Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Acid Reflux is gone now that I am preggo!

Well to start let me give you a little history. My first pregnancy 2years ago I had acid reflux really bad. I got banded 7months after my DH was born and Did fine with no acid reflux up until my second fill (6months after banding). 2nd fill was too tight and had to go back down to 1.2cc in my 4cc band which was my origial fill. Acid reflux was still present but I didn't want it completely unfilled (I mean I paid outta pocket for this thing and I was a slow looser so I was going to stick it out if you know what I mean-no pain no gain or loss that is!) So I was put on protonix which curbed the throat pain but didn't get rid of the acid reflux all together. My fill doc and I decided that I am just super sinsitive to getting fills. So, We now know that I cannot have any substantial fill put in at one time rather I will have to have small amounts at a time put in until I reach optimum fill level. Which is just freaking great cuz I gotta pay outta pocket for each fill!!!

Then outta nowhere boom I am pregnant exactly 1year after my banding! AAAHHHH, I was on birth control for goodness sakes. It was totally unexpected!! I am not ready for another one yet!!

Anyways starting at 4weeks I was puking my guts up and finally starting the 8th week went into the hospital for dehydration and stayed 4days. Since, I haven't thrown up and miraculously I haven't had any reflux!! Oh man its the best feeling to not dread going to bed at night!!! I don't even have to sleep on a stupid wedge anymore. I totally hope the reflux doesn't come back when I get bigger!

UGgghh, I dread getting bigger. I gained 60lbs my first pregnancy and my goal for this pregnancy is to only gain 15lbs. Wish me luck. I am 12 weeks now and have not gained any weight yet, even with a completely unfilled band! Yea!!

My acid reflux went away after pregnancy as well because I had a partial unfill. I have been sleeping easily and deeply (thank goodness because I have been extra tired lately). I am at 13 weeks and I haven't gained either. I guess we have something in common :0).

I am with you on that 15 pounds. I would really like to keep it under 25 but 15 would be even better.

My chronic reflux went away when I lost about 80lbs from the band.. then it came back at about 16 weeks pregnant, and week 19 was horrible, the kind that made me wake up burping and burning every 30 minutes in my sleep. It's calmed down a little bit, I wish I could take Prilosec during pregnancy, it's the only med that ever worked for me.

Fairy, did you ask you doctor about taking the prilosec? I was on protonix and the doc said that it was a catagory B drug and ok to take during pregnancy. Since prilosec is an anti acid just like protonix I would think that it would be ok. My doc made a comment that anti acids are usually safe, and that is what they give infants with GERD. If you are really suffering ask your doc. If you are not able to take prilosec she might be able to give you something that would help. Just a side note, if she gives you protonix (which is now available in generic) it takes a couple of weeks to start working (just like an anti depressant) Before I was put on protonix, I got a wedge to sleep on because I was choking on stomach acid that was comming up during the night. It was so bad I'd have to get up and throw up to get some relief. I hope they can help you! I know what it is like, and I know it is not fun at all!!!

Prilosec is a class C I believe, and says not to use during pregnancy..

My doc gave me a list of meds I can take for heartburn, tums and zantac.. which don't work for me.

It comes and goes, so it's not as bad as when I use to have it horribly and needed prilosec, it's just the days it does hit me, would be nice to pop a prilosec..

Poor thing, I'm so sorry! I know what you are going thru and it really sucks!! I hope it gets better for you! Having a baby is so wonderful but going thru pregnancy is just the pits. My first pregnancy wasn't so bad but this pregnancy has been awful from the beginning!! I think it is because I have a little one to take care of, so I can't rest when I want to and I can nap when I feel crappy. So no instead of sleeping durring the crappy part I am forced in a sense to focus on how tired I am or how bad I feel. And when I get stressed I can't have a couple of drinks to relax- WHICH REALLY SUCKS!! LOL! But the out come of our pain and struggle is the most beautiful thing in the world and you will see that you will be willing to go thru it all over again in a heartbeat! MAYBE!!! LOL!!