Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

3mos - Am I eating too much

Hello everyone,

I am on my 2nd fill and go back in two months. I believe he said it was 5cc's I do have to watch how fast I drink and if I drink to fast after taking a bite of something it will come back up. chicken gets stuck, turkey, beef. I sometimes don't know what to eat. I eat cheese allot but that gets stuck sometimes to. I have a juicer so I juice my veggies so I will get them because they get stuck. I have to eat really slow slower then I every could eat in my life before.. I figure since I reached my 40's and now going to be 51 yrs I had all those years of not eating right. It's going to take me well I am giving myself a year of training. I have to learn to pick the right foods and chew them slowly and eat slow....never did this before ever so it's going to be a long time of training myself from years of bad habits. I do good for awhile then I don't...but with this 2nd fill has really helped. I lost 20 lbs in the first 3 months then just stopped. Now I am down another 4 lbs. So I guess it's about 1 lb a week...I have to except that as good. I feel I should be down more...but it's okay. I am learning to eat small and slow and less. This is one of the hardest things I ever had to do.

Lisa,

If you're cutting your foods into very small pieces and chewing thoroughly before swallowing - and still getting stuck - your band is probably too tight. That will cause you to migrate to liquid foods which tend to be higher in calories. You might want to discuss this with your surgeon.

Brad

Brad,

You I'm not cutting my foods into small pieces I just take small bites. I think I am doing things wrong. I stopped weighing my food...but I kind of know what a cup looks like...but I am sure I am doing it wrong. I have a Protein shake every morning it's some ice and Water a banana and a scoop of choc Protein Shake. For snack I have a sugar free pudding and then whatever I had for dinner the night before I have for lunch but small....I always freeze half my shake so I have that at night for a snack. Believe me during this holiday i had plenty of cheese cake. lol No Turkey that gets stuck. Sometimes I think I am eating too much then I write it down to see what I ate and it's not that much. Since veggies get stuck I juice them now. There are days when I eat way more then what I just told you, but most of the time it's that's how much. I have had my food get stuck plenty and it comes back up. One day I can eat Soup the next day I can't it's weird. That's with everything...I think I still eat too fast.

Lisa, has the restriction eased at all yet to allow you to eat more solids?

Brad

A tiny bit that's all, but what is weird is that one day I can eat like home made chicken Soup and the next day it won't go down. The more I get food stuck and vomit will that make my band slip?

I am doing allot better chewing and stopping after every bite, I believe when I am at work is when I have more problems....I rush more. Learning to take it slow.

But I still can't really chew any kind of meat except pork...seems to be the better of all of them.

Lisa,

After my 3rd fill I had a lot of fluctuations with restriction. One day I would eat a Subway salad, finish it all and then eat some chicken strips because I was still hungry. The very next day I could only eat 1/3 of the exact same Subway salad... I believe there are very many variables that effect this including stress, salt intake, hydration, pouch irritation, and on and on and on... And of course women also have other issues that cause fluctuations as well.

When I went in for my fourth fill appointment, I explained the fluctuation to the surgeon. I was discouraging against a fill because some days it was quite tight. He said that if I still had hunger issues on some days then he wanted to do a small fill. After that fill I have not had any daily fluctuations. Now as time has gone on, the restriction has lessened, but has been a consistent trend rather than the daily variables.

I think it's just something you're going to have to experiment with and discuss with you doc.

My apology to hope4newlife for the hijack...

Brad

Edited by bambam31
addition

thanks for the info...i've been having the exact same thing happening to me...it seems to depend on the day if i can eat what we consider a full meal or if i'll be hungry after i eat it. about a week ago my doc only gave me a .25cc fill. at first i felt nothing and then i guess it kicked in...cuz i dropped three pounds like nothing. but again...what i can eat in a day still seems to fluctuate. i go back in a month...and if i need a little more...i know he'll give me the fill. keeping my doc involved as well as talking to others is what is keeping me going.

happy holidays everyone! and let's all keep up the great work!!

Good Morning,

Okay I had my Christmas Party (Holiday party) last night @my bosses house. I had like 5 Jello shots which of course go down nice and easy lol and three Peach Martini's which I was surprised went down pretty easy. In between all that I tried to eat some chicken wings and couldn't so I tried a wrap Turkey sandwich and I was able to eat less then half until I felt it not going down. So I had to stop for a while and wait which made my buzz go away a bit lol seems like you feel your drinks allot faster with the band, lol. Then I had some little shrimp with clams and Pasta and that took a while to eat............then Water the rest of the way. I find that mixing I think and drinks make my stomach burn and hurt. Does this happen to anyone? I didn't feel like I ate too much but now that I wrote it down I didn't do the right thing. I should have had one drink one jello shot, no wings lol it all was too much I really don't feel too great today.

Don't you just love the holiday season? All those nasty temptations...

My nutrionist said it was ok to sip a beverage while eating, but the key word is SIP...

Since having good restriction, anytime I try to DRINK with food in the pouch, I get a very uncomfortable "bubble" feeling.

If you have good restriction, the Jello shots might not have gone directly through the pouch either. If I eat a slushy smoothie it even collects in the pouch somewhat.

Brad

I had made Cookies and have been eating a couple everyday and I feel like I gained all my weight back. I also haven't been to the gym since last Monday so I really feel like a fatty. I have stopped as of last night. I can'r be around all that stuff. Having the band didn't stop me from eating the crap...it's all learned. I am trying so hard. I just have another two weeks to get by and it's over but as of last night I had to stop it's not worth it at all. I had to get in my head you know. I really don't want to start gaining weight again. I don't want to stretch my band out either. I still need to mush some of my food too I am restricted but for some reason cookies go straight down.

I have 5cc in a 10cc band and finally have some restriction. I'm eating a lot less now. I do find that if I eat too fast or swallow too fast, it'll get a little stuck on the way down. Nothing serious yet but I do have to be careful.

Before this last fill I was eating upwards of 1 to 1 1/2 cups of food! Then I'd be hungry in less than 3 hrs. I was starting to worry about stretching my pouch. But I guess until you get restriction THEN overeat, you don't have to worry about it too much.

I can eat anything. bread, Pasta and rice do not bother me, but again, I have to chew well and not get in a hurry. I don't want to be so restricted that I can't eat things. That isn't the point of the band, at least for me. I want to be able to eat "normally" while just eating A LOT less of it.

In general, my diet is very healthy but I still want to be able to eat my whole wheat pastas and rice along with my lean Protein and veggies. I got in to trouble with every diet I tried by restricting certain foods. I refuse to do it anymore. An occasional small order of fries is not going to hurt me, it's the large orders on an almost daily basis that's going to hurt.

Anyway, that's my theory! :shades_smile:

wow...wish i could eat rice and Pasta...even a little bit. my doc says that stuff is a no-no and i'm afraid it would get stuck and then i'd have to go see him to help me.

and i hear ya lisafitz...it's all a head game right now and i'm having the same trouble as we have tons of Cookies and candy sitting out at work. it's difficult to not grab one when you walk past. i just keep trying to ask myself if it's worth it or not.

You know why is it so easy for the Cookies, cheese cake etc to to go down and not get stuck, but when you eat something good or have your Protein Shake it's hard to go down. It's just not right lol really.

I can't even eat a scrambled egg it gets stuck. Pasta for get it and pizza that takes me like an hour to eat....small bites and I have to wait in between each bite so it's just not worth it sometimes. Tonight I have all seafood for Christmas Eve dinner and shrimp I can not eat. Just the fish and crabs. That will be it. I can eat rice it's easy....somethings are and then I can eat the same thing the next day and it isn't. I dropped another like .02 lbs lol in a week it's just moving soooooooo slow....it drives me nuts. But I haven't been to the gym in over a week and I am sure that is a big part of it.

Well Happy Holidays to all

wow...wish i could eat rice and Pasta...even a little bit. my doc says that stuff is a no-no and i'm afraid it would get stuck and then i'd have to go see him to help me.

I'm not super tight. I have restriction and if I swallow too fast (not chewing enough before) then I will get a little stuck. BUT I'm also not eating a lot of Pasta or rice. And most times it's whole wheat pasta and brown rice and small amounts if I do eat it. I just take it slow, like everything else.

I don't want to be so tight that I can't eat something. That's always when I get in to trouble when dieting. Tell me I can't have something and that then becomes all I want!

I do eat pizza (1 slice vs. 4), cheeseburger (1 sm or 1/2 lg vs 2 or 3 sm or 1 lg PLUS lg fries!), etc. BUT instead of having that stuff several times a week, it's maybe once a week or 2. Ice cream is 1/2-1 cup, once or twice a week vs 2-3 cups nightly. It's all about moderation and Portion Control and that was my problem before being banded. Don't get me wrong, I'm still messing up and still have a lot of head work to do but it's all MUCH better than before banding.

Yeah I can't eat the whole wheat Pasta and that's what I really love if and when I do make pasta....it seems like it blows up inside of me. The weird part is I can eat one thing one day and the next time I eat it it comes right back up. I just want to bite into a burger so bad....but every time I tried I can't do it. Right now I just had some ham and it's sitting in my throat I am going to have to bring it back up...now tomorrow I might be able to eat it...I just don't get it some times. I know I put too much in my mouth when I am talking to people and stuff then I get sick...I have to learn how to slow it up.

I was banded Aug 5th and I was at the time 216 lbs...the most I weighed right before that was 225 lbs now I think I am 190 lbs. I haven't weighed myself for two weeks...I was weighing everyday and I had to stop. I am losing so very very very slow. Seems like every one else is just dropping weight. I just don't know if it's my age, my menopause or what. lol but I go to the gym I try my best to watch what I eat. I think I am eating right, but I feel like I am not losing weight fast enough. Oh well.