Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I've been on the boards for several months and have read 3-4 books on lapband procedures as well as talking to a relative who had it done so I know that it is a long tedious process to actually get to surgery, but I think that finally sunk in yesterday.

I went to see my PCP to tell her I was interested in the surgery and will be attending a seminar in a few weeks. She was very supportive of it and spent a great deal of time talking with me about the risks and benefits of the surgery. At one time I was considering changing PCPs as she hasn't always spent the time with me that I would like and I have occasionally felt rushed. I saw one physician I was considering switching to and asked if he would support me in lapband surgery and he said he would prefer I tried to lose through diet and exercise (duh - me too! but I'm 47 and don't see it happening!) In his defense, he didn't know me from Adam. Anyway, I'm glad I stuck with my current PCP and even talked wth her about feeling rushed at some visits.

As informed as I feel I am, I feel I finally have accepted that it will be middle to late 2009 before I am able to have surgery and that's okay. I want to be prepared for this so will do whatever it takes. My PCP said when I need a referral letter written she will do so, but said she can only suggest WLS, that it will be up to my surgeon to decide what kind is best for me. I really have my head wrapped around lapband so I hope that is the route the surgeon will want to proceed with. I know gastric bypass has improved, but it's still more extensive and riskier than I would like to go with.

Anyway.. thanks for listening and for sharing. I have been soaking up everything on these boards that I can!

bambam

Whether it takes a while depends, unfortunately, mostly on insurance. Surgeons can have busy schedules too but insurance seems to be the major speed bump. For me, I went to a seminar 7/10 and had my first surgery 8/11 (same year LOL) so it wasn't tedious at all. However I was way over my healthy range, and that "helps" speed the process.

At any rate, lots of people do have to do a 6-month diet etc so you won't be alone! Welcome! :wink_smile:

OH and one more thing? It's YOUR body and health and life; not your surgeon's, or your PCP's, or anyone else's. By all means listen to the surgeon, but YOU and only YOU should decide what surgery you want. It may be, once all the info is laid out before you, that bypass appeals to you. It may be that when all is said and done you prefer the lap band. YOU choose. If the surgeon trys to force or coerce you, find another surgeon. Both surgeries help with obesity and can prolong your life so they shouldn't foist one or the other on you. :wink_smile:

Thanks for the posts Restless Monkey. I've read a lot of your advice - in fact I think you were the one who suggested Dr. Sewell's book on lap band, which I just bought and finished. Thanks!

I did tell my hubby that while the surgeon will make a suggestion on what surgery he feels is best for me, in the end I'm paying and as long as I understand that lap band is not going to yield results as fast as bypass... as well as all the risks, complications, etc., and have a good grasp of the concept of it I would think it would be my decision in the end. I have a BMI of 43 with comorbidities and I wondered if my PCP thought I might be better suited to a bypass, but she may just have been making a general statement that it's not up to her. My SIL just had lap band and her weight was higher than mine with similar comorbidities, so I don't foresee any problems, just kind of surprised me when she mentioned it I guess.

Sorry for the long response.. it's just nice to talk lapband with someone who understands!

bambam

Edited by bambam

That was an informative book, wasn't it? ;)

I'm glad to know you're determined to make up your own mind! Some of us, um, more "mature" people (LOL) are from an era when doctor's were almost like little gods and were to be obeyed. (boy I'm glad those days are gone! LOL) I've read unfortunate posts, too, where people were made to feel like they SHOULD get bypass for whatever reason, and that just irks me! Both operations have pros and cons and both get the job done so each person should decide on his/her own! I hope the process goes more quickly for you than you anticipate!

think the process to get the surgery is slow? just wait until you see how slow the weight loss process is after the band! this whole process requires lots of patience. i have to remind myself that i didn't get this way overnight!

I definitely feel your frustration with how long it will take! I'm on month 2 of my six-month diet and am getting anxious. Plus my roommate is also getting banded and I might have to wait for her when we set our surgery date, we want to do it on the same day. I'm a good case for insurance approval, I have a BMI of 51 and am healthy besides being insanely overweight. She has a lower BMI and has Kaiser ins right now so faces a few more challenges to get approval. I just want this dang surgery NOW but I think the waiting is good for me so I know I took the time to do the research and am committed no matter what!

Just keep on truckin' - we'll get there eventually!!

Insurance really is a key element. I was on Wells-Fargo when I began this process about a year ago. I went through the six-month pre-op program, my dr's office submitted and I was turned down. So they gathered more info and they resubmitted and I was turned down again. In the meantime, I had an appendectomy, had to quit going to the gym and regained some weight. Then, in mid-September, I got a letter from my employer saying we were switching to Mountain State Blue Cross/Blue Shield and how much better it was, blah, blah, blah, and I'm like "Yeah, right. God just doesn't want me to have this surgery for whatever reason." So I finally called my surgeon last week about the insurance change and faxed a copy of my card ... I was approved in three days and will have my surgery within the next couple of weeks. I'm stunned and still waiting for the other shoe to drop -

Hi restless monkey,

I am do to get banded Dec. 4th and have Bc/Bs and was aproved in one week. But, my question to u is what is the thing about the fatty liver? I do not want anything to hold me back from the surgery .

insurance really is a key element. I was on wells-fargo when i began this process about a year ago. I went through the six-month pre-op program, my dr's office submitted and i was turned down. So they gathered more info and they resubmitted and i was turned down again. In the meantime, i had an appendectomy, had to quit going to the gym and regained some weight. Then, in mid-september, i got a letter from my employer saying we were switching to mountain state blue cross/blue shield and how much better it was, blah, blah, blah, and i'm like "yeah, right. God just doesn't want me to have this surgery for whatever reason." so i finally called my surgeon last week about the insurance change and faxed a copy of my card ... I was approved in three days and will have my surgery within the next couple of weeks. I'm stunned and still waiting for the other shoe to drop -

i am so sorry to hear that you were turned down, not once but twice, what a pain! You say you transfered, so that means you had kaiser insurance first? Is that correct? And now your trying to get resubmitted threw blue cross? Can you elaborate on why you gor denied twice?

Thank you,

s.v.