Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Non Band Topic - Books and movies

OK - Time for a new thread on non-band things. So, as a long time bibliophile (I was allowed to substitute library work for art work in grade school), and a recent movie buff (until DH, I didn't even have a TV for years), I thought I would start things off with a few (5) of my fav's and a few of my 'OMG, why were these movies popular???'....Hope to hear yours...

books. My fav genre is mysteries. My fav authors (and there are many): Peter Robinson; Ian Rankin; Elizabeth George; Ruth Rendall; Henning Mankel, to start

Movies:

Worst ones seen recently (they may be older because as I mentioned I didn't start watching movies until recently): Everything is Illuminated; Fargo; Mission to Mars; The Cell; Vantage Point,

Great ones ....There are SOOOO many. But most recently seen: Juno; Atonement; Before the Devil knows you're dead; A Mighty Heart; LOTR trilogy

Your turn........

Fav writers- Tamora Peirce, Laurie Notaro, David Sedaris, L.J Smith, Stephan King, Jeanette Wintorson, Mary Gaitskill, J.W Rowling, and Scott Fitzgerald.

Favorite books- I loved Harry Potter, I love everyone and other atrocious lies, I'm currently reading "The Cell" by stephan King...but my all time favorite book is "Two girls: One fat one thin" my Mary Gaitskill. It's amazing, but draining.

Movies

Best- Eternal Sunshine of the spotless mind, Donnie Darko, Killer Clowns from outer space, Boys Don't Cry, Cigarettes and Romance, Bound, Empire Records, Foxfire, Brouge

Worst- Blades of Glory (Worst Movie Ever!), Ace Ventura Pet Detective, Any of the National Lampoons.

I love books. I'll read almost anything. My favorites are the Harry Potter series (didn't like the movies much though), The Red Tent, To Kill a Mockingbird. I also like chick lit and historical fiction. I'll really read anything though. Lately all I read are my textbooks and some of those are very poorly written.

I'm not much of a movie watcher anymore.

Saw a good movie last night - A Righteous Kill. I was fully prepared to NOT like it (I'm not really fond of gratuitous violence etc), but it was not what I expected. I also watched Trans-siberia....don't bother getting it.

And textbooks...well, Im in the process of editing one right now, and I would agree...people may be knowledgable about their topic, well-spoken, intelligent etc, but it does not mean that they can write. I can only do so much 'editing' as I am not the author. Have pity on editors if ever you meet them - you should see the drivel they receive as manuscripts!!!

RSG - I'm not a big fan of Stephen King; I probably have read all of his works, but that's because I am a compulsive reader.

One of the things I do with books...whenever I take a business trip, I buy a current paperback at the airport, and then when I am finished with it, I put a note in the front (This book started its journey in X city on X date...please keep it going) and leave it in the chair back. I often wonder where they end up.

thats really cool Tapshoes. Marcie, when she isn't working in the lab, edits grants and such for her work. I told her editing must be the most boring job that ever existed. (No offense) I couldn't make myself do it. Then again my attention span when I'm not physically creating something is the equivalent to a two year old who has been giving way to much candy by a bad babysitter. I have lots of respect for people who can sit still long enough and pay so much attention to someone else's work. I love to write, but the the spelling and such has always been my down fall. I told Marcie that when I finally finish my book, I'm making her edit it. Saving money is my favorite. :eek: She said ok, but we will have to see what she says when I finish it.

books, current favourites are by jen lancaster, all of them. writers I go for jen lancaster, stephanie meyer, jk rowling and laurie notaro, marian keyes although I am open to whatever catches my eye, sometimes it's just a cover of a book that does it.

movies: sliding doors, jarhead, ps I love you, that's what comes to mind at this most early hour of the day here in seattle

worst movies would be any of the cohen brothers movies, i have tried to get them and i just don't, sitting through them has made me want to stick a fork in my eye

I am getting some new movie titles from reading your posts...I'll add them to the list. I forgot 2 more recent movies that I really enjoyed: In Bruges (really is very funny if you appreciate british humor) and The Bucket List.

We loved Bucket List though it made us cry and cry. It was very inspirational. Just saw Deja Vu while my hubby was doing his first day of the new clinical trial drug - thought it was good.

One of my all time favorite movies is The Game with Michael Douglas. It's several years old but I bet it'd still be good.

Books/Writers - Twilight Series/Stephenie Meyer, Stardust, Neverwhere, etc/Neil Gaiman, Harry Potter series/JK Rowling, these are just recent ones.. Too many to list really.

Movies - Last of the Mohicans, Legends of the Fall, Goodbye Girl, While you were sleeping, Titanic, Braveheart, The Notebook, Juno, Sliding Doors, Somewhere in Time, Count of Monte Cristo, Romeo and Juliet.. humm, there are just too many to list. I have lots of favorites.

I know what you mean Cool, every day every mood every time of day I have different favourites - but the things I don't like (particularly in movies) never change. And I have to say, I HATED Titanic...ship hits iceburg and sinks. As for The Notebook...it is more of an 'chick flic; why bother'; I have my own interpretation of how the ending went, and (unintentionally) made my SDs both angry and cry when I said it....

I know what you mean Cool, every day every mood every time of day I have different favourites - but the things I don't like (particularly in movies) never change. And I have to say, I HATED Titanic...ship hits iceburg and sinks. As for The Notebook...it is more of an 'chick flic; why bother'; I have my own interpretation of how the ending went, and (unintentionally) made my SDs both angry and cry when I said it....

Yeah, Titanic came out back in 97' (I still have my ticket stubs. LOL) and I saw it like 10 times at the theater. But, I was young and in a different place then. I just had a break up... and it reminded me of my first love.. So I loved it. I watched it again about 3 years ago and didn't like it as much. The Notebook is the only movie that has ever made my dad and husband cry. LOL. So, I gotta like that..

Cool - Your Dad and husband cried at The Notebook? Geez, DH and I were rolling our eyes. That's when we then decided that the way it happened was the result of a murder/suicide pact.

tap i know your a lover of books, i'm a magazine junkie, hubby as well. from his discovery/pc times stuff and my vanity fair & texas montly we could wall paper our house 10times over. i have my grandfathers collection of Life Magazie / national geographic - which he kept in these leatherbound binders.....i like reading those old articles..

movies - ANYTHING by the coen brothers (o'brother where art thou/big lebowski/hudsucker proxy....all of them). i love independent films, the IFC & sundance channel is played a lot in our home. i can't stand big budget, bang em' up movies. i have a "sick" movie & i don't feel so hot today; so i plan on popping it in: "under the tuscan sun". just a charming feel good movie, with a beautiful setting.

once a year DH & i will have a citizen kane watch party, starting w/RKO 281 (the HBO documentary about the making of Kane)...6+hrs - need a day to invest in watching it all..:biggrin: