Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Calling all Vanguard Bandsters...

How long did it take you to start losing? I mean REALLY losing like all of the others with the smaller band. After 5 months of being banded, I've lost 25lbs and most of that came off in the first 6 weeks. Since then I've really just lost about a 1-2 lbs A MONTH. I've had 4 fills and am up to 6cc. I go back again in a couple of weeks for another fill.

I'm just really getting discouraged because I was hoping for more weightloss by now.

For the record, I am not drinking with or after my meals for an hour. I eat my hard Protein first...but I can still eat alot if I chew, chew, chew. My meals are not lasting for more than 25 minutes.

Confession: I have not been exercising 4-5x a week.

I agree with you, that does seem a little slow. I didnt realize the weightloss depended on the size of band.

Are you getting 80oz's of Water in?

If you had a competitant surgeon he should of matched you up with the correct band at the time of placement. The size is dependant upon the size of your stomach where the band gets placed. All bands take saline to fill them, and the Vanguard band takes more saline volume to have the same size opening formed in the smaller band. However if you got the Vanguard then you probably had a larger stomach and did not require the smaller opening. If you doctor did mis-size the band you can achieve the same results with the Vanguard but it will take more fills and unfortunately --more time. With you at 6cc you should be at a pretty small opening in the band- as many of the Vanguarders top out in the 6-8 cc range. The good news is that you should- at your next fill start to get really great restriction-- or you had better start looking to make sure that your band is not loosing its Fluid thru a leak. Also be sure to confirm with your doc the cc you are at as maybe you have mistaken the amount you are truly at or maybe the doctor will then doublecheck the fill amounts himself with a saline removal at the time of your next fill. This will confirm how much saline you ultimately have in your band and will also be the first step in seeing if your band is leaking. Chances are it is not but it is also good to stay on top of the doc to ensure good service.

T

I also have the vangard band and have lost 45 pounds since March 15th. Since being banded I have abandoned all breads, all rice all Pasta and sodas. For me not being able to eat these things has caused me to loose more weight than limiting the amount of food I can eat. Some days I can eat way more that a cupful other days just a cupful. Currently I am filled to 6.5cc and I feel like I am perfectly restricted.

As a followup- I have the Vanguard and am at 2.5cc and I feel a good level of restriction, but then again I am very sensitive to any changes in my body. For example I can tell when my doc is injecting the saline for the fills. I can actually feel the band closing in more with the fill. He will have me stuck and then I tell him the exact second he starts injection without looking--he always seems a little surprised when I do that.

T

I hear you! I got my 8th fill on Thursday taking me up to 8.9ml in the vanguard. I am feeling some pretty good restriction now. I really didnt notice a difference in restriction till I had 7ml in. In Australia most surgeons are putting the VG band in regardless of stomach size etc, most dont even uset he smaller bands at all anymore. My Dr gave me a reason when I asked him although I have forgotton so i will ask at the next visit and let you know.

I wouldnt worry to much if I was you, just keep getting fills and follow the bandster rules and restriction will come. Just remember with the bigger band MOST of us will need alot more fills and time till we get good restriction.

Good Luck

I have a Vanguard band and I have had 5 fills now and this one really seems to be doing it's job! :D I did have restriction after 3 and 4 but they didn't have the umph this one does. I had restriction for about couple of weeks and then nothing. My losing weight was from dieting and a little help from the band. and I mean little help. I think my surgeon was beeing stingie with my fills before but I told him to stop being stingie and FILL 'ER UP!! I think he did!!!!

Hang in there and get your next fill. Everything will work out and the weight will start coming off real soon.

((((HUGS))))

I have the vanguard band also and i didn't really feel any restriction until last friday when I went up to 6ml, which is the same as you at present, I still reckon I could go up another half a ml. My surgeon said the majority of his paitents are between 5 & 6.5mls, although he says his highest is sitting on 9ml. Everyone is different. I have had to abandon all bread with this fill as it just causes to much pain, and in the last week I have lost 2.5kg or around 6lbs, it's amazing what one ml of liquid can achieve. I think I will give this fill another few weeks and see how I go, then perhaps request another?? Dunno? All I can say is 25lbs is a lot of weight and the more slowly you lose it, the better it is, allowing your skin and body to adapt. Apparently we should only be aiming at losing 1-2lbs a week maximum. Hang in there buddy, you'll soon get there. Keep smiling.

Tina

I also have the vangard band and have lost 45 pounds since March 15th. Since being banded I have abandoned all breads, all rice all Pasta and sodas. For me not being able to eat these things has caused me to loose more weight than limiting the amount of food I can eat. Some days I can eat way more that a cupful other days just a cupful. Currently I am filled to 6.5cc and I feel like I am perfectly restricted.

Hi Madeline, I have a vanguard 11cc band and I am also filled to 6.5. I do feel very restricted on some days and others not at all, go figure.

I lived in Memphis for 16 years and loved it! I feel that is my home and miss it terrribly. I know it has changed a lot there though. I also of course know where Southaven is, kinda like being on the outside looking in huh? Yeah Memphis:clap2:

I have the VG and I didn't feel a thing until I got to 10 cc's. This doesn't concern me or my surgeon -- he says he'll fill until I don't need a fill any more, whether that's 11 cc's or 15 cc's.

I LOVE my VG. I think it's a better band in the long run (my personal opinion only, of course). I seem to be able to eat more textures than many of those with the smaller band and the "pillow design" of the VG gives me comfort that I may be at less risk for both slippage and erosion.

I think the hold up in your weight loss is your fill doctor. Force him to be aggressive! I went it for my first fill and they took me to 6.0. A week later, when I felt no restriction, I went back and they took me to 7.6. A week after that, I still felt almost nothing, so I went back and they had me drink Water while they were filling me until the Water wouldn't go down, then they backed some out. That's how I got to 10.0. I've been at 10.0 since June 3rd and have lost about 90 lbs on this fill with none of the problems I read about (knock on wood), so I'm a fan.

Get a fill if you can. You won't believe the difference once you have real restriction. I know how frustrating it is until you get there, but you will get there!

My surgeon also ONLY uses the VG band, regardless of stomach size. That being said, my first fill was almost 2 weeks ago with 5.5 cc's and I feel like I have really good restriction so far. Although I do seem to be more opened up later in the evening, but I shouldn't be eating at that time anyway. Good luck to you!

I'm at 5cc in my VG and fee pretty good restriction. I had 5.5 and had to have .5 removed because I couldn't keep anything down. I was banded March 7th, so I'm not as quick of a loser as many, but I'm happy with every pound.

I've got a VG too. I feel there are some advantages to having this band. But yes, it took me to about 6.5 cc's to feel restricted. I could probably handle a little more but as long as I can lose weight without being too tight then all the better. I had my very first PB not too long ago and I don't want to be so tight that I repeat that experience ever again!!

I also have a whopper VG band, have it done in Romania on NOV13th.

It has been 5 weeks, and I lost only 18 pounds the first week. Later my weight loss stopped, in the last 4 weeks I didnt lose any pound, eventhough my calori intake is below 1500 on the average.

kbattal

Current weight 106 kg.