Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I began my journey for WLS in August. I jumped through all the hoops that the insurance company requires. But the last step of my process was the psych appt. The facility I am using only uses one psych dr. So I made the appt. I am so dissapointed. The Dr. spent 25 minutes with me, interviewed me and after $180 later, called to inform me that I did great on the personality test and that I am a binge eater?!?!?! He suggested I get a self help book or (of course) come to see him.... it is an easy fix. In the interview, the only question he asked regarding eating was "Do I eat more that I should at meals?" My answer was sure, I love food, that is probably my problem. I guess what I am asking, has anyone else had this diagnosis and what have they done to fix it and do you think this is going to be a problem with my insurance co?:)

"Do I eat more that I should at meals?" To me, I would think there would only be a problem if you answered no cause other wise we would think it normal to eat large meals. I'm not very good at explaining myself I hope you know where i'm coming from.

I know what you mean, I just am so baffled at that diagnosis. To me a binge eater is somone that clears the refrigerator out or eats uncontollably. I eat 3 times a day and eat what my family does. My mind says that I am full, but I always get those few extra bites in. To the psych dr. I guess that is binging. But I guess the psych dr and myself have different opinions as to what a binge eater is.

I would be very upset if I were you. It sounds to me like he's trying to drum up more business for himself!

I think your best bet is to approach your surgeon and discuss it, since the psych reports to the surgeon. Tell him/her exactly what you wrote and tell him that you are NOT a binge eater, and you want him to speak to the psych to change it. I suggest going through the surgeon because the surgeon is the one who feeds clients to the psychologist, and the psychologist makes a lot of money very easily because it's a steady stream of clients he didn't have to advertise to find himself. The psychologist is therefore more likely to listen to the surgeon than to you - he sees you as a paycheck!

The key here when you talk to the surgeon is not to sound too emotional or sound upset or else he'll think maybe the psych was right. Try to sound objective and just state the facts. Good luck.

Are they denying you the surgery based on this? Or is this just him wanting to show you where you could struggle after surgery and trying to give you tools to help you then?

In my phyc review, I was also diagnosed as a binge eater. The dr made one of my requirements to read "Mindless Eating" (I'll give you more information if you would like). I read the book and quickly realized he was right. I too was angry at first, but approved anyway without any additional requirements. We are all here for one reason or another. Use the band as a tool to help you overcome this issue. It's so easy to get back to our old ways.

I spoke to the medical/insurance administrator today. She looked at my psych eval and said it wasnt even in the report and everything looked fine. She is submitting the paperwork to the insurance company this week. She stated that I should hear something by next week. I will keep my fingers crossed.

Are they denying you the surgery based on this? Or is this just him wanting to show you where you could struggle after surgery and trying to give you tools to help you then?

I think he was just trying to show me where I could struggle afterwards. I want this to be a success. It was suggested to me by the medical administror to go and see a nutritionist and a councelor. I agree, it wont hurt. Thanks for your input!!:w00t:

I would be very upset if I were you. It sounds to me like he's trying to drum up more business for himself!

I think your best bet is to approach your surgeon and discuss it, since the psych reports to the surgeon. Tell him/her exactly what you wrote and tell him that you are NOT a binge eater, and you want him to speak to the psych to change it. I suggest going through the surgeon because the surgeon is the one who feeds clients to the psychologist, and the psychologist makes a lot of money very easily because it's a steady stream of clients he didn't have to advertise to find himself. The psychologist is therefore more likely to listen to the surgeon than to you - he sees you as a paycheck!

The key here when you talk to the surgeon is not to sound too emotional or sound upset or else he'll think maybe the psych was right. Try to sound objective and just state the facts. Good luck.

Thanks for your input. I do find it odd that this surgery center only uses 1 psych dr. He probably does get alot of business with this center only using him. I will go and listen to what he says and maybe his diagnosis will make more sense if he spends some time with me discussing this. O dont have anything to lose.:w00t:

In my phyc review, I was also diagnosed as a binge eater. The dr made one of my requirements to read "Mindless Eating" (I'll give you more information if you would like). I read the book and quickly realized he was right. I too was angry at first, but approved anyway without any additional requirements. We are all here for one reason or another. Use the band as a tool to help you overcome this issue. It's so easy to get back to our old ways.

Thanks, I will look for that book at Borders, if it isnt on the shelf, I will order it.:w00t: