Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

2 weeks post-op: Ache in stomach & hiccups

Howdy everyone -- a question for the group.

Was banded 2 weeks ago tomorrow -- everything went well. Feel great. Incisions healing nicely and get to start mushies tonight -- can anyone say mashed potatoes and soft baked fish!

One minor concern.

Right after being banded whenever I would hiccup or burb it would really hurt in my stomach, inside. Like it was a sharp jab. Trouble is -- it's still doing this and sometimes there is a just a vague general ache in my stomach.

I have had zero problems eating. Everything goes down. I have not deviated from the diet even once since starting my pre-op diet. My friend (who was banded 6 months ago) asked if I thought it was my port b/c she said her's ached for a little bit. But I'm pretty sure it's not that.

Part of me thinks -- 2 weeks out of surgery is not that long. My bandages just came off a few days ago. I don't have a fever. I'm not vomiting. It's just more than sore it's internally achey.

I'm probably going to call the doc tomorrow -- but I just wanted to throw it out to the group.

Wow! We got banded the same day! I too having been having pain when burping. I talked to my nurse and she said that lots of people have the same problem. She said some people have to practically relearn how to burp. I assume the ache is gas, but I couldn't say for sure.

I've been having kind of a sharp, jabbing pain about 3 inches to the right of my navel. I notice it mostly when I'm digesting food in that area. I called my Dr today, but still no call back yet.

Good luck!

Heather

Hi, I was also banded the 19th. I get a side ache on my left side after I eat. Have not called yet about it. Have either of you lost any weight yet? Seems I can still eat like I did before surgery. Wondering if this surgery was a good idea. Any of you have doubts?

I had Surgery yesterday-I am still nervous if it was the right choice! I am very sore. I still am having that gas pain-I know it is common in the first few day. I had a couple little burps that were very painful also. I Know now what I have to look forward to in the next few weeks LOL-M

Edited by Joypacificalove
spelling error

I can't speak for the burping, but the hiccup(s) is a spasm of the diaphragm (sp?). Why is that relavant? Well I had my first post-op appt. with my surgeon today, and he mentioned that the band sits very near the diaphragm and can irritate it. That is why you can also have a side ache like WannaBSkinny mentioned (and like I have been having).

All of these symptoms mentioned in this thread are all pretty normal and should ease with time. My shoulder finally stopped hurting and I don't recall having any hiccup(s) in the last day or two.

We are all learning as we go, and am glad that this forum is here to share all of this info!!:smile2:

Randy

You've said it yourself, you HAVE just had surgery 2 weeks ago, a bit of discomfort, aches and pains is to be expected.

As long as you're not in real pain. If you've stuck to the diet and done what you should, you will be fine. I had a lot of stomach aches - a really weird one that HURT really badly and would ache right up my esophagus and into the roof of my mouth, even my cheeks ached. It was quite painful and did worry me, and over the six months following, it would sometimes strike out of the blue. Now I get it if I eat ice cream or really cold yogurt, I tend to take things like yogurt or strawberries out of the fridge half an hour before I want to eat them. Not fond of very cold things.

I also got lots of stitch like pains which I also got following each baby I had, I think the trauma to the middle, and the inability to rely on core muscles for a week or two would cause that. And hiccups, any stuck episode will give me violent hiccups now.

Thanks everyone -- I guess in my mind I had gotten myself thinking INFECTION! It's so hard not to go to one of the big time problems that sometimes happen to people.

I have to remember -- 2 weeks out. When I had 2 teeth pulled - 2 weeks out my gum was still so raw. This guy had a knife cutting through my interior fat! :smile2:

It's just I feel good and I'm back to normal in the regular part of my life ...

Thanks everyone.