Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

WHY are people voting for McCain?

As opposed to regular people on LBT?

Well, I think we know compared to most here, I'm a virtual golden god. I know for a fact that my quick wit, angelic face, and sculpted body make me popular. How do I know all this? My mother tells me every night...

Well, I think we know compared to most here, I'm a virtual golden god. I know for a fact that my quick wit, angelic face, and sculpted body make me popular. How do I know all this? My mother tells me every night...

Ha! As well as completely certifiable!!!!!!! :wink_smile: Who luvs ya man!

OK posters, I woke up with a question. Forget Obama, forget McCain, please. We (U.S.) are currently sneaking up on $7 trillion in debt. I think we take in approximately $2-2.5T in tax revenue a year. So even if we cut our expenses completely (can't), it would take 3ish years to get out of debt - to the Chinese. (Being indebted to the Chinese really scare me but I digress!)

Again, forget McCain/Obama....question: how are we going to get out of debt if we do not increase taxes? I do budgeting for a living! We either have to cut costs or increase revenue. Period. I guess we could always sell some of the more annoying celebrities to other countries! Just saying.

I just keep hearing the Republicans balk at Democratic taxes and they do every.single.election.time. For 6 years, the Republican congress and Republican Prez spent like drunken sailors!!!

Seriously - What are we going to do about this debt! It makes my newly banded stomach hurt to think about!

I was just reading a political article and found this post...kind of not related, but I never even thought of it this way...think about it! (I just found the post, it is not something that I wrote). I guess it just struck me. Not sure if I am being super hyper sensitive right now, but I was at a wine tasting with some friends (dem and rep) and the owner sat down with us. He bought us all drinks and somehow politics comes up. The owner is from Afganistan (name Bob let's say) and we start talking about his country. I told him that I really did not know much about his country, but that I admired how close and loving people from Afganistan are (at least from what I had seen in a friend of mine from there as well...I do admit, I am completely ignorant of the culture in that part of the world). I saw the Kite Runner and loved the movie, spoke to my friend and she told me stories of her people and family and how things were prior to Taliban taking over...her stories just fascinated me. Bob suggested that the book was much better, so I told him that I would pick it up. I love learning about other people and cultures. Anyways, out of the blue the owner (Bob) leans over to my Caucasion friend who is rep. (let's say Dave) and asks him (as though he already knew what Dave's reply was going to be), who he is voting for...my friend simply says McCain and leaves it at that. So I am thinking nothing of it but then thought "oh no, I hope that this doesn't turn into some yelling political scene". So I was just kind of smiling at Bob as he is talking to our entire table at this point, and listening to him, thinking that it was just going to be 1 question and then end, or that we would simply change subjects. Then Bob gives Dave high 5's and said "Me too, I love McCain...alright, I knew you were voting for him too. Most of my Afgan family is voting for Obama. But not me...Gosh, I hate black people!" My heart just stopped for a second, did I really hear him just say that while staring me in the face. (fyi, my mom is white and my dad is black...my skin color a few shades lighter than Bob's). Yes, he did just say that to me in the face of a black/white girl. I was thinking isn't it obvious to him what I am? Maybe not...my hair was straight that night...my friend Dave's gf actually thought that I was latina earlier. But trust me, people know that I am black by looking at me usually. OMG...what was I going to say. So my husband (who is from Finland whiter than snow), says "this is ridiculous...Let's go!" So before we go I told bob that i thought his comments were rude and I told him that he seems racist and just afraid that an intelligent black man with what seems like a wonderful family and has a good head on his shoulders may be our next pres. I proceeded to tell him that I am also black and white and then he says our favoite thing. Oh I have friends that are black...I like black people...don't get me wrong...", enough was enough, so we got up to leave and then bob says...see that is how YOU people are, you get mad and walk away...you can't have an argument, blah blah blah and whatever else he was blabbing. I guess his ignorance and hatred got to me...I had to leave his presence. Here is that post that I had found...it just made me think. It was something that I had not thought of before, but it is true...what if the lives and the candidates were reversed...

DMOCRATICAN

05:10 PMOct 24 2008

Could racism be the culprit? Ponder the following:What if the Obamas had paraded five children across the stage,including a three month old infant and an unwed, pregnant teenagedaughter?What if John McCain was a former president of the Harvard LawReview?What if Barack Obama finished fifth from the bottom of hisgraduating class?What if McCain had only married once, and Obama was a divorcee?What if Obama was the candidate who left his first wife after asevere disfiguring car accident, when she no longer measured up to hisstandards?What if Obama had met his second wife in a bar and had a longaffair while he was still married?What if Michelle Obama was the wife who not only became addictedto pain killers but also acquired them illegally through hercharitable organization?

Hmmm..that's all. Not trying to start a fight here...just thought this was interesting.

I do find it hysterical that the Republicans have to stand behind a centrist Republican (McCain) and that the Ultra conservatives have to stand behind Palin with her 17 yo knocked-up daughter! Oh the irony!

coffi - whats sad is your story is not unique, sorry for that experience.

my husband is convinced that there will be a large part of the population *white* who say they support obama - but will ultimately vote mccain in the privacy of their voting booth. i hope he's wrong.

snt - i vote we sell the gals from the view, doubtful of any takers though:wink:

snt - i vote we sell the gals from the view, doubtful of any takers though:wink:

Ha! I actually like Whoopi and Joy, sorry. Here's my list:

- Paris Hilton, Tara Reid, Courtney Love, Kim Kardashian, Lindsay Lohan

- Heidi Montag, Spencer whats-his-face, Lauren Conrad and all their ilk

- Jennifer Lopez - simply b/c she thought her tiny triathalon was more important than Phelps' 8 gold medals. ;)

- Celine Dion - sorry but she's on my list

- John Mayer, Mario Lopez - for their cheatin' ways

- Tom Cruise

That's a first pass......:)

my husband is convinced that there will be a large part of the population *white* who say they support obama - but will ultimately vote mccain in the privacy of their voting booth. i hope he's wrong.

Obama's half white for pete's sake. I really hope that isn't going through any Dems' heads.....my god.

DMOCRATICAN

05:10 PMOct 24 2008

Could racism be the culprit? Ponder the following:What if the Obamas had paraded five children across the stage,including a three month old infant and an unwed, pregnant teenagedaughter?What if John McCain was a former president of the Harvard LawReview?What if Barack Obama finished fifth from the bottom of hisgraduating class?What if McCain had only married once, and Obama was a divorcee?What if Obama was the candidate who left his first wife after asevere disfiguring car accident, when she no longer measured up to hisstandards?What if Obama had met his second wife in a bar and had a longaffair while he was still married?What if Michelle Obama was the wife who not only became addictedto pain killers but also acquired them illegally through hercharitable organization?

Hmmm..that's all. Not trying to start a fight here...just thought this was interesting.

I have seen this in several threads. You could turn this around just as easily. It has been mentioned about Mrs McCain's pain killer addiction, but nothing about Obama's cocaine use (per his own comments). What if Palin got in trouble in college for plagiarism? What if she continued to plagiarize through the years? Michelle Obama paraded their kids across the stage ("where are you, daddy?") but no one said anything about that. Palin has not hidden her children and is not embarrassed by them...would you rather her put her son in an institution and perhaps her daughter in a home for unwed mothers?? The first Mrs McCain is well taken care of and remains close friends with her ex and his wife, but you don't hear anything about that. If McCain met in a terrorist's living room, and this terrorist raised money for his campaign, people certainly would be complaining about that. What if McCain went as far as reviewing a book for this neighbor that he barely knows? People think that the Republicans need to take their blindfolds off, but when are the Democrats? There are things in the closet about all of these candidates.

I said I was going to get away from these threads but I..just ...can't ...turn away!

Edited by JWRN

Again, forget McCain/Obama....question: how are we going to get out of debt if we do not increase taxes? I do budgeting for a living! We either have to cut costs or increase revenue.

CUT COSTS. DRAMATICALLY.

For 6 years, the Republican congress and Republican Prez spent like drunken sailors!!!

Agreed. The Republicans have indeed spent too much. But if they are drunken sailors, the Dems are . . . I can't even come up with an analogy for how out-of-control it is! The point is, the spending has to stop -- on BOTH sides!

But not me...Gosh, I hate black people!" My heart just stopped for a second, did I really hear him just say that while staring me in the face. (fyi, my mom is white and my dad is black...my skin color a few shades lighter than Bob's). Yes, he did just say that to me in the face of a black/white girl.

Coffi, I think it's truly horrible that anyone would think that way, much less say it -- regardless of whom they're saying it in front of -- and regardless of your cultural background.

However, to ascribe votes to McCain just because he's "white" could just as easily go the other way. Did you hear the Howard Stern interview of the people in Harlem who said they were voting for Obama, and when McCain's issue stances were ascribed to Obama (e.g. keeping the troops in Iraq and finishing the war, being pro-life, etc.), they didn't bat an eye? Then when the interviewer asked them, "What do you think about Obama's choice for VP, Sarah Palin -- do you think she'll do a good job?" and they all answered yes? If you haven't heard the clip on YouTube, lmk and I'll try to find it for you. I have posted it somewhere on LBT already.

There are, unfortunately, idiots on both sides.

my husband is convinced that there will be a large part of the population *white* who say they support obama - but will ultimately vote mccain in the privacy of their voting booth.

I've heard the same theory, but on the "experience" issue -- that when people get into the voting booth, they'll just not be able to vote for someone with such limited experience, no matter how much of an orator the man is. We shall see . . .

I do find it hysterical that the Republicans have to stand behind a centrist Republican (McCain) and that the Ultra conservatives have to stand behind Palin with her 17 yo knocked-up daughter! Oh the irony!

Why the irony? Nobody is exempt from having "child embarassment" issues. I know preachers' kids who are sooooo wild that they scare me. I know a police officer whose child recently got arrested for theft. Just being preggers.....heck, she's going to marry the baby daddy, and they won't live off welfare...from my view she's gold!!