Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

WHY are people voting for McCain?

What grades are they in and how many do you have? Do you use a particular curriculum or do you make yours up? Just curious.

I have two girls, ages 11 and 8, grades 6 and 3, although they are far ahead in many subjects and have no problem having intelligent conversations with adults on a variety of subjects. We are currently using AOP's SOS (Switched on Schoolhouse). Prior to 3rd grade (when SOS starts) we used Abeka.

I use abecka and ACE for a couple of subjects. I also have biology and algebra taught on video, because those are my 2 worst subjects to teach. I have homeschooled my last 5 children. 2 have already graduated and are in college, 2 are in high school still, and my youngest is in 8th grade. My 2 oldest children were not homeschooled, and one didn't finish public school and got involved with drugs and drinking with his peers. The other seemed to only enjoy the social part of public school and neglected his education. This had alot to do with my decision to home school. Parents need to take control of their own childrens education and this is another reason why McCain gets my vote. He will allow for school choice, and let us homechoolers continue. It has been statistically proven that homeschooled children are far ahead in academics than public schooled children.

<iframe height="339" width="425" src="http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/22425001/vp/27265490#27265490" frameborder="0" scrolling="no"></iframe>

I use abecka and ACE for a couple of subjects. I also have biology and algebra taught on video, because those are my 2 worst subjects to teach. I have homeschooled my last 5 children. 2 have already graduated and are in college, 2 are in high school still, and my youngest is in 8th grade. My 2 oldest children were not homeschooled, and one didn't finish public school and got involved with drugs and drinking with his peers. The other seemed to only enjoy the social part of public school and neglected his education. This had alot to do with my decision to home school. Parents need to take control of their own childrens education and this is another reason why McCain gets my vote. He will allow for school choice, and let us homechoolers continue. It has been statistically proven that homeschooled children are far ahead in academics than public schooled children.

Homeschooling is a wonderful blessing, both academically and socially. I can't imagine shoving my children out the door every morning and not knowing what's going on in their lives, much less not being their best friend. I love teaching them and I love seeing them develop a love of learning. I love it when they ask me questions all day long, when they try to expand their minds, when they reject illogical arguments that they hear others using on tv and the news, and when they speak intelligently. I wouldn't change it for anything.

<iframe height="339" width="425" src="http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/22425001/vp/27265746#27265746" frameborder="0" scrolling="no"></iframe>

There are many, many more things I'm worried about -- the above is just a sample -- but does that help you understand my concerns?

Yes, thanks Gadget.

On the homeschooling subject: In our province parents get a small amount of money for homeschooling, but it doesn't come anywhere near the PPOC (price per pupil operating cost) of publicly schooled children.

Every so often someone will make noises about eliminating the right to home school, but then they realize that the enormous cost of moving all those children into the system would make it unfeasible. And in our school district there is simply not enough room to handle all the extra students without physically expanding the schools or building new ones.

On the homeschooling subject: In our province parents get a small amount of money for homeschooling, but it doesn't come anywhere near the PPOC (price per pupil operating cost) of publicly schooled children.

Every so often someone will make noises about eliminating the right to home school, but then they realize that the enormous cost of moving all those children into the system would make it unfeasible. And in our school district there is simply not enough room to handle all the extra students without physically expanding the schools or building new ones.

I'd love to get some kind of funding for homeschooling; sadly, we get nothing. We spend A LOT of money (and invest A LOT of time) doing it, and it's well worth it to see the rewards in our beautiful children. Nothing can compare to one-on-one education.

Wouldn't home schooling be a state issue? Not a federal one? This should mean that the president of your country really would have no say in its legitimacy.

Wouldn't home schooling be a state issue? Not a federal one? This should mean that the president of your country really would have no say in its legitimacy.

Homeschooling is currently a state issue and should remain that way. But I'm confident if a Democrat-controlled Congress, Senate, and Presidency could outlaw it, they would. It is a huge threat to what they believe in.

Devana, here's an article I just read that sums up a lot of my conerns about the upcoming election: So Why Did We Fight the Cold War?

One of the most chilling quotes came from Pelosi:

"We need to work toward the goal of equalizing income in our country, and at the same time limiting the amount the rich can invest." When asked how these new tax dollars would be spent, she replied, "We need to raise the standard of living of our poor, unemployed and minorities. For example, we have an estimated 12 million illegal immigrants in our country who need our help along with millions of unemployed minorities. Stock market windfall profits taxes could go a long way to guarantee these people the standard of living they would like to have as Americans."

As a believer in freedom and the free-market, this philosophy from someone in a position of power is literally terrifying.

What it really gets down to, is "from each according to his ability, to each according to his need"...which is Karl Marx, period.

You are absolutely right, and this is the philosophy that Obama also subscribes to. I read an article recently about how the American Communist Party was very excited about this election (they weren't endorsing anyone, but they were clearly electrified that "their" ideas were coming to the forefront). I suspect an endorsement from the American Communist Party would kill Obama's chances, so they're keeping their endorsement to themselves.

Well, unless the world ends in 2012 as the Mayans predicted the Republicans will get to right the ship. I hate to sound pessimistic, but I think Obama is heading for the White House.