Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

My "mystery" complications...

After being banded in May 07, I have had non stop problems with the band. I began at 260, and have only lost 30 lbs in the past year and a half. I have been in and out of the hospital several times, and tested for various things, all yielding no results. I have barely been able to keep foods and liquids down. I have literally been living off milkshakes, yogurt, soups...etc and on the average day am only able to have one meal (if I'm lucky). I have had my band adjusted several times, all with no help. Eventually my doctor removed all the saline and thought it was perhaps and infection (put me on steroids). This did not help. An ER doctor diagnosed me with stomach spasms, and prescribed me another medication. This did not help. Another ER surgeon though my stomach was on the brink of bursting, so suggested any time I was in serious pain lasting more then an hour to go to the ER right away. With ivs, pain meds, and muscle relaxants, even this did not help. I was giving up hope. The doctors, myself, and my family were all confused, frustrated, and wondering why if I could barely eat, why I did not lose any more weight?

About a month ago, my doctor noticed that my port had turned. He wanted to move it and thought that in moving it he could drain any saline that may have been caught inside (he thought perhaps my band was still simply too tight). I agreed to under go this surgery as a last result before removing it.

Turns out this minor procedure ended up a 6 hour + operation. My stomach was found in my chest cavity, this was due to a very large hernia above where the stomach should sit. The doctor said the "spasms" pain I had was probably the tearing of my chest hernia (ouch). The reason I had not lost the weight was because my immune system was simply trying to store every last bit of food that was able to stay down. The foods and liquids would literally sit in my throat and come up again because my stomach was so high (beside where the throat ended) so it had no where to go but back up. My band had also slipped and ended up around the very lower stomach, beginning of the intestines. I am upset that I had such serious complications, not only with eating, lack of weight loss, but so called "asthma" (turns out my lung capacity was compromised from the stomach being so high in the chest), and constant pain I suffered BUT I am so happy that an answer has finally been found.

My doctor decided to fix me all up, and put a new band in. I have literally started my lap band journey over again and I am very happy with the results so far. I have already lost 20 lbs in just 2 and a half weeks, I have no pain while eating and drinking, and I do feel some restriction! I am relieved that this was discovered before something more serious went wrong. The nurses literally said I am so lucky that my body did not react worse to this complication. I have felt sick for a year and a half and am finally starting to feel like myself again.

It's about time!

My advice to anyone with persistent complications, be persistent with your doctors. Ask for second opinions. If you know your body like I did, you are probably right when you think something is seriously wrong. I am glad I was so persistent. I could have had a collapsed lung, digestive problems, ...etc and I am very lucky that my body dealt with this complication so well.

Well, here I go again. I should have been at my goal weight by now trying on bikini's but I guess it will all be worth it in the end. I am determined to have the band work for me this time.

KT,

Wow... what a story! I am so glad you were persistent with your doc and refused to give up. Many wishes for a full recovery and lots of weight loss success!

Sorry to hear about your ordeal... I too have had a rough year and a half of fills unfills pain from reflux and pressure. today I have been scheduled for a new band and hiatal hernia repair. I had been about 140 for over two years and doing well but sometimes there are problems . I should not have waited ssoooo long and got unfilled and gained some back...

Good luck with your new band!!

I am glad I got the band and will always have one they work great when you work them!!!

I can not believe the ordeal you have been thru. and no one could tell that your band had slipped?

you are right about knowing your body. I knew something was not right with my band but I did okay for a while then I must have really slipped when I had extreme trouble keeping solids down and had most of my Fluid removed with out relief. thankfully I only had to wait a few weeks for my revision. Now I have new band that is larger than my last (went from 4cc to 14cc), it a huge difference and I have fighting to find restriction but I am very very happy.

all the best to you!

Wow that is crazy.. I wonder why no one ever did a fluero?? They would have seen the band was out of place at the very least.

The few times I've been worried, fluero is the first thing they do.

Glad you're better and back on the wagon!

Hey thanks for replying to me. I have had several esophograms. I had one today ! My doctor saw the hiatal hernia. It confirmed what we thought. It never showed up before on the three others I had. They told me it is very hard to diagnose a hiatal hernia and that sometimes you can't see it until they operate. Anyway, It has been an ordeal and it is nice to connect with my fellow bandsters to talk. I really want to get back to my good weight. I have steadily been losing my self esteem and I feel like a failure. I can't control my eating and I know this since I have been unfilled and gained again!!! I just pray the second surgery goes well and I get home in one piece and safe. This is a journey and I am still on it.