Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Havent had medically supervised diet!!!!!

Ok yall, I have not had any medically supervised diets aside from the couple of times in the nineties when I went to the "diet doctor" to get phentermine. Though I have done Weight Watchers and Quick Weight Loss (also in the nineties), I don’t have receipts for them??? I honestly cannot see waiting 6 months to undergo a diet plan and then applying for my ins. to cover my LapBand. I want to apply asap! Has nyone been approved based on BMI, Co-morbidities and your doctors recommendation alone? I mean I could list the trillion diets Ive been on and get a letter from a certified personal trainer Ive used, but I don’t have any real proof of weight loss programs. What do yall think?

Hi there! I know on the other post you said your insurance company will start covering lapband in Jan. but did you call them and did they say you would need that kind of proof? I thought I would and a referral from my Dr. and 3-6 motnhs of monthly visits to her as proof too but it looks like the insurance companies change rules from time to time b/c I was looking at old posts and others in my area w/ the same company have said they needed a few things and when I called they said I do not need a referral and all I needed to demonstrate was that I had a BMI over 40 and go to the Dr. I wanted b/c she was in their network. So call and check if you have not already. But if that is the case I would make an appt with my PCP asap and get the ball rolling. Good Luck!! Looking forward to your updates!

These are the requirements listed in the packet that my surgeon gave me. I hope that the insurance co will not be sticklers when it comes to the medically supervised weight loss plan. If that's the case Im good. If not, I'll work it out!

Hi..Most Insruance companies that require six month supervised weight management do not accept Weight Watchers, Jenny Craig, Nutrisystem etc. You need to check with the insurance company just like the other post suggested, because if six month is required you will have to start seeing a Dietition. My appointments was every two to three weeks over the six month period. On top of that I also had to go a Physholgist and get cleared, receive a referral from my PCP and also provide a copy of my last complete check up. If you start now seeing the Dietition in January when your insuranse will cover the procedure you will be half way there.

Good Luck

I really depends on two things, who your insurance provider is, and what options were purchased with your policy by your employer (or whomever provides your insurace). My insurance company required a 6 month diet plan, BUT they accepted 6 visits in 6 months with my PCP that showed my weight, bmi, and some discussion about my weight and what to do about it. Just contact your insurance company and ask for (in writing) the requirements for WLS through them. Good luck to you!

I didn't have a medically suoervised diet. My surgeon did ask me if I had receipt for programs that I have tried, which I did not. On top of that I did not have any weight related medical problems so it was a challenge. My PCP physician was great in writing a detailed history of the prescriptions that I was on, and she also provided my weight going back 3 years, so the insurance co could see it was an onging struggle. It took an entire year, but I eventually got approved. So I would say get as much documentation as possible that you have attempted to lose weight on your own.

Hi..Most Insruance companies that require six month supervised weight management do not accept Weight Watchers, Jenny Craig, Nutrisystem etc. You need to check with the insurance company just like the other post suggested, because if six month is required you will have to start seeing a Dietition. My appointments was every two to three weeks over the six month period. On top of that I also had to go a Physholgist and get cleared, receive a referral from my PCP and also provide a copy of my last complete check up. If you start now seeing the Dietition in January when your insuranse will cover the procedure you will be half way there.

Good Luck

Be careful though - my insurance wants the diet supervised by my PCP - not a dietition or a nutritionist. I would check first!

Good morning,

Similar to slim n thin, my 6 month dr supervised diet was 6 months of office visits of weigh ins; however the dr wrote a very detailed letter--this is part of your medical necessity letter--which profiled each month, with exercise, diet modifications, rx. The purpose is to attest that no matter what the regular norm of weight loss initiatives are not working and thus the impetus for wls. When I began the process, my dr got preauthorization in November; however by Jan. by employer opted to exclude wls from its insurance coverage. So I ended up being self-pay. I would say whatever you can do to ensure coverage--jump through the hoops! Perhaps if you start now with your dr office they can begin, maybe you've been to the dr the last 3 months and they can reference those weigh ins? This certainly borders on professional ethics and you would not want anyone to compromise their integrity. WHAT'S FOR YOU..IS FOR YOU!