Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Kaiser Richmond Pre-op

I won't be at the Point West meeting on the 27th as I am heading to LA in the rv that morning and then on to Phoenix. I will have my laptop with me so I will stay in touch.

Chrissy - please read the good things about the band too - the people who have had problems with their bands and needed revisions are a very tiny number compared to those who have not had any problems and there have been more bands done than sleeves at this point. Not trying to dissuade you from getting the sleeve - it is a personal choice - but it is not foolproof either.

Has anyone talked to a person who has a sleeve that is a year out from surgery? Does it still have the same effects further out? I am not looking to revise, just curious.

Hi Tamara!

Laurel – Yes next Saturday is PW mtg. Hope to see you then. Let us know how things go tomorrow! You’ll do fine, great staff.

Pam – The particular Sleeve procedure that Kaiser performs in new (Summer 2009). I’ve only spoken to one person who had the new procedure done by Kaiser last August. She is very happy. There are many people who had the Sleeve done outside Kaiser that are happy, many band revisions. The difference in old and new Sleeve procedures is the old one cuts your stomach down in size and wraps a mesh type (sleeve) material around the stomach to seal it.

This procedure had some complications and Kaiser Doctors have fixed many patients that had the procedure done outside Kaiser. The new procedure that Lee & I had uses three rows of very small titanium staples to seal the stomach. Like the band the old Sleeve had complications with your body rejecting it and erosion into the stomach. The new Sleeve procedure doesn’t have much history and for that reason is a little risky. But I will say my doctor believes it will become the surgery of choice, it will have excellent weight loss results and it will not have the headaches of maintenance that can come with the band.

Have fun RV’ing!!! I have a travel trailer and enjoy getting out an hour or two around SAC camping. I’m going to Rancho Seco in a couple weeks. It’s only $15 a night and is a very nice small RV park. Maybe we should all plan a camping trip this summer!!!!

I hope everyone is a having a great Sunday!!

Pammie, I know a lot of people online that have had their Sleeve for 1+ years and they are still just as happy with it. I saw a woman yesterday at support group that is 18 months out and 1/2 her initial weight. She become an athlete. It looks like she's a 6 or 8 and very athletic for a 53 year old. There seems to be little regaining. Many are losing 100+ pound in less than 6 months. One of my revision friends lost 133 in 6 months once she switched to Band. I see some who struggle a little bit with maintaining and have to add in more carbs to keep from losing too much. I really haven't seen people who were not pleased with the Sleeve. It's an initial adjustment just as the Band or RNY are. I'm very lucky that I had 0 complications and went back to work on Day 7. I'm a month out now and walked over an hour this morning and swam over an hour on Friday. Energy is pretty good. I'm able to teach classes that are 8 hours of standing up on back to back days. I just need to get more sleep than I did pre-op to re-energize myself. I know that the Band can be equally as successful, I'm just being devil's advocate with the other side of the surgery coin. :laugh:

Hey John, Dr. Baggs told me that he would be using the mesh buttressing on me. I wonder if he changed that between my first visit with him in December and surgery in February?

Nicolie, sad you are moving from us but happy for you that you will be with your hubby!

John, congrats on your 20lbs!!!

Chrissy, Welcome!!! I too am going for the sleeve if and when I can get these 4-5 lbs off!!!

Lee, Thanks for the info on the protine mix. We need to meet soon!!!!

TamTam, lol @ "mom living with me = babysitter" My dad moved in like 5 months ago and that is his rent to watch the kids!!!!!! lol :smile:

Laurel, Good Luck!!!!! I will be thinking about you till you post so keep us informed!

Sorry I missed you all on Saturday! I couldn't get a sitter (AKA my dad) to watch my babies :laugh: I was sooo bumed I almost cried! But it sounds like you all had so much fun! I need to get my but in gear and host a get-to-gether soon!

PS I finally added a ticker :laugh:

Thanks for sleeve info John and Belle. I wasn't saying people shouldn't have the sleeve, but a comment was made that implied the band has more complications and doesn't work as well as the sleeve. I felt a comment was made trying to dissuade a person from considering the band. I am sure there are people out there who have been sleeved who have had problems and who haven't lost the weight they thought they would - those that have lost their weight with both the band and sleeve tend to be more vocal than those that are struggling. Yes, I know people who have had RNY and lost tons of weight and kept it off and also people who have lost tons of weight and gained most if not all of it back. Same with the band. It is probably too soon to tell with the sleeve - there aren't statistics for 3-5 years out.

Hi everyone!

Okay so I did a big no-no. I ate 2 soft pretzels and for the past 2 hours I have had sharp pains under my left boob; it hurys soo bad, I have tried gas x strips, Water, etc. OMG i just wish it would go away!!!!!!!!

Guest sodapop

Thank you to all for all the good tips on the BAND and SLEEVING!! I have learned so much from all of you. I think everything works-just to each is own! I am going for the sleeve, there is little info on it because it is a newer procedure but hey being heavy is a BIG risk for me because I have MANY underlying health conditions. I have ASTHMA and I have smoked since I was 15. (yes dummy me) I would get CHRONIC sinus infections and bronchitus 6-8 times a year! I talked with my family about it and the way I am so unhealthy at this point I would either die young or die from being obese and all that go along with it. I am HAPPY TO SAY I QUIT SMOKING 3 weeks ago! And thanks to Nicole, she made me realize weight loss surgery WAS an option for me. The last straw for me was my last bout of sickness, My son actually telling me he "wants me to be normal" cause it's not good for me. Leave it to a 9 year old who is my life to change my life!! I am so excited to meet all of you and thank you ALL for all of your input good things and bad things. I want to know everything so i can make the best decision for ME!!!! xoxox CHRISSY :laugh:

Chrissy - what really helped me during my process was to talk to as many people (online included) and ask them why they chose the particular weight loss surgery they did. I asked at the Richmond support meeting, I asked on here, I contacted some people that I knew had both types of surgery (Band and RNY) and talked to them in person. Hearing their reasons helped me to sort through what I was considering as a pro and con to each type of surgery and I was able to make my decision.

I think none of these surgeries are a quick fix or a guarantee - losing weight is still a long process and takes work. Donna always says "they don't operate on your brain" so any underlying issues for overeating are still going to be there and need to be dealt with. All the surgerys have ways that you can sabotage yourself if you eat the wrong things (high cal foods, lots of snacking, etc.) My thinking about this is the surgery is the tool that can help you lose and, most of all, maintain your weight. But only if you eat the way you are suppose to. There are statistics for both the Band and RNY with failure rates - the band is 35% - many of us on this board are trying hard to avoid being in the 35% by trying to follow the program and get support.

Keep reading and asking questions and you will come to the right answer for you.

Chrissy, Pat and Donna are right. They operate on our stomach and not on our brain. Long term success starts in our brain and ends in our brain. Our stomach's can't walk to the ice cream shop alone. It's what we do with our tool that counts.

Getting the tool is just that, a tool. I count every calorie, fat and Protein and make sure to keep my carbs pretty well under 20 a day. I track it all in Myfitnesspal.com . Early Sleeve from what I've learned is being on a very low carb diet, but that said, it's so much easier because with my Sleeve, 1/3 cup of dense protein will keep me full for 4-5 hours. I notice with shrimp that I get hungry a little sooner. Of course 3 big shrimp are a meal. I'm loving the savings at Whole Foods!

Hi everyone - here are the pictures that I took from our get together.

post-272068-1381313919249_thumb.jpg

post-272068-13813139192782_thumb.jpg

post-272068-13813139193063_thumb.jpg

post-272068-13813139193351_thumb.jpg

post-272068-13813139193628_thumb.jpg

Donna - here are picture for you of our St. Patricks dinner table - you should have stayed - we had so much fun. Waking Ned Devine is such a fun movie. And I have a ton of corned beef and cabbage left!

post-272068-13813139193903_thumb.jpg

post-272068-13813139194211_thumb.jpg

Hi everyone!

Okay so I did a big no-no. I ate 2 soft pretzels and for the past 2 hours I have had sharp pains under my left boob; it hurys soo bad, I have tried gas x strips, Water, etc. OMG i just wish it would go away!!!!!!!!

Tam - so sorry you are stuck. I guess it really is true that soft bread doesn't work. Riley told me when it happens to her that she walks, jumps up and down to try to get it to move. I ate some Irish soda bread that my sister-in-law made for our St Patty's day dinner and didn't have trouble, but it is not real soft (except for the slider stuff I put on it - Riley's dear friend butter and some raspberr jam LOL.)

Hope it passes soon.

I love the picture of the 3 of us - the triplet SOSs!

Guest sodapop

HEY GUYS!? Anyone know of a BRAIN surgery that could get that "FAT GIRL" "BAD EATING" mentality that I have? If so I am TOTALLY GETTING THAT ONE!!! LOL!!! hee hee teee hee.:laugh:

Donna talked about that one over the lunch. LOL!! Lets get on the "BAND-SLEEVE WAGON" and all get a brain surgery to correct that....(if only it was a perfect world)

Pat and the rest of the gang-YOU ARE ALL PROOF the BAND is a GREAT TOOL!! You ladies are all so amazing and inspiring. Like I said with whatever I end up choosing with awesome people like you I will have a "happy ending too!":tongue2: