Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Kaiser Richmond Pre-op

Mo! I'm so sorry to read about your hand. I hope your pain is lessening.

John, Happy 6 month anniversary! We've had a great 6 month ride, dontcha think? :lol: I'm still aiming to be 175 when I see Dr. Baggs on September 2nd. Don't know if I'll make it but these 2 hours of exercise daily are giving me great muscles regardless. This morning I saw my low of 182 so I'm pretty happy with that. How are you doing?

Congrats Lee & John, you guys are doing great!

Hi Everyone!!!!

Mo - Sorry about your hand! I hope you get better soon!

Ali – Thanks! How are you doing?

Lee – I’m great. Not really losing the last couple weeks. My B-12 was low at my last checkup so we shall see in the next couple weeks when I have my next one. I started using the B-12 from Trader Joes that you recommended. They dissolve much better so hopefully that will bring my B-12 levels up. How are you? Your exercise is awesome! I wish I had your drive!

Few more pounds to Onederland hopefully by the end of September.

How is everyone?????????

Hi Everyone!!!!

Mo - Sorry about your hand! I hope you get better soon!

Ali – Thanks! How are you doing?

Lee – I’m great. Not really losing the last couple weeks. My B-12 was low at my last checkup so we shall see in the next couple weeks when I have my next one. I started using the B-12 from Trader Joes that you recommended. They dissolve much better so hopefully that will bring my B-12 levels up. How are you? Your exercise is awesome! I wish I had your drive!

Few more pounds to Onederland hopefully by the end of September.

How is everyone?????????

Thanks John for asking. I am doing good. Like you my loss has slowed the last couple weeks but I think I was getting a little lax on my foods so I refocused myself and am trying to kick up my walking minutes. I am down 80 pds since starting this journey at the end of January so I am extremely happy and feel absolutely wonderful. My B12 was low also, I do struggle trying to remember to take all the Vitamins so I am doing much better at it this past week. I think I was feeling so good I thought I didn't need it but I know that is the wrong attitude to so now I have them at home and at work so if I forget I have them at least at my desk so I can take them. I had my 3 month labs done and they called and told me about the B12 but my 3-month apt is by phone at the end of this month...what will Robin ask me? I really don't have any issues with anything so it should be a short phone call except where she reminds me to take my vitamins!. :(

Hi Ali - I haven't heard from Robin since the second to last food stage. My three and six month checkups are with my Doc on the phone. I have been taking the B-12 but it was still low so I have switched brands and doubled up so we shall see. Going in for the labs next week... 80 pounds is awesome!! Glad you are well!

What does the B12 do for you??? Meaning why do we need it? My levels have never been low, so im not that smart w hen it comes to Vitamins etc. I forget to take my multi all the time..

Is vitamins a huge requirement for sleeve? Like RNY?

Hi Nicole – B-12 is an added requirement for Sleeve patients. I was told they have found Sleeve patients low on B-12. B-12 is normally taken sublingually (under tongue) but sometimes has to be administered by needle if the patient doesn’t absorb it properly sublingually.

The rest of the Vitamins are the same as Band. Sleeve patients absorb stuff in the stomach just like Band patients. RNY’s can have malabsorption problems since the stomach is bypassed.

Edited by skiingj

Oh okay! I dont do well when it comes to vitamins:) Its like my number one rule breaker, i think in the yr and half i've been banded i've gone thru 1 bottle of Vitamins. :(

So any of you year out banders, anyone find a fill center? That is under 150 to get a fill? I think im ready for one.. ive gone so long with no fluid.. im ready to get back ontrack.

My mom and i are dieting together and my bf took the scale! OMG.. i never realized how addicted to the scale i am!!! I am fine right now, but in the am ill be missin it again.:frown:

Anyone else have a scale addiction?

Hi everyone! Just checking in to say that I am soooooooo adicted to the scale as well. lol. This AM I am down though so it doesn't hurt.. 182.5 now :smile2: Any who I too need to get back on my Vitamin track lol I always forget. But Kaiser Fremont actually WANTS us to take a daily Protein Shake for life n my Dr. said as long as i am doing that then I can sometimes "forget" my Vitamins, just not always like lately lol!

My B-12 was low at my 6 wk post op check up so I took the sublingual B 12 - two bottles worth and then I stopped. They never did any bloodwork on me other than the 6wk post op appointment so I don't know if it was low after that. I had extensive bloodwork a couple of weeks ago and everything was normal. I had to stop my Multivitamin and Calcium chew while eating only Optifast products so I didn't overdose on Vitamins, but now that I am back on food I am going to start them again.

Hey strangers.........

I am thinking more sleeve. Why is this so hard??

Did you all have such an issue deciding what was right for you?

Hi Cole, I started this with the band as my focus and not even thinking about anything else, mostly because the only other option was the RNY and I knew I didn't want that; after a few weeks I opened up my mind to the sleeve and the decision was hard but I did end up switching to sleeve.

Most on the board are banders I think due to the same, when they started the sleeve was not even offered. It only started being offered by Kaiser late last year.

Good luck with your decision.

Have you seen the doctor yet?

Ya I saw Dr. Baggs and he suggested the sleeve. Said I would be more successful with the sleeve and could lose more weight if I went that route.

Whoever said the thing about the insurance not covering the band if and having issues with getting it handled if need be once insurance was lost really hit hard. I mean I totally changed my focus...I think we are all in fear of losing our jobs at this rate and what would happen if I got the band and lost my job...I would be screwed.

I just wish there was more research on the sleeve...long term. But it seems like the worst that can happen is it will strectch back out if I eat too much. I am not worried like I was about malabsorption like I was before. Just don't want my daughter to ever have to take care of me...but if I don't lose the weight she will anyway. Thinking the sleeve maybe a better option for me.

I love reading what everyone has to say...it is soooo helpful.

BeCca - The Sleeve is a great choice. Like many others on here I picked the Band. I didn't get the Sleeve choice in the beginning but after my two failures was offered it a few months before they opened it up at orientation... I think ultimately it’s a better choice for me and I’m very very happy. Five more pounds to Onederland!

I wouldn’t let the insurance issue totally scare you as I have a different experience with Kaiser and what was almost the loss of my insurance. I don’t want to get into that here but the short of what I know is labs and fills would be lost but there would be some aftercare. I recommend discussing this with your doctor. I do agree that the Sleeve would make it easier if you lost insurance as it’s almost maintenance free….

Best of luck! The Sleeve will do you well!

Edited by skiingj
Wording......