Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Should I be concerned?

I've read numerous times about how folks who had high blood pressure or diabetes went off their meds and were "normal" almost immediately after their surgery. Well, I've been monitoring my bp and sugar while continuing my meds and the numbers are no better, in fact my bp has gone up a hair since surgery.

Am I expecting too much too quick?? Is there any guarantee that my numbers are going to go to normal? I am enjoying the weight loss, but I mainly got the band to get rid of the diabetic monster and high blood pressure that had invaded my body!

Your body is still healing. Surgery is a major stress, which might affect your BP. Keep the faith and keep up with following your program and good things will follow. I have reduced my BP meds some, my BP is better than it has been in a ling time, and more will follow.

Often the HTN and DM resolve as you lose weight. That effect is frequently more rapid and pronounced in people who've had bypass surgery. However, give it time and as you lose, odds are good your issues will resolve too.

Personally, because I had 5 weeks of preop liver-shrink diet and then 2-weeks post op of just liquids, during that time I didn't need my diuretic, for example. However once I moved back to solid, "real" foods, I do need it.

The need will diminish however, over time and with weight loss.

I seem to be experiencing the same dilemma. I had surgery back in April and hoped that my glucose levels would be lower and my blood pressure down. I seem to be stable with weight loss right now (after dropping 44 pounds) and had a fill a few weeks ago. My endo did blood work and my glucose numbers are 1 digit from being considered diabetic and my blood pressure various. I was hoping that after all that weight loss my glucose work would improve, but it hasnt. I dont understand this. My gyn and endo have agreed that I should monitor my blood sugar with the meter periodically. I, too, had the surgery thinking that it would improve my lab work. How much more weight will it take before I am out of the pre-diabetic range? All of this is very disheartening.

Trinity are you exercising and eating like so many of us are told to....protein 1st, then veggies, then fruit, then breads/pastas/grains, and avoiding sugar and carbonated beverages?

This is the first week that I'm really going to focus on exercising... I've been trying to walk at least 30 min a day, but from here on out, NO excuses!!

Thanks for the continued encouragement and support!

For me, I was in excellent control prior to the band, but had to go off the byetta. Byetta according to my dr can cause damage to the band itself. So I chose to go off, and see where things lay. As long as I do my exercise daily (which sould be all it takes), I am in normal ranges. BUT days I don't exercise, I should take something for my sugar. Right now I don't. I've lost 44 pounds total. BUT funny thing to me, I always had blood pressures of like 110/68, now I'm running high 130's over high 80's. So I am heading for medication for that. I've been under a lot of stress, so hopefully that eases. And maybe my bp will go back to normal.

I am scheuduled to see my endocrinologist the 24th, am trying to reschedule. But if I have to wait to long, I'll move my other appt. I'm thinking he may put me on a sliding scale insulin, until I loose enough weight I don't need it.

Teri