad to hear you got help before something really serious happened!! Thank goodness you're all whole and healthy and safe. :D

Darcey, I'm so glad you're o.k. Dr. Ortiz is so caring & talented. It's a good lesson for the rest of us too, if a lot of PB ing contributed to the slippage. So many of us keep a too tight fill in the hopes it will "loosen up" and in the meantime keep PB'ing our brains out.

Please don't think I'm saying youdid that, just that many of us do, myself included-- a few times before I almost closed my stoma & had to have most of my fill removed.

Just take care of yourself & keep healing. Please keep us posted on how you are doing.

Lot of hugs--I can't find that hug smiley, but I'm definately sending them.

Wow, I was just having a really great Sunday evening till I read this. I'm so, so sorry. I know how much you love your doctors and your band. My belly feels sick for you now. I am truly sorry and hope you heal well enough for a new one. I'm looking at my weekend's pictures, and I'm not happy with what I'm seeing. What plan will you follow, because I will try to follow with you in memory of your late band.

Darcey, I'm going to ask, but please don't answer if I'm treading on personal matters, okay?

Just for the record, weren't you one of the really well-behaved bandsters that followed all the rules? The only reason I'm asking is because people often look for someone or something to blame, but these things can happen no matter how careful we are, right? No matter how well you take care of your band, bad things can happen to good people.