Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I am about to give up can anyone help me?!?!

I had the lapband surgery in feb. And i have lost some weight but it has been absolute hell. I have had three tightenings since, and when they do the adjustment they do a swallow study so i know my band is not slipped, but i am constantly sick. One day i can eat, and the other day i cant. I haven't been able to eat any meat in three months or longer. I can only eat salad, but whatever i can eat, i can eat a lot of it, so i dont think my band is too tight. Can someone help me, i am basically bulimic and it's like the EXORCIST.

I am about to give up! Please someone help me!

My goodness, isn't your doctor helping you through this? He should be all over finding out what is going on. As for the eating... Just because you can eat as much as you want doesn't mean you should. I'm not into this as long as you yet, but I do know that I chose the LB and I understood that I was going to have to do some work too... Otherwise I would have had bypass...... I recommend that you talk to your doctor and then get yourself on a Portion Control regime of some sort.. Changing the amount you eat could help with the rest.. You never know!!!!! Keep the faith and don' t give up now.... Julie

I have to ask.. Why does everyone say that they are going to give up so easily.. Instead of saying one is going to give up one should say they need the assistance to continue you on full force..and it is not just this thread I have seen it several times on the boards..

I would suggest that you speak with your doctor .. Tell him/her everything and ANYTHING you are feeling .. You must be open and honest with your doctor to help them help you ..if you are unable to remember certain steps or processes to take food wise then get with your nutritionist and see if he/she can help you make a food plan that will work for you..

Not all food will be tolerated by your stomach now .. So you might need to find softer leaner meats to consume. Try a tuna salad or chicken salad and see if you can handle those.. Experiment, but dont stuff yourself.. You should not be getting sick or throwing up and if you are you really needs to make your doctor help you through this..

Best of luck.. and don't give up.. Giving up is not the way out your are looking for .. Be strong and make your doctor help you... You can do this..

Edited by meschultz

First, it's not me giving up easily, I have seriously not been able to eat anything but salad for 3 months, I have not been able to eat a bite of meat. ANY meat, and believe I have tried them all. My doctor is was no help, so I switched to a different doctor, this doctor does the same thing...If my doctors would help I wouldn't be asking for advice, my nutritionist answer is diet and exercise, well I know that, but the lack of food makes me feel like I'm going to pass out when I'm on the treadmill. I am stuck completely..

I understand when everyone is saying if you can eat a lot not to. I don't I have lost 30 lbs in 30 days and it's not in a healthy way, I am more concerned of my health now then when I was 70 lbs heavier.

Try putting your meat in a food processor to chop it up. Then use a baby spoon to eat it. This may sound drastic, but it will help you get Protein in, get you to adjust your eating habits to small bites, and hopefully help you in being able to eat something other than salad. Also, try small pieces of cheese, they are filling and soft so it may help in filling you up with a smaller amount of food.< /p>

I think you are in "bandster hell" and you will benefit from being patient and trying many different things to get you through this. Use this board as often as needed and I thnk that will help too. Good Luck.

Are you taking tiny eraser size bites of meat and chewing it until it's liquid?

then waiting and see if it goes down before trying another bite?

Stephyd....I feel like I need to apologize for the people who have judged you when you came to them for support. That being said, lets try to get some suggestions out there that may help. I have been banded for 2yrs and know the emotional roller coaster that this journey can be. Please know everyone is here for you. This is the one place you should be able to come and be completely honest and not feel judged. Everyones evolves at their own pace. You'll be fine. Have you tried making casseroles. I would overcook the noodles and make sure i chopped the death out of the hamburger so it was no longer identifiable. The mush was actually quite tasty. Make sure you take small bites but more important, chew, chew, chew. Have you been checked to make sure the band is placed correctly or that it hasn't slipped? If this keeps up make sure you go to a doctor who will listen to you because something may be wrong. Be persistant. Best of luck to you and please let me know how things turn out for you.

I haven't been able to eat any meat in three months or longer. I can only eat salad, but whatever i can eat, i can eat a lot of it, so i dont think my band is too tight.

actually stephyd, i think you are too tight. oddly enough my band gets tighter over time, and when lean meats become difficult - i go in and get a slight unfill. while a salad is a healthy choice, i'd be concerned of nutrition & the lack of Protein and complex carbs in your diet. have you tried healthy soups: lentils/chili? the thought of pureed meat doesn't appeal to me, but as suggested above - have you tried egg/tuna/chicken salad?

again, i think you may be too tight. you shouldn't be restricted to a point of only being able to eat salads...

stephyd - I'm going to approach this from a different angle. I think you need to be assertive with your doctor and insist on tests to see if something has happened with your band. Being sick every other day is not normal. If your doctor doesn't take your complaints seriously because he (like many doctors) has become complacent and approaches everyone with a "one size fits all" mentality - then contact patient services at the hospital. They have reps who can help you. Good luck. I hope you get better because I know this is not what you signed up for!

First, it's not me giving up easily, I have seriously not been able to eat anything but salad for 3 months, I have not been able to eat a bite of meat. ANY meat, and believe I have tried them all. My doctor is was no help, so I switched to a different doctor, this doctor does the same thing...If my doctors would help I wouldn't be asking for advice, my nutritionist answer is diet and exercise, well I know that, but the lack of food makes me feel like I'm going to pass out when I'm on the treadmill. I am stuck completely..

I understand when everyone is saying if you can eat a lot not to. I don't I have lost 30 lbs in 30 days and it's not in a healthy way, I am more concerned of my health now then when I was 70 lbs heavier.

My Dr says that lettuce might cause trouble. Also, there are quite a few meats that I was told I may never be able to eat again. They suggest deli meats cut into the size of pencil erasers when beginning meat. Perhaps going back on your protien drink would help. As they say, when all else fails, revert back to liquids. My only other suggestion is go to the ER, vommiting after eating anything is life threatening. Have they checked you for slippage?

OMG 30lbs in 30 days is not at all healthy. I hope you are at least taking a vitiams everyday. I would stay on the Dr. 's until thay could give me some answers. Even if i had to get a third Dr. i would. I was banded July 21and i have lost 50lbs since surgery. But i have not even had one fill yet. But everyone is differant. Have thay done a MRI to make sure everything is ok with your band. It may not be slipped but maybe there is something else going on. Ask for a exray. I bet you are not getting much protien either. Can you drink slim fast or something hign in protien ? Keep me posted and hang in there God Bless lynnlynn