Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I had a hernia repair with my lap-band surgery and the gas pain did last for like 4 or 5 days. This must be pretty common. My doc said that I can't have a fill until a month post-op because he did have to repair my hernia. Has anyone else had any delays in fills due to hernia repairs?

I have to wait 6 weeks to have my first fill. I was banded on the 28th. I think I have to wait is because my band has a little fill in it already. I had a hernia fixed as well but I think my doc makes all his patients wait 6 weeks regardless of hernia repair or not.... Jennifer

i am grateful to here these answers to your post! i have been searching for someone who had the dual surgery too!i am scheduled for both on august 19th. wondered if this prolonged the post op diet of liquids only. i have suffered with the hernia for years making it hard to excercise. lisa6

I had a hernia repair with my lap-band surgery and the gas pain did last for like 4 or 5 days. This must be pretty common. My doc said that I can't have a fill until a month post-op because he did have to repair my hernia. Has anyone else had any delays in fills due to hernia repairs?

Just about everyone has a delay in fills to give stomach swelling time to go down from the initial operation and to allow time to finish up the post-op diet and allow the band to heal in place. Usually no one is allowed to have a fill before 6-8 weeks although some are allowed at 4 weeks out.

I don't think this delay is specifically for hernia repair, just normal for band placement.

Yeah, I agree with Heather. Most bandsters have to wait six weeks to get the first fill only to allow for healing related to band placement. I have not heard of any delay due to hernia repair I don't see how a fill would have any affect on the hernia repair.

OT: Heather, I just now noticed that your new bundle has arrived...CONGRATULATIONS!!!!

OT: Heather, I just now noticed that your new bundle has arrived...CONGRATULATIONS!!!!

She is beautiful, perfect, wondrous . . . of course I am a wee bit biased. What is wonderful as well is that I am already back to goal at 2 months post delivery . . . yeahh band.

She is beautiful, perfect, wondrous . . . of course I am a wee bit biased. What is wonderful as well is that I am already back to goal at 2 months post delivery . . . yeahh band.

I have no doubt she is all of that and more. I noticed how great you look in the picture :sneaky:

I had a hernia repaired too. I believe this is why I've had such a difficult time healing.

What about your esophagus? Do you have spasms?

hey everyone! I havent had the surgery yet (sept 2) but I am in Medical school so just wanted to help out! everyone did a good job of explaining what a hiatal hernia is.

A hernia occurs when one part of the body protrudes through a gap or opening into another part. A hiatal hernia forms at the opening in your diaphragm where your food pipe (esophagus) joins your stomach. Part of the stomach pushes through this opening causing a hiatal hernia. This usually causes nothing more than heart burn.... but it can be BAD heart burn. This is because the food and acid from the stomach are allowed to go back into your esophagus. So for those of you with no symptoms it wasnt affecting your body and would not have been discovered with out lapband. But great for those of you who got it fixed because you can avoid serious heart burn or GERD (gastro esophageal refulx disease) that can cause long lasting problems in your esophagus!

this is so normal...I had the same thing...I had no idea I had a hernia...my daughter had lap band on Wed..and she also had a hernia....this is very common...

after 3 years of no weight loss, throwing up several times in a week, , night coughing etc,,, and a new opion from another lap band Dr. who founf a hiatel hernia. Band has been unfilled, will have repair work in 2 wks.

Has any one else had this problem after being nbanded for 3 years? How did it turn out.

Hi there--i am having the same problem. was banded 3 yrs ago..then RE-BANDED due to a slip--and after that time--could never really fill up the band--AWFUL reflux at night--and finally, i had a laryngeal spasm (you don't want to know)--and i couldn't breathe--so finally went back to surgeon (duh) and had esophagram--and it shows a possible hiatal hernia. not sure what they will do for this--they took 1cc out of the band--now down to 5.5cc and i can finally SWALLOW things--like WATER--and have to see surgeon again in may (no appt's until then)...would love to hear from anyone w/ an opinion. Thank you!

When the surgeon came out to tell my husband that every went fine, she told him she'd repaired a hiatel hernia...which I didn't know I had and no one mentioned to me when I had the upper GI series done several weeks before.

That said, according to the surgeon, I may have had this since I was a child and it explains why I had GERD back then (I was a normal weight kid), as well as an occasional chest pain which would pass if I'd breath slowly. No GERD of any sort now and per the surgeon, it wasn't anything to be too concerned about.