Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I have failed my band - SUPPORT GROUP

Hello everyone' date=' I had the band in 07. Weight at time of banding 234, current weight 186, lowest weight with band 173. I fell off the wagon, have had multiple complications but have not been back to the doc since 1 year post op due to financial problems. I have decided to go back in within the next 30 days to get checked out, get an unfill if he can since my port seems to have flipped sideways. I just love that you all are supporting each other, I would like to become a part of the group :)! My goals: get back to dr., figure out what is causing the complications and fix it, regain control of my eating habit's, start exercise more and get to my goal weight of 147-155 or where the doc said 150-160. I drink when i eat so i can get more than 2 small bites down, i eat the way wrong foods, I crave sugar and carbs all the time. Protein even shakes are hard to keep down. Miserable just miserable, I cannot wait to get this figured out. I await your advice critiques :)[/quote']

Welcome! Sounds like you have done well overall. I am trying to get my work out in 5 to 6 days. I did pretty good for 2 weeks. I allowed someone emotional issues to get the best of me last week. I met with my trainer this morning, and I'm hurting, but I guess that's a good thing. I'm forgiving myself daily and moving forward. Stay encouraged.

I hear you, sometimes emotional problems get the best of us for a minute. I am working thru some problems myself and food used to be my crutch, now I loose my appetite completely when i am emotionally crazed lol. I was so lookung foward to loosing the weight, I have alot if loose flabby skin on my back and tummy. Was awaiting my final surgery's to have a half way decent body, ok maybe not halfway with all the stretch marks but at least look a little better in my clothes lol. I am totally to blame, i should have figured out a way to see the dr. Find a nutritionist and so on. Its great to vent :)

Schampange - I'm sorry to hear you are having trouble with your band. It sounds like you are way too tight! I hope you get in to see the doctor soon.

Update about my progress:

I know I'm eating way too much. My band lets me eat a good sized dinner. For example, tonight I had a slice of meatloaf and about a cup of sweet potato. That is about 2 cups of food. I know I shouldn't be able to eat 2 cups of food! But, if I go any tighter I end up on soft and mushies and throw up all the time. As it is I throw up a few days a week now. I'm confused about how it is so hard to get food down sometimes, but I also have such little restriction as far as how much I can eat. If anyone has any thoughts on this, I'd love to hear.

I fell off the wagon with my super strict paleo diet. I've made a few adjustments to make it a little more do-able (added dairy back in) and am back on track as of today. I'm also committing to track my calories every day. I waffle back and forth about what is more important to count, carbs or calories. I'm still not sure. I also didn't exercise last week. I tweaked my back on Sunday and took a few days off. I'm headed back to yoga tomorrow and took a 45 minute walk today.

I'm miserable in this body. I'm weighing in between 204 - 209 depending on the time of day. I hardly have any clothes that fit, my face is fat, I feel icky. I've got to get some weight off! I feel so frustrated! I thought I had weight loss surgery so that I'd quit having to diet all the time and quit being fat!

-Hilary

I hear you' date=' sometimes emotional problems get the best of us for a minute. I am working thru some problems myself and food used to be my crutch, now I loose my appetite completely when i am emotionally crazed lol. I was so lookung foward to loosing the weight, I have alot if loose flabby skin on my back and tummy. Was awaiting my final surgery's to have a half way decent body, ok maybe not halfway with all the stretch marks but at least look a little better in my clothes lol. I am totally to blame, i should have figured out a way to see the dr. Find a nutritionist and so on. Its great to vent :)[/quote']

Ok, you are to blame. Now forgive yourself. I'm saying this to you, because its my problem as well. I so often forget to forgive myself. I can't continue to blame myself or anyone for things not happening. I just have to use the energy to get it done. I can't remember where you started, but I would love to be that close to onederland. You need to look at a program that will help you get rid of some of the carbs. I know that carbs and Snacks are my problem. I have to make a conscious effort to leave the Snacks. My eating wasn't too bad yesterday, but it will be even better tomorrow.

Schampange - I'm sorry to hear you are having trouble with your band. It sounds like you are way too tight! I hope you get in to see the doctor soon.

I know I'm eating way too much. My band lets me eat a good sized dinner. For example' date=' tonight I had a slice of meatloaf and about a cup of sweet potato. That is about 2 cups of food. I know I shouldn't be able to eat 2 cups of food! But, if I go any tighter I end up on soft and mushies and throw up all the time. As it is I throw up a few days a week now. I'm confused about how it is so hard to get food down sometimes, but I also have such little restriction as far as how much I can eat. If anyone has any thoughts on this, I'd love to hear.

I fell off the wagon with my super strict paleo diet. I've made a few adjustments to make it a little more do-able (added dairy back in) and am back on track as of today. I'm also committing to track my calories every day. I waffle back and forth about what is more important to count, carbs or calories. I'm still not sure. I also didn't exercise last week. I tweaked my back on Sunday and took a few days off. I'm headed back to yoga tomorrow and took a 45 minute walk today.

I'm miserable in this body. I'm weighing in between 204 - 209 depending on the time of day. I hardly have any clothes that fit, my face is fat, I feel icky. I've got to get some weight off! I feel so frustrated! I thought I had weight loss surgery so that I'd quit having to diet all the time and quit being fat!

-Hilary[/quote']

I had the same issue. I had some Fluid removed, and I really feel loose. I plan to have them to slowly tighten me. We are super close to our sweet spot. I am waiting for this job to come through and my insurance will kick in.

I'm exercising today and the rest of the week. I want to loose as much as I can this month. I pray that things began to look up soon.

Thank you everyone! I will move forward :) Today was not a good day. We stayed in a hotel last night, no food except the vending machine so needless to say I had junk for dinner, skittles and a cupcake. This morning we missed Breakfast so nothing to eat but a few Cheetos. Finally got a load around 2 we were all loaded and headed to the trk stop for some lunch. I had the buffet, nasty! I had a little salad, some mashed potatoes and some kind of meatball. I stuffed myself, i ate four meatballs and a bite of some mack and cheese. Cornbread with honey, 2 bites. I drank 1 lrg cup of sweet tea. Yup writing it down really does make a difference. I guess other than everything but the meatballs were garbage foods. I ate app 2 cups, way to much. Note to self get some Protein Shakes in the truck! Accountability!

Aloudwisper, Things will work out, they always do as long as we do our best and don't stop believing in our selves we WILL succeeded! :)

Aloudwisper' date=' Things will work out, they always do as long as we do our best and don't stop believing in our selves we WILL succeeded! :)[/quote']

You are so right. We also have to have people in our corner that can relate to our struggles. Its important to always write down what you eat no matter what. I struggle with always writing things down. I'm trying to do better with getting my exercise in and limiting my carb intake. Its a day by day thing though. We will get there.

I know I'm eating way too much. My band lets me eat a good sized dinner. For example' date=' tonight I had a slice of meatloaf and about a cup of sweet potato. That is about 2 cups of food. I know I shouldn't be able to eat 2 cups of food! But, if I go any tighter I end up on soft and mushies and throw up all the time. As it is I throw up a few days a week now. I'm confused about how it is so hard to get food down sometimes, but I also have such little restriction as far as how much I can eat. If anyone has any thoughts on this, I'd love to hear.

-Hilary[/quote']

Hi Hilary,

What is the paleo diet? I am frightened of the word DIET, I have either failed or been failed by diets. I have been heavy since age 5. Yo yo all the way thru life until the band. I know now all that dieting did was cause me to have eating disorders. I was a binge eater, still am but with the band it's easier to control. I look back now and see what where I failed myself, eating large amounts of food for days then starve for weeks. NOT healthy at all and I have the stretch marks and dr history to prove it :(. Plain and simple I was an unhappy depressed child adolescent and young adult with little to no support at least not helpful support. A unhealthy family life and so on contributed greatly. I look back and realize that being heavy was my way of keeping people away, totally the opposite of what my heart wanted, trauma does that i now know. Any way I didn't mean to go on and on but we all have an underlining reason be it medical or what have you to be heavy, its not always if ever laziness :)

Hi Hilary,

What is the paleo diet? I am frightened of the word DIET, I have either failed or been failed by diets. I have been heavy since age 5. Yo yo all the way thru life until the band. I know now all that dieting did was cause me to have eating disorders. I was a binge eater, still am but with the band it's easier to control. I look back now and see what where I failed myself, eating large amounts of food for days then starve for weeks. NOT healthy at all and I have the stretch marks and dr history to prove it :(. Plain and simple I was an unhappy depressed child adolescent and young adult with little to no support at least not helpful support. A unhealthy family life and so on contributed greatly. I look back and realize that being heavy was my way of keeping people away, totally the opposite of what my heart wanted, trauma does that i now know. Any way I didn't mean to go on and on but we all have an underlining reason be it medical or what have you to be heavy, its not always if ever laziness :)

Hi Schampange,

I tried paleo on and off since July 2012. All in all, I gained weight. While I do believe in the science behind it, I've finally given up on it. It also felt restrictive with what I was allowed to eat. Somehow it was better in theory than in practice for me. I have since joined weight watchers. I had my first meeting today and am hoping I'll have success on it. Best wishes to you finding what works for you. Lord knows I'm still trying to figure it out!

-Hilary

Yay for weight watchers. I've thought about trying it again. I was good for about a 20 pounds weight loss, but at that time thw meetings were too expensive. I might try it again

Yay for weight watchers. I've thought about trying it again. I was good for about a 20 pounds weight loss' date=' but at that time thw meetings were too expensive. I might try it again[/quote']

I have thought about it and nutri system, looks expensive! Maybe worth it tho?!

I had a co-worker who did nutrisystem. I heard from her that some of the food is really gross and that some of it is okay. I never heard from her that she loved what she was eating. I love to cook and can't imagine eating packaged food every day. I'm too much of a foodee. But, I can see the temptation to do nutrisystem because it is convenient - especially for people who don't like to cook. It kind of reminds me of my horrible experience with Jenny Craig, though.

One thing that is good about WW (besides the food) is that you have a weekly meeting in which: 1) they weigh you (so, it isn't just you who knows your weight, it is your leader/receptionist too), 2) they give you tips for success, and 3) you make friends and support one another. I could easily count calories by myself instead of doing WW, but then I wouldn't get the benefit of the meetings and support. Since I live 4 hours away from my sugeon's office, I need local support. It is expensive though. About $10 a week at the cheapest.

I have thought about it and nutri system' date=' looks expensive! Maybe worth it tho?![/quote']

Whatever works for you. i will cheer for you. I like south beach myself. Its a cheap, a healthy approach to eating right. You aren't hungry. The first 2 days of phase one is mentally challenging, but the weight comes off. When I get to phase 2 I always fall off the wagon. So I am determined to learn how to incorporate healthy eating. I often do a mix of phase 1 and 2. But when I'm on it, I'm on it. I feel better the weight is coming off, I'm exercising. The a stressful moment happens and I forget that I'm on the plan. That's my problem. My goal is to still to my 5 to 6 day work outs to balance myself because I have a lot going on.