Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Should I feel guilty

So I have a problem losing the weight. I really want to jump jump jump start it.

I think part of the problem is that my Dr. told me not to diet, to stay away from any diet meals such as smart ones, lean cruisine, etc.

The thing is I like those frozen meals. They are easy, fast and good for me to take to lunch. I don't have to make a toasted sandwich, pack a lunch, or anything. I can just grab it out of the freezer and go. Since I have gotten the band I don't eat them anymore, but I bought some the other day at the grocery store.

I mean, I think they are a good portion for me and I tend to feel like I'm starving at night and not so hungry at lunch time so I can eat less calories during the day since I am taking so many in at night. Until I get a fill do you think it's okay?

I know I know. Listen to your dr...but my Dr. can be a jerk. Really great surgeon, but a jerk.

So did any of your Doctors tell you something similar? Just wondering?

My doc said to use the frozen low cal meals because they are good for portion size and will train your eye and tummy to accept a normal amount of food.

As for feeling guilty, I maintain that guilt should be reserved for things that are morally wrong. Therefore I never feel guilty. It is very liberating!

That said, it seems like you should follow doctor's orders and, yes, they are all different.

Good luck.

I am answering you while munching on my Smart Ones three cheese mac & cheese. I eat something similar for lunch every day, and I've lost weight at a pretty good rate, I think. I eat them for the same reasons you listed; convenience and the fact that I actually like them. I see absolutely no reason not to.

I eat a Smart Ones almost everyday for lunch. They are the perfect size portion and some are pretty good. I've tried a few that are just yuck. I also really like the Lean Cuisine pizzas, though I don't eat much of the crust. It's a nice taste of pizza, which I love. They are so easy to just grab and take to work or even heat up quickly at home. I'm always busy so I need some convenience.

I think it is really not cool of your doc to tell you not to diet. That is basically telling you to eat whatever you want and that is so bad, especially if you don't have good enough restriction, there is a reason we all had this surgery in the first place. I don't see anything wrong with low carbing or doing WW or something like that. I would go ahead and eat your frozen meals and be happy about it.

Hey Tara!

Well, I'm going to make this short but sweet.

When I'm staying on plan, which includes these meals for a lunch - I lose. When I'm not staying on plan, which includes "eating what I want" I don't lose.

Although I don't use them, I see nothing wrong in using them as they provide the portion and calorie control which are necessary for all of us.

Go for it!

I'm glad you think so. I mean, I am trying to eat better, but I think the smart ones give me a good meal and can help in teaching me what a good portion is, and I think that I am going to start bringing them for lunch EVERY DAY!

Thanks guys.

I mean if it was something that was a risk to my health, I would listen, but I get plenty plenty plenty of calories. I have a hard time staying under 2000 honestly. I think I'm eating healthy but when I put it in fitday but I'm nowhere near where I want to be. And like I said I really have to fight my hunger.

I just wish I could keep restriction.

I don't see anything really wrong with them. However, I'd watch the labels as some of them are still higher in calories, fat and sodium than even the regular meals. I don't eat them because I'm trying really hard to eat healthy and get rid of all preservatives, chemicals and garbage. Doesn't mean I succeed all the time, but I'm trying.

I think what the doctor meant when he said the thing about not dieting is that you have to learn to eat healthy and make better choices as a way of life. Most people think of diets as a short term, radical modification of your eating. This is not something that can be maintained for long. That's why many diets work for a short while and then the weight gets piled back on. The key is to just make better choices every time we eat until it becomes second nature to make those choices. Now when I crave meat it's chicken breast, turkey breast, lean pork, seafood, etc. It's extremely rare that I want beef, hamburgers or fried things. Definitely not perfect but I really do see a difference in the food choices I make. Now if I could just get my head to understand that it's really fruit I want not ice cream. And boy, oh boy do those chips and that bread look yucky, I'd rather have some celery. LOL

No you shouldn't feel guilty. You have to make the decision on what you put in your mouth. You can eat frozen dinners without dieting. It all depends on the whole plan. As has been said, you still need to watch out for sodium and fat grams but eating a frozen dinner as a part of a well rounded plan is fine. Sometimes it is so much easier to zap a lein cuizine than to actually pull out pots and pans and bake a chicken or a fish.

They are about the right size for us and some are quite good. It also gives good variety I find that if I actually cook something I have to eat the same thing for several days to finish it.

Yes, you should listen to your doctor but you also have to use some common sense too. :thumbdown:

I'm thinking of going this route since I need something quick to eat at work! I've always been home with my boys until now. Can anyone give me their favorite Smart Ones or Lean Cuisines? Thanks

I don't really see anything wrong with these. I will drink a few more glassed of Water each day to account for the extra sodium content!

Tell your doctor you'll stop eating frozen meals when he moves in with you and starts cooking all of your fresh, home-cooked meals for you. =)

I eat a Smart Ones almost everyday for lunch. They are the perfect size portion and some are pretty good. I've tried a few that are just yuck. I also really like the Lean Cuisine pizzas, though I don't eat much of the crust. It's a nice taste of pizza, which I love. They are so easy to just grab and take to work or even heat up quickly at home. I'm always busy so I need some convenience.

I am glad that I read this thread. I am really thinking about using smart ones. They seem like the perfect portion and low in calories and fat. Which ones do you like? I work at the hospital and live alone so it's super hard to find quick easy small food portions