Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Help! What to do about vomiting

Hi all, I'm away from home and seem to have the flu or food poisoning. I can drink Water, but I can't keep it down. I keep having waves of nausea followed by vomiting (I already emptied from the other end, too). Of course the vomiting doesn't do much because the band doesn't let anything come up. Meanwhile I'm scared the violent retching is going to hurt my stomach near the band, or dislodge it or something.

Has anyone had the flu or uncontrolled vomiting? What did you do? Thanks so much, I'm starting to panic a bit here.

may want to call your doc and ask for some zophran or phenergan. The phen will make you sleep it off, but the zophran should help the nausea. instead of Water, try sucking on ice cubes or popsicle for awhile until you can tolerate water better.

I would say yes call the MD, I know they want to prevent band slippage at all cost, so I cannot see why the would give you an nausea medication. Good Luck

Thanks very much. I have a call into the doc on call. Hopefully he'll have a similar idea.

While you're waiting, quit drinking for a few hours. Once the nausea subsides, try a LITTLE bit of Water...like a few swallows, less than an ounce. If you can keep that down about 20-30 min and the nausea doesn't come back, drink a little more. If you can, get some gatorade (sugar free if you want) it will help keep your fluids and electrolytes in balance. Don't eat until you are nausea free and can keep liquids down well, then do a bland diet (for kids they say BRAT diet...bananas, rice, applesauce, toast) don't know about the rice and toast for you, depending on restriction, but some applesauce or so on until you're feeling better.

I think your band will probably be fine but you need to break the drink/vomit/drink/vomit cycle.

Unless you got a fill in the last week or 2?

you can't do the BRAT diet because of the toast and rice, and the BRAT diet doesn't work unless you eat ALL of them. A nurse told me that. Its a common misconception, otherwise, so try sipping Water but if you can't just sucking on some ice cubes or popsicle will do.

you can't do the BRAT diet because of the toast and rice, and the BRAT diet doesn't work unless you eat ALL of them. A nurse told me that. Its a common misconception, otherwise, so try sipping Water but if you can't just sucking on some ice cubes or popsicle will do.

Respectfully, DH has been an RN for 25 years, and I'm in nursing school. BRAT diet does work although it's best for diarrhea...and you don't have to ingest all 4 at same time, or ingest all 4. Applesauce is bland but is an easy source of energy. banana has natural type paregoric and can slow the bowels down. Toast can absorb stomach acid and calm it down. You can pick and choose from the menu. But it's best to stop all water for a few hours to let your nausea abate. :thumbup:

Thanks so much to everyone for the advice. I've stopped the Water even though my sister was pushing it on me! I feel better already actually. The doc hasn't called back so I don't have an Rx for anything. Would it be dangerous to take an Ambien so I can sleep through it?

Thanks again everyone -- like my own little ER.

I wouldn't take ambien...for one thing, no Water for a while. For another, you may just vomit it up and the point is to let your stomach chill a little! AND if you "sleep" through it you might aspirate, actually. That, my girl, could kill you! You were probably just kidding anyway!

Once you've gone a few hours without vomiting, try a little Water. Your sister had the right idea but while you are so nauseated that you vomit it back up, it's best to just stop and let things settle down a little. Once you can keep it down, Gatorade really will help you feel better. Don't have to drink oodles either, just a pint or so. :thumbup:

Glad you're doing better!

I wouldn't take ambien...for one thing, no Water for a while. For another, you may just vomit it up and the point is to let your stomach chill a little! AND if you "sleep" through it you might aspirate, actually. That, my girl, could kill you! You were probably just kidding anyway!

Actually I wasn't kidding about the Ambien, which shows you how much common sense I have about medical care. Heh. I'll let things chill out and try some gatorade in the morning. Thanks again!

Actually I wasn't kidding about the Ambien, which shows you how much common sense I have about medical care. Heh. I'll let things chill out and try some gatorade in the morning. Thanks again!

sleep well! Hope it turns out to just be a nasty 24-hour bug! :thumbup:

You can still vomit with the band. However, I would be concerned about the dislodging business. Call your doctor. You need something for the nausea while your system goes through the bug.

Respectfully, DH has been an RN for 25 years, and I'm in nursing school. BRAT diet does work although it's best for diarrhea...and you don't have to ingest all 4 at same time, or ingest all 4. Applesauce is bland but is an easy source of energy. banana has natural type paregoric and can slow the bowels down. Toast can absorb stomach acid and calm it down. You can pick and choose from the menu. But it's best to stop all Water for a few hours to let your nausea abate. :eek:

Sorry, didn't mean to step on your toes. I went through nursing school, am still paying for it, but decided it wasn't for me because I can't handle blood. So I know what they teach you. I am however, a dietitian, yes, BRAT helps, and you don't have to ingest them all at once, but its much much better to eat them all spread out because they complement each other in various ways.Some people can eat what others can't so there is no way of knowing, but most likely, a banded person can't or shouldn't eat bananas, unless blended and that usually means milk cause who blends it without it or in Water? I'm sure someone, but not most people can handle it. Nor rice because it expands in your stomach, and toast is not such a great idea either, so that leaves Applesauce. I don't know about you, but too much applesauce leaves a nasty acid taste in my mouth and tummy after awhile. On a sick stomach who knows. Unless I have some toast to balance that out, but alas no toast. Also, respectfully, you will hear nurses tell people to give water after vomiting, well waiting an hour then water. Water is actually ok, but still not the best solution. A DOCTOR, and schooling has taught me that water will most likely just make you vomit again. A drink with sodium, potassium, some sugar ie: Pedialyte or Gatorade has these items (electrolytes are awesome to help stomach calm down). In fact, don't even eat solids until the vomiting has stopped really. sorry, I should have been more clear on what I meant.:crying:

I managed the T part of BART just fine. I'm just about back to normal now. Thanks again everyone. I'm not sure I understand how the vomiting thing works with a band in there but it still seems very tight so I guess it didn't slip!

Next time I'll know not to force Water if it's not staying down. Dry heaving through a band is a brutal experience!

Glad you feel better! It's just best to let the tummy chill out when you have a stomach virus or bug like that; to keep trying to drink anything can just dehydrate you. :)