Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Kaiser Richmond Pre-op

Just dropping by to say Hi!

Lee- I wont be able to come this Sat. because I have both my boys since their dad is working :) But keep me posted on the next meeting @ CoCo's !

I was suppose to get a fill tomorrow but cancelled after PB'ing twice yesterday. But turns out maybe I do need a fill after talking to Robin this afternoon. Of course I had already cancelled.........

But the goal is to only eat 1/4 a cup and to be able to last for 4-6 hours. I am eating a 1/2 cup at least and going 3-4 hours before getting hungry. And I haven't lost anything for three weeks and that is another sign I need a fill I guess.

The PB's could be because of not chewing my food enough and not an indication I don't need a fill.

I was told not to err on the side of being to cautious and to afraid of being tight and that I probably should have gone for a fill this month.

Who knew?? Maybe I should have just gone but this week at work is so crazy and I am so behind I feel relieved not to have to take 1/2 day off to make the trip.

So Tamra...........LOL. You might want to rethink not getting a fill this month!!

After measuring my food today I realize that I can eat a cup of food. Not more than 1/2 cup of protiens. But apparent your at your sweet spot when you can only eat 1/4 of protien and feel full. The PB's aren't a sign you don't need a fill...........it is more fullness vs. hungry.

Kaiser did admit however that my band journey has been rather bumpy and now I am probably being over cautious with my fills and trying to hard to do it on my own when a fill would help.

I had to wait almost 6 weeks after orientation to get a call for my surgeon appointment. And that was a cancellation..............so I got lucky. They were totally backlogged when I was referred to them and I was told the wait was up to six months for surgery.

Luckily I only had to lose 12 pounds (I lost 25 ) and was able to have surgery in four months.

I could have had surgery in 3 months but I went to Africa for a month and put my surgery off for that.

But this quick apppointments after orienation is a huge plus and a blessing. This sounds like a positive to me!!

Hi everyone, sounds like everyone is doing great! I think there are some birthday's in the house---Happy Birthday to all you July babies!

Hi All,

Glad to see we are all on track and in route somewhere!!!

Lee, unfortunately....I am unable to do the pool party because I have my two little ones. My youngest is to much to bring to the pool....Let alone to someone's house for the first time meeting them...Lol. Surely, we'd get kicked out.... LMBO. I will try to make the next restaurant outing...alone

Donna-Thanks for the words of encouragement...Yes, I am so jealous....Don't tell Ashley...SHHHHHhhhhh. J/K.... I'm happy for all.

Hope all are well and enjoying/hating the heat....try to keep cool and stay hydrated...

Hey Hey Hey.....How y'all doin? hehehe

OMG I am way behind. I'm not even going to bother to try and catch up. You know what they say, get in where you fit in so here I be.

How's everyone? Let me tell you I've been on like 2 vacations and 1 trip for work...very busy. And we just had a big family reunion. Needless to say I'm trying to get back on track eating right and exercising. All in all my weight is about the same so no real damage. Just ready to start loosing again. Haven't had a fill since April and I can eat a horse, cow and a pig.

Any walking get-to-gathers planned? lemme know, I miss you guys. :sad:

Hi Jess!!! Good to hear from ya. I know... so much has been going on. I can't keep up either. Many people are planning to go to the Kaiser West Point support meeting next Sat, July 24th and lunch at Mimi's afterwards. I am planning to go...God willing. Me too on the eating...I did get a fill June 18th and have real good restriction...I just can't seem to eat the right combo to assist with the weightloss....I have to do better too. TTYL....

Hi Everyone,

just wanted to check in. I can't say my recovery has been smooth. I am not having stomach spasams anymore, but my problem is I can barely eat or drink anything.

I feel full after about 1/8 cup or less of anything, and the full feeling lasts for 3-4 hours making it hard to drink. I feel weak and tired all the time. I have been out of the house a few times and get tired so fast

I actually hesitate to eat because I know how bad I will feel after.

I am begining to wonder if I will ever be able to eat somewhat normal again

I am 3 1/2 weeks post op, and looking for any words of encouragement, or anyone who has had similar problems and made it past them.

Thanks for listening

Sherri

Edited by disp4so
spelling

Sherri – It should get better but it does take a couple months at least. In a couple weeks you should be able to eat a little more. You will never eat normally again as you fill up quickly and drinking is a challenge as you have to wait an hour after eating. I still have trouble getting all my fluids in as I work in an electronic environment that is difficult to have drinks around. In our server and operations area drinks are forbidden and I spend a considerable amount of time in these areas. At your stage my stomach felt very strange and did somersaults even with the smallest bit or sip. Now it takes three to four bits to feel the Sleeves restriction. That high pressure sensation in your stomach has subsided for me considerably since your stage.

I’m now able to eat 3/4 of a cup usually with no issues. Some food/spices go down better than others so it is still a learning lesson five months out. Email you doctor if you continue to have problems. It will get better!

Happy Friday everyone! Off camping in the mountains…….

John, tomorrow is our five month surgiversary. Congratulations! I love that we had back to back surgeries and can track our success together.

Sherri, the most important thing for you to do right now is get in your fluids. Don't worry about anything else. Eat no sugar added popcicles, find a Sobe Lifewater 0 calorie that you like. Do anything to get in those fluids.

It really gets easier with time. I had a smoother recovery and was drinking 64 oz by day 5, but others have difficulty drinking. If it doesn't get better, contact Kaiser because you should be able to get in your fluids. Are you walking? The saying goes sip, walk, sip, walk. If I'm feeling full, and it can be from fluids, walking around helps. Are you getting in your 30 minutes of walking daily? It can be in 10 minutes increments, or whatever. I'm a slow loser and I have to admit that I thought that working 9 hours a day gave me an excuse slip. In month three I started doing 60 minutes a day of exercise and it really picked up the weight loss.

Sip, walk, sip, walk, sip, walk... and call Kaiser if it doesn't start getting better by Monday.

I was in France last month and ate everything as a normal, thin woman. There was nothing I stayed away from except booze but I just ate small portions. Now that I've been home, I'm back on a stricter diet. I promise that it does get better and soon people won't even know that you had surgery, they'll just think you eat normally and don't snack.< /p>

Tomorrow is five big months since surgery. So many changes.

I started in a 22/24 pant, 2x or 3x top.

Today-16's are loose, tops are L and getting too big.

Was 42-36-50, today 37-33-41

Dr. Oz says that a woman's waist should be under 32 for health so I'm only an inch away. He says that at my age the normal BMI is 25-30 so at 31.8 I'm getting closer.

Dr. Baggs challenged me to be "overweight - BMI 29.9" at my 6 month checkup which was 25 pounds from my 3 month checkup. Month 4 was a bomb with only losing 3 pounds. Month 5 has been better with close to 9 pounds. Now I have to really rock month 6 as I still have 12 pounds to shed.

I've been exercising 60-90 minutes a day. A normal day is to walk 3.5 miles around the lake. Treadmill 20-30 minutes. Walk 30 minutes at lunchtime. That generally clocks me around 7 miles for the day on my pedometer. Then I do 100 crunches and weight machines in my gym. I also try to swim at least once a week to use different muscles.

I've hired my son (who has been a professional soccer player in Bolivia and Muay Thai boxer in Thailand) to get me to my goal at six months. I have a feeling my workouts are about to get much tougher. I'm seeing a strong body emerge from these layers of fat. I like what I'm seeing and I love how strong I'm starting to feel.

At one of the early Kaiser support meetings, someone said, you're going to have to replace all that "food time" with something else. She mentioned shopping, crafts, exercise and that day I prayed the exercise would become my new big hobby. So maybe it's actually happening. I still need a lot of encouragement (my son) so I'm lucky that he's staying until the middle of August when he has to go back to NY.

What are you doing to challenge yourselves?

Have a great weekend everyone!

Hi Lee! Yes happy Sleeversary!!! My weight loss has slowed down, haven't lost anything in the past two weeks. I've been snacking a little but overall I think I'm doing very good.

Sheri, I might have asked you this before so sorry if its a repeat, did your doctor send you home with carafate? It's a liquid medicine that helps the stomach with irritations. If you don't have that you should email your doctor and explain the feelings that your having and see if they perscrbe any. Even though those episodes are somewhat normal the carafate will help it from getting to spaztic.

I rarely had any spazams so I am not much help but seems like you are having more irritants following the sleeve than what I have seem posted in this forum anyway.

I am feeling great and I am 2 1/2 mo post op so it won't last long and you will be so happy when your tummy doesn't let you eat to much and the weight loss is fantastic!

Yesterday was 5 months since surgery. For anyone that thinks the Sleeve is easier, maybe it is, but then again, maybe it isn't. I've been on a big diet everyday since surgery. Think Atkins and you've got it, but I do add some veggies and a little fruit at this point. I track every bite of food and all exercise in Myfitnesspal. com

Yesterday's exercise was:

90 minute walk outdoors

20 minutes recumbent bike, weight machines, 100 crunches and stretching

60 minutes pool time working on my arms and legs

I ate 650 calories and burned 800. This morning was rewarded with 4 ounce drop on the scale after staying the same for several days. I fight for every ounce that comes off. Protein first always, hydrated always, Vitamins always.

There's no magic bullet, even with the surgery. Two months I shed only 3 pounds each month. The first time I wasn't exercising as much. The second time I was exercising 60 minutes a day. I don't want to have that happen again, so now I exercise 90-120 minutes daily and shed a little faster. I am trying hard to keep this up as everyone says that the first 6 months are the best time to lose the weight. I'd say I don't care how long it takes, but that would be a bit of a fib. I want to get there ASAP in these early months post-op.

Top weight - 249

2/17/2010 - 229

3/17/2010 - 210 - measurements 42-36-50

4/17/2010 - 207 - tough month

5/17/2010 - 197 - started exercising 60 minutes a day

6/08/2010 - 194 - weighed early. Went to France- walked 120 miles in 2 wks

7/17/2010 - 186 - measurements 37-33-41 - Exercising 60-120 minutes a day, 7 days a week

I :smile: my Sleeve and Dr. Baggs!

wow I am impressed on how you keep track of everything everyday - that takes a lot of work. Have you ever had your resting metabolic rate taken?

The Kaiser program I am in right now has us at 960 cal a day, but we are working up to 1200 a day. I also have to have bloodwork done every 3 weeks while on the 960 calories to make sure everything is ok. 650 calories a day seems too low - is that what your program says to eat for the sleeve? Have you tried eating more calories? I know for myself eating too little causes my weight loss to stop as my body thinks I am starving and holds on to everything I eat. Our bodies are all different but it is just a thought.

I'm supposed to be getting a call from Robin on Tuesday morning as I have my appt with Dr. Im on Thursday. I'm still not sure what I am going to say to her - gonna be honest about the program I am in and no doubt she won't be happy with me.